New Tool (3.0): Vsti From Menu

I suppose I might give it a try at some point, if I come up with a good idea for a tool. The only scripting I’ve ever done is with IanniX (http://www.iannix.org/en/index.php); an open source OSC/MIDI event controller that uses a kind of JavaScript language. That’s just scripting to create algorithmic music though - not scripts that actually change how a program behaves. That kind of gives me the fear!

And yes, I forgot to say thanks to vV for your input too - it’ll never fail to impress me how communities like this one pull together to help each other out. Things aleays seem to get done so much quicker than with any of the “big name” DAWs.

Hey Ledger - I didn’t see the post above my last one when I posted that; something to do with my phone I guess… Yeah, that last update separates VST and AU instruments. Perfect! :)

Cool!

Will post this up on the tools page soon then.

edit:

oh damn this is nice…for the future…maybe its possible to add a feature to sort the plugs in folders and (virtually) renaming them? that would be just fantastic ;)

Hi kolacell, I am not actively developing tools at the moment but just maintaining them when needed. Thanks for the suggestion though, I may get a burst of scripting in the future again.

A small update with two keyboard shortcuts added to cycle through the currently selected VSTi/ Au… plugins presets:

keyboard shortcuts:

`VFM` Next VSTi Preset"

`VFM` Previous VSTi Preset"

edit: status bar updates tell you the preset name and number you are choosing.

http://www.renoise.com/tools/vsti-from-menu

edit: Up on tools page.

v 0.84
-Fixed bug when only one preset was available in switching presets shortcuts. Should not cause a warning now.

http://www.renoise.c…/vsti-from-menu

Now added a search function for instruments with this tool, much faster than menus!

To use it use the shortcut:

VFM Search and Load VSTi

and you get the following search GUI:

• As long as the window is focused you just type the plug name you want to load into the current instrument slot and press (return / Load-button) when it appears in the popup.
    NOTE: choosing the textfield specifically and typing in it will not work, so just type as soon as you see the GUI.

• Up and Down arrows can be used to browse the pop-up list and then press (return / Load-button) to load the plug. This can be done in conjunction with the name search. You can also use the popup menu as normal to select the plug.

• Ctrl + Backspace, clears the textfield

• Checkbox sets whether the plugin GUI Editor opens on load.

4337 Search Vsti.PNG

Attachment 4336 not found.

This is neato!

This post refers to the older right-click and select from the list version, not the newer VFM tool posted lately:

I wonder if it would be possible to organise the way it lists the plugs a little differently?
Maybe have an option to only show user-created groups - that way the drop down list could be organised according to the users favourite/most used plugs and kept brief.

[quote=“Ledger, post:108, topic:31023”]
Now added a search function for instruments with this tool, much faster than menus!

To use it use the shortcut:

VFM Search and Load VSTi

and you get the following search GUI:

• As long as the window is focused you just type the plug name you want to load into the current instrument slot and press (return / Load-button) when it appears in the popup.
    NOTE: choosing the textfield specifically and typing in it will not work, so just type as soon as you see the GUI.

• Up and Down arrows can be used to browse the pop-up list and then press (return / Load-button) to load the plug. This can be done in conjunction with the name search. You can also use the popup menu as normal to select the plug.

• Ctrl + Backspace, clears the textfield

• Checkbox sets whether the plugin GUI Editor opens on load.

4337 Search Vsti.PNG

Attachment 4336 not found.

Great stuff - really speeds things up. Could this be extended to the FX too?

The textual/keyboard entry and a quick tap of return to find and load a plugin is a revelation, but having to then mouse up and check/uncheck the GUI box kinda slows things down somewhat. Nit-picky maybe ;) Seems like a way to toggle that with the keyboard would be optimal.

Either way, very cool tool and one which I will end up using a lot - thanks!

I`m not planning on adding this to be honest, renoise now has a favourites menu itself on right-click. It only appears though once you have created them in the default instrument list (instrument settings) by clicking the stars.

FX is soon and yes the open GUI checkbox was planned be assigned to F1 in the next release

edit: just in case you missed there are a couple of new global shortcuts added recently aswell, which speed up preset browsing a lot, if the plug exposes them to renoise:

Great stuff Ledger, thanks again.

Adding stuff to ‘favourites’ and then, within favourites, creating subgroups is the workaround I can see here.
Bon! :drummer:

Small update 0.88

–Pressing F1 or F12 will now toggle the show GUI checkbox
–bug fix when pressing return on “No Match” causing an error
–other code tidying

Attachment 4340 not found.

–previous 0.87 changes

v 0.89 now Search box function implemented for FX:

VFM Search and Load FX

Same applies from the search VSTi search box:

NOTE: These searches check the short names of plugs, so if you have renamed plugs with the renoise right-click “Show Short Names” mode enabled, the devices show up renamed in the search. If you have renamed the long names (when the vendor is shown aswell as the plug name), it has no effect on the search, you won`t see anything renamed in the searchbox popup.

Woot, great stuff - works like charm, thanks!

Version 1.0 up on tools page, small bugfix for box size being to small in some circumstances.

http://www.renoise.c…/vsti-from-menu

I notice that the search will find the first occurrence of the typed string, regardless of it’s position within the target string.

So, if I type ‘DC’ it will find ‘Adaptive DC’ before it finds ‘DC Compressor’. I’m not sure thats the behaviour you would expect.

Cheers
Thal

Yes, thought about this, it probably would be a bit neater modified.

noted for when I get back to this tool.

3.0 Beta compatible version now up in first post and on tools page:

http://forum.renoise…post__p__222461

I uninstalled the previous version and installed this v3 compatible one. I’m getting an error on renoise startup telling me this tool is busy or has stopped working … and do I want to terminate it, which I have to do otherwise the error happens again.

Cheers