New Tool (3.0): Vsti From Menu

v1.83

• VST3 are now marked (VST3) in name and should load properly now when chosen

• Slot button is back to choose a new empty instrument slot: On opening will be red if chosen instrument slot is already occupied. Also a checkbox to automatically add/ got an empty instrument slot when tool is initialised.

inst slot

////

All current updates are to the search boxes with these shortcuts

`VFM` Search and Load VSTi

`VFM` Search And Load FX

////

1 Like

Nice! :smiley:

I have a few tweak ideas:

• How about you only append (VST3) when a VST2 also exist just to have a clean list?

• Personally I prefer it made a new slot under the selected instrument in the Instrument box instead of creating the slot at the bottom but thatā€™s just personal preference.

But it works great, Iā€™m using it all the time! :slight_smile:

I did tryout having VST3 on doubles only but it could be a bit confusing for people unaware. Probably something that could be optioned. I guess the doubling clash issue is not just limited to VSTs aswell and other formats on Mac and Linux could have the same thing. So really need to make an option/s that covers all of those cases.

re: the insert slot, is added at the end as if you have a large song with multiple instruments, adding higher up in the list can cause a bit of slowdown in renoise, as it has to re-assign a lot of pattern notes to new instruments. Again something that could be optioned though.

For now Iā€™m just leaving as-is for a bit, just to make sure no more bugs appear in core search.

1 Like

This tool is awesome :slight_smile: Thank you !

I did however get a crash report fairly quick after trying it. :slight_smile:

Tools/ledger.scripts.VstiFromMenu.xrnx/main.luaā€™ failed in one of its notifiers.
Please contact the author (Ledger) for assistanceā€¦

./Search_FX_GUI.lua:735: variable ā€˜loaded_plugā€™ is not declared
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ā€˜_errorā€™
[string ā€œlocal mt = getmetatable(_G)ā€¦ā€]:29: in function <[string ā€œlocal mt = getmetatable(_G)ā€¦ā€]:24>
./Search_FX_GUI.lua:735: in function <./Search_FX_GUI.lua:721>

Hope you can solve it

Thanks for the report Dale, should be fixed in 1.84 here. Let me know if any further issues:

////

ledger.scripts.VstiFromMenu_V1.84.xrnx

////

searchbox shortcuts:

VFM Search and Load VSTi

VFM Search And Load FX

2 Likes

Thank you mr Ledger! So far so good :slight_smile:

One question i haveā€¦ is that I can EDIT the names that appear in the lists on the screen. Is that a feature? or a bug? or just ā€˜the way it isā€™ due to some limitation. ? Thank you

Itā€™s a limitation of using a textfield for a readout, so generally just avoid editing it. If you do by mistake then just re-click on the titlebar of the tool and continue a search/ delete operation and the results should be restored .

1 Like

I am getting crashes with this version of vsti from menu, and also strange GUI behaviour which rectified itself open restarting machine, perhaps you would like a log? I like its new format though and its such a useful addition to workflow, there are other things I would change if I could as well, such as not having it remember the last called upon plugin, but perhaps others find that change useful, bit like reaper, great work on this highly useful tool, looking forwards to it being more stable

Hi James, this sounds like it could be more to do with the API/ renoise. Is it possible to reproduce or only happens once after tool is first installed?

If you post a log I can have a look, but if it is a one off thing it may need taktik to get to the bottom of it.

Yes this may be added as an option in a later version. If you want to clear the old search currently you can use ā€˜Deleteā€™ or ā€˜Ctrl + Backspaceā€™ for full clearance when reopening the tool.