New Tool (3.1): I Can Haz Sequencer! (Dec 2017)

TBH I’m not sure Ledger. All I did was transcode the mp4 into a…new mp4 file and uploaded onto that gify.com site. So the only (speculative) reasoning I can deduce from that is that there is something discourse doesn’t like about the original mp4 file when it tries to auto download :slight_smile:

[Edit:] Similar(ish) topic → Display Animated Gifs with the Download Remote Image To Local Enabled - feature - Discourse Meta

1 Like

-v0.3

• Added ‘Chord Mode’. When enabled the sliders will effect all notes on the sliders’ target line so you can control all the volume pan delay values of a chord at once.

• When a note value is entered manually underneath sliders, the global popup for target note will update to the same. This means the next note added will be the same new pitch.

chord mode

3 Likes

Small Update:

v0.31

• On opening the tool, it will scan for present notes and set the tools starting note to the first note found. This helps workflow particularly when working on drums on different tracks. As the main shortcut works as a toggle, you can simply close and re-open the tool ready on the correct note each time.

• There is also a button labeled [1st] to capture the note manually:

i can haz

2 Likes

v0.32

• The ‘1st’ button shows light-grey now when the target note matches the first note in the sequence

• Fixed a bug where starting the tool on an fx column would fire an error

• When Choosing “DEVICE” as your fx target when there are no fx present yet, the sliders will be disabled and a message “Add Command To Column”. This reminds you that you need to add some commands for you DSPs manually first for the tool to read (This can be done by right clicking the sliders in the fx lane as normal in renoise)

• The [Clear Silent Notes] button will now hilight in light-grey when the tool identifies there are silent notes that can be cleared

• The renoise Pan, Volume And Width sliders in the renoise mixer device can now be controlled when “DEVICE” mode is used

• In “DEVICE” mode you can now double-click the sliders and they will go back to the default values for that parameter (This will be added later across the tool)

2 Likes

v0.33

• Default values for the sliders needed some extra tweaking, should be less buggy now

• Inverted the hilighting for the [1st] button so it hilights when the first note is not matching. This matches the hilighting of [Clear Silent Notes] button and draws your attention when you might want to press it.

• “Bypass” will display when automating in DEVICE mode (DSP checkbox bypasses)

In first post

1 Like

Wow. I have not seen this before. What a great tool. The way this gives instant velocity control when using qwerty, is awesome. I’ll give this a +1 for native implementation.

By all means. Not taking keyboard focus when used, makes this tool almost feel native. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, generally like to pass the keystrokes back to renoise with tools when there’s no need for the tool to take over focus. The exception where this tool will capture the note inputs is with the ‘GRAB MODE [G] button’ which allows you to input pitches to the sequencer as you go. It will automatically disengage when you close the tool/ activate edit mode in renoise though, (ofc can be switched off manually too)

1 Like

Hello friend, would you make some changes for me, I can pay you for it, I think we can make the work and way of working of your script easier. Many years ago I worked with music and used a little application called HZ37 that did amazing things with music especially in edits, I have an idea that seems feasible taking advantage of the functions and effects of renoise and its script. If you are interested, let me know

Had a quick lookup for HZ37 but couldn’t find much about it. What was the general idea with it?

Basically the Hz37 editor assisted in editing, cutting and rearranging music. The idea behind the HZ37 was to recreate a new song with the same elements as the music, where certain parts were rearranged in the musical structure itself, such as new drums, vocal cuts and musical extension typical of a remix, with reverse effects added, cuts, repetitions, etc… The HZ37 worked as follows, at each bar of musical excerpt a certain modification was made using basically functions (effects) similar to what the Renoise has, but much less flexible, as the biggest obstacle for the period was fractionate certain 1 bar files in an audio editor and then bring them into the HZ37 editor application to be reorganized, manipulate them and again fit them into the musical sequence, in a given Daw, such as Cubase or Ableton. You did the right thing with your script in many directions… but for the workflow it was just as difficult as the HZ37 was back then. I believe that if you make some changes mainly in the use of the slice trigger command, you will set a new precedent in modern music. We only need the slice effects corresponding to the transients of a common drum set. Slice effect represented by kick, s00, snare s10 and etc… we don’t need effects ranging from s00/sFF ), since we must work in 8 or 16 segments, the rest is repetition. And to make the operation easier, using a slide makes everything difficult, maybe pads or anything else. The idea is to have the starting note repeated on all pads. However, the sequence itself is established by the slice effect command. I made a little space that might help to understand the idea and a preset renoise.

teste.xrns (975.6 KB)
design

Thanks for explainations and xrns. It looks like a new tool idea altogether, but some ideas to think on.