New tool (3.4.3): ModFXRender v2.0 build 037 (November 2023)

ModFXRender, What is this?

ModFXRender is a massive sample rendering tool created by ulneiz. It can take advantage of sample modulation sets, sample effect sets, phrases or track DSP effects to return rendered samples with these features. It also allows working with the initial and final silences of each sample, normalize, extend samples and compress peaks for mastering…

ModFXRender. GUI

The GUI is constructed so that the tool appears as integrated as possible with Renoise.

The screenshot is descriptive enough. Take a look at its capabilities:

ModFXRender v2.0 build 037

ModFXRender. How to use it? Also for mastering!

The tool can automatically insert a note into an existing track or another empty pattern-track to render it, and can do it repeatedly.

This allows you to return rendering of a sample in stereo (or all the samples) with modulation applied, sample effects applied, or even track effects. It also allows you to directly render the selected pattern-track. Write your notes there, set Origin Track to “Current Track” and set Note to “None”.

After rendering, it can apply some additional settings, such as frequency and bit count reconversion, convert to mono with L or R selection, auto-clean final silence (with threshold), or normalize. It can overwrite, accumulate, or create a new instrument to return each rendering.

ModFXRender also performs mastering tasks! It is also capable of analyzing the peaks of an audio wave according to a threshold and compressing them thoroughly, leaving the rest of the audio wave intact. This is very useful to achieve more amplitude, so that the user knows what is happening at all times with the audio wave. This tool can do it in a single step or have the user analyze each peak individually. You can work with stereo audio waves longer than 10 minutes easily!

A good method for mastering a music project only using Renoise is to first use the free SamRender free tool to render the entire song in a new instrument sample, and then use ModFXRender to analyze peaks and compress them for greater amplitude. Renoise’s sample editor is more than enough to analyze and edit the audio waveform, along with these tools…

This tool generates a significant queue on the Renoise clipboard. Use it with knowing this fact!

ModFXRender. Access

• Renoise: Tools/ ~ModFXRender…
  • Renoise: Sample Navigator/ ~ModFXRender…
  • Renoise: Waveform: Right clic: ~ModFXRender (Direct-Rendering)…

The “Direct-Rendering” shortcut will work with the last set configuration. ModFXRender saves all preferences automatically for new sessions.

Keyboard Commands

• [R.CTRL] render/cancel.
  • [CTRL Z] undo.
  • [CTRL Y] redo.
  • [SHIFT M] close window
  • *[SHIFT M] open window (Assignable: Preferences/Keys:Global/Tools/ModFXRender)

ModFXRender. Author & Sponsor

This tool was built during the Covid-19 Pandemic (March 2020), programmed by ulneiz (Spain).

Sponsor: @ToybOx. Thank you very much for proposing and promoting these types of projects!

Play and transform your samples! Enjoy it!

ModFXRender. Download

ModFXRender v2.0.037 (November 2023): :inbox_tray: https://www.renoise.com/tools/modfxrender

ModFXRender. Update History

ModFXRender v2.0.037 (November 2023)

• Modified: The entire “About ModFXRender” panel has been completely remodeled.
  • Added: New oficial logo has been added.
  • Improved: The “Silence” and “Normalize” subpanels now share the “Channel” option. Then, the “Clear Silence”, “Insert Silence”, “Normalize Sample”, “Extend Sample” and “Compress Peaks” operations allow you to pre-select the L+R, L or R channels before operating.
  • The operations “Normalize Sample”, “Extend Sample” and “Compress Peaks” now allow working with very large audio waves, thanks to coroutines. They include a progress bar. Easily work with audio wave files longer than 10 minutes.
  • Added: The operations “Normalize Sample”, “Extend Sample” now have reduction value.
  • Modified: The extend operation has been rebuilt.
  • Modified: The subpanel “Silence Start/End Sound Wave” has been modified.
  • Added: The “frames/min” value has been added to Sample Rate.
  • Added: The “levels” value has been added to Bit Depth.
  • Improved: When rendering with the “Accumulate” method, it will mute/unmute new samples to prevent new sound layers from interfering with the next samples to be rendered in the process.
  • Fixed: Automatically deleting a temporary pattern (and track) after rendering can cause a aleatory crash (the pattern used should never be deleted during rendering).
  • Improved: code revision.
ModFXRender v1.2.018 (May 2020)
  • Added: new option: “Force transpose & finetune to 0”.
  • Modified: show info panel.
ModFXRender v1.1.017 (March 2020)
  • Added: new key commands & shortcuts.
  • Added: list of keyboard commands.
  • Added: more tooltips.
  • Fixed: small fixes in the GUI.
ModFXRender v1.1.016 (March 2020)
  • First release.
11 Likes

She’s a beast!!

1 Like

Nice! :sunglasses: :clap:

Will testdrive here, am I right there isn’t an option to keybind the tool gui in the preferences/keys tab? Would speed up the workflow, same for the auto-render option in the sample editor right mouse click window. Or perhaps I’m blind and just can’t find it in the keybindings list?? Cheers!

