New Tool (3.0): Vsti From Menu

I hadn’t noticed until you asked, but only one AU effect shows up in the FX list, and I have loads more so it seems like there is something wrong there. It also shows up as a string of numbers/letters rather than the proper name.

I don’t know how to execute a testpad script at this exact moment, but I work in IT so I’m not scared to figure it out and get back to you. I’ll post the results as soon as I get them. Really hope this can work - it’s such a great tool

Unfortunate for me not what I was hoping to hear on the AU fx …

If you want to give the script editor option a go you first:

-Go to the renoise help menu
-click “show the preferences folder”
-Open the renoise Config.xml in notepad (or whatever your default text ed is)

Find this option with a Ctrl + F search:

<showscriptingdevelopmenttools>false</showscriptingdevelopmenttools>  

-set false to true

-save and close Config.xml
-close renoise
-open renoise again

-go to the renoise tools menu and there should be a “Scripting and Terminal Editor” entry - open it
-Find TestPad.Lua in the browser on the left- open it

-paste this into open file :

rprint(renoise.song().instruments[1].plugin_properties.available_plugin_infos)  

-Press Execute (button on the bottom right)
-Copy and paste the result back here / let me know if you get stuck

Cheers mate - I’ve already managed it but I realised I’ve got to get up for work in the morning so stopped before I actually ran the script in your post. Will do it first thing in the morning.

Good night for now!

No probs, I`ll keep an eye out for your results

I feel like a bit of a numpty for asking this, but after I’ve run your script how can I select and copy the entire output in one go? I only seem to be able to select the text that’s visible onscreen in the testpad, and it doesn’t scroll down when I try to highlight the text. Command + A doesn’t work to select all either! I’m most confused. :slight_smile:

Hmm yes I expected it would work by dragging…

However it seems you can use the shift key:

• Place beginning of the selection at the top with left click
  • use scroll bar to go to end of the printout
  • hold shift and click at the end of it and it should all be selected

Cheers - got it; I can’t believe I didn’t think of trying Shift! Here’s the output below; it’s quite long, mainly thanks thanks to Automap I think, which basically creates duplicate wrapped plugins of every plugin on your system, effectively doubling the amount of plugins you have… Not sure if it helps your investigations, but some plugins which are listed as (Automap) versions aren’t actually installed any more - if you forget to unwrap the plugin before you uninstall it the Automap version still thinks the Automap version is installed, but they don’t open since the original plugin isn’t there anymore, and I’ve not got around to re-installing them just to uninstall them again. This has never been a problem with any other audio software I use, but I thought it might be worth mentioning in this case.:

Thanks thats great, should be able to take account of the automap stuff too. It maybe will be a couple of revisions to test but hopefully we should get there now.

Cool - Looking forward to developments! :)

Could you see if this works for instruments now?

Attachment 3407 not found.

That’s completely broken it! Oh dear…

I get this error on installing:

…and the “Load VST” option isn’t even there anymore in the Instrument Selector menu, nor in the Mixer for the VST effects menu.

[quote=“Ledger, post:70, topic:31023”]
Could you see if this works for instruments now?

Attachment 3407 not found.

Partially…

I also got this error.

Perhaps in this version it is fixed (Do unload the tool prior to installing if you already experienced the bug or you will most likely get a large list!), i also added something extra:Bridge indication, so you can instantly see if a plugin is native or will be bridged.

that “has menu entry” should hopefully catch it…

edit:

Fx are temporarily disabled here for bug testing, makes things easier. It seems on further inspection of your print-out/ error that the automap plugs are causing some probs. please try vVs version to see if this helps

edit: 2 Also I see that you have for example Aalto as an AU and VST installed, this would have caused the same prob for instruments. This is maybe something to look at after aswell so both could be used.

Will do - just on my way back from work at the mo but I’ll test it when I get home. Shouldn’t be too long…

It’s definitely getting there with the version vV posted - no error on install and all AUs and VSTs are listed correctly with proper names. The non-Automap plugins all open fine, but the Automap versions fail with this error (for example, Iris):

Yeah, I use Reaper as well as Renoise and find that some AU versions of instruments and effects have weird issues with preset menus not loading properly in Reaper, whereas the VST version of the same plug works fine. I usually try both VST and AU versions out in Reaper and remove the other one, but haven’t got round to testing all of them yet.

Hmm…
could you try running this in the (empty) testpad on an empty song and let me know if it works? Iris should load in instrument slot 1

renoise.song().instruments[1].plugin_properties:load_plugin(Audio/Generators/AU/aumu:0xF1D41450:NVTa)  

or maybe absynth 5:

renoise.song().instruments[1].plugin_properties:load_plugin(Audio/Generators/AU/aumu:0xC7E81551:NVTa)  

Ok we can deal with this one later then.

I hope I’m doing this one right… I get this output in the Tetpad from the first script you posted for Iris. New, empty project. Iris didn’t load into slot one after execution:

I closed and re-opened Renoise after running that, and I got this error on opening it (I’ve currently got vV’s version of this tool installed, which didn’t give me an error when I installed it, as I mentioned before):

Running the Absynth 5 script gives this output (oh, and Absynth didn’t load into slot 1 either; I’m not sure if that’s what is supposed to happen or not):

ok here is a version that shouldn`t cause the start-up error:

Attachment 3409 not found.

With regards to the test I sent you please try this one (sorry last error was my fault here missing quotation marks)

Iris:

renoise.song().instruments[1].plugin_properties:load_plugin("Audio/Generators/AU/aumu:0xF1D41450:NVTa")  

No problem - I hope I’m being useful here!

That script automatically closes the Testpad and brings up the message:

Something else I’ve just noticed and if I’m honest I’m a teeny bit worried about, is that I’ve just opened a project I’m currently working on and all of the Automap plugins which are loaded in the project can no longer be found. I’ve uninstalled the tool and reopened Renoise and they still can’t be found. I know they’ve not been deleted from the system but even after a rescan of my plugins they aren’t getting picked up any more.

taktik…dblue…help! :ph34r: Edit: sorted via a plug rescan

Yes very useful thanks! That message has narrowed down the bug that it is either: a renoise internal/API issue, or a Lua string issue that I am not aware of yet. I will look into the latter and hope one of the devs may chime in, in the mean time.

Sit tight in the meanwhile!