I never even discussed key bindings with him, but he added a bunch of extra shit so maybe there is…

2 Likes

Can you explain me the workflow, how you’d use this? Some examples would be great :slight_smile:

You guys are most invested in this, things which seem obvious to you are probably not for the uninitiated. At first I thought you could render notes from the pattern editor a la samrender or renoise own native render to sample option with extra pimping, but this is something else right? I will experiment further.

3 Likes

Ok it’s a tool to batch render samples within an instrument. Think of it as like a global render tool for an instrument allowing you to quickly render modulation,effects,phrases to all samples within an instrument. The most important thing is to set it up correctly, if you are using a drum kit for example, use a modulation set and effects chain for all the samples. Set the tool to key zones and choose new pattern, this will render each key zone in a new pattern for the length you set. You can then choose to overwrite the samples in the instrument or add them to the instrument or generate a new kit with all new samples

1 Like

There is a ton of other stuff, but that’s the core idea of the tool.

Also there is a threshold for the clear silence option. This is for when the silence at the end of a sample is not actually true 0db maybe it’s like 0.01 or something like that . You can set threshold accordingly to catch this low noise and deal with it that way. The button in the very top right hand corner switches between the 3 states of the tool btw.

1 Like

thanks for the info, tried some of my phrased instruments and got weird rendered results, probably have settings wrong regarding keyzones as you mention above (also the use of beatsync in the instruments). Will test further, cheers.

yeah it goes quite deep, it will take a while to get used to using it

New release: ModFXRender v1.1.017. Please, go to “Renoise:Help: ~Find Tool Updates…” & check it!

3 Likes

this is well handy, big thanks! will save me many dull moments manually applying EQ to a drum kit…

is it possible to configure to not auto-run when initiated? it’s got quite a lot of uses so would suit me better to configure before rendering

also - a really useful feature for me would be to reset all sample Transpose and Fine Tune settings (as these have already been applied to any rendered samples…) would this be a feature you’d consider adding? I’d be happy to sponsor an update like that…

Access

1. Renoise: Tools/ ~ModFXRender…
  2. Renoise: Sample Navigator/ ~ModFXRender…
  3. Renoise: Waveform: Right clic: ~ModFXRender (Direct-Rendering)…

The first two accesses execute the tool without rendering. Here you can configure all the options before.

The ~ModFXRender (Direct-Rendering)… (third access) shortcut will work with the last set configuration. ModFXRender saves all preferences automatically for new sessions.

Can you explain “practical case” to understand exactly what you want?

perfect, thanks for the config explanation, that’s a tidy arrangement.

with the ‘Transpose reset’ my thinking is this -

I have a drum kit with 3 samples - Kick / Snare / Hi-Hat
They all have FX / Mod settings and the snare drum is set to Transpose +3 (and sounds at say C4#), which is what I want

After MODFXRender is applied my snare drum has been rendered at Transpose +3 and also has a Transpose +3 applied to it, so now sounds at E4 and must be retuned manually if I want it to sound like my original kit.

Does this make sense? Essentially the option would set all Transpose / Fine Tune parameters for rendered samples to 0 after rendering is complete.

1 Like

Sorry, I did not have this double detail in mind when I developed the tool. Well hunted!

Perfect! It is possible. I could add one more option (a checkbox), under Normalize samples:

• Force Transpose & Finetune to 0.

If you want to contribute as a sponsor, send me a PM and we will talk about the details. However, this is a minor feature. In this case, if you want to contribute something it is of your own free will.

am currently developing another sponsored tool, which will be available to the entire community in a few weeks. I don’t have much time, but I will be able to attend to these types of features, although it may take a while.

it was the first thing i thought of haha.
i’ve processed kits manually so many times so was very happy to see you’ve automated it - it was just missing that one step in my workflow.

so the checkbox option sounds perfect to me!

really appreciate you spending your time creating this - and ToybOx for sponsoring.

i’ll be in touch about making a donation for the extra features, niceone

New release: ModFXRender v1.2.018 . Please, go to “Renoise:Help: ~Find Tool Updates…” & check it!

This new version mainly includes a new option demanded by @muckleby:

• Force Transpose & Finetune to 0.

Enjoy it!

2 Likes

you’re a star raul! big thanks. no more manually printing fx to drum kits for me :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you very much to you! Sorry it took a few days, but here it is :grinning:

A couple of users also asked me to add a couple of features to the SamRender tool. I do not forget. Little by little I am solving these things…

3 Likes

Wonderful tool. Have a lot of fun with it and it saves so much time. I’m running into one bug though. The first time after starting Renoise the keybinding do not work. I first need to manually open the dialog of ModFX via the menu. After that the keybinding works. No big issue for me but I thought I report it anyway. Here is the error message

Renoise\V3.4.1\Scripts\Tools\com.ulneiz.ModFXRender.xrnx\' failed to execute in one of its key binding functions.

Please contact the author (ulneiz [go to https://forum.renoise.com/ and contact him there]) for assistance...

mfr/lua/mfr.lua:1269: attempt to index global 'MFR_MAIN_DIALOG' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
  mfr/lua/mfr.lua:1269: in function <mfr/lua/mfr.lua:1269>