New tool (3.3.0) Automated Sample Recording From MIDI Enabled Hardware

Big thanks to @chrisr for contributing!

Some new instrument naming features, quality of life improvements, and some bug fixes.

• Improved instrument naming (thanks @chris-roerig!)
    • Auto naming for when you’re stuck
    • Tagging instrument names with hardward name and instrument type
  • Added option to automatically run post-processing options when recording is over (thanks @chris-roerig!)
  • Better contrast on GUI buttons (thanks @chris-roerig!)
  • Added “between time” option to help with #2
  • Added primitive detection for the “Create new instrument on each take” option being selected (#3)
1 Like

This is a fantastic tool, saves so much time!

I miss one thing. DC-offset correction. I have an arturia audiofuse (recording through the phono line 3/4 inputs) and the left channel is a bit off by default which therefore leads to me going through all created samples, double clicking the left channel, issuing ctrl+d, then selecting the next sample… and so on.

If there were a button/selection along with automatic normalisation and trimming, that would help! I think the dc-offset should be the first step in that process, otherwise the normalisation will find a peak that´s off.

… Supplied image of dc-offset after automatic normalisation, the actual dc-offset is smaller.

Hi, i’m trying to sample some hardware and i have an issue: Basically it creates a sample where a part of a tail goes into the beginning of the next sample, you can see it on the screenshot. Dunno if it’s about latency or something else. The hardware is Roland MC-101, so it’s plugged by the USB directly, and samples from the usb input.
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 17.36.59

I think you can fix this by adding some extra time to the release time or between time.

Sorry I missed this! You’re right, automatic DC offset correction would be nice, and probably isn’t difficult to implement as long as the api has a function for it (I don’t remember off the top of my head). I’ll try to remember to look into it.

1 Like

i’ve tried both and it didn’t help…

Hi - I have used this tool successfully on my newest laptop, which is running Renoise version 3.3. It works great!

I also run earlier versions of Renoise (3.1) on a couple of 32 bit Windows tablets. Is there any way to get the instruments created with this tool (not the tool itself) to run on older versions of Renoise?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi, this is from memory, so I might be wrong… but I think Renoise has a way to export instruments as certain file formats. You might be able to export, then import in the other Renoise version.

Interesting - thanks for the idea!

No luck - I tried this today, but it seems that the only option I had was to save as a .xrni file, which won’t load in older versions (3.1) of Renoise.

Thanks again. I am going to post this as a more general question in the general forum, too - I can’t be the first person who has tried to do this.

Whoa! This is fantastic! I just discovered this tool and I’m blown away by the convenience of it. Thanks for sharing it!

I do have a feature request. The between time is currently limited to 1000ms. Can this be increased?

I like recording my samples with long (reverb) tails. And now the tails get cut off and bleed into the next note.

Use the release time instead. Between is rather the time for renoise to load the last recorded sample and time to get ready for the next

2 Likes

I was going to respond with the same thing as Olof. However, if you still find the times don’t go high enough, I’d be happy to push a quick fix. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @etromic ! That did the trick indeed. So I don’t think there is a need to push a fix right now. But I appreciate you’re willing to do so @dogsplusplus.

Speaking, of things I’ve might have missed. How do you approach Round Robbins in this? Currently I am trying it via the velocity layers. Planning on manually adjusting the samples’ velocity ranges afterwards. Think that should work.

But if you have a velocity sensitive synth that may not work as well.

1 Like

I’ll admit I didn’t think of that when making the tool… :sweat_smile:

I don’t think it would be too hard to properly add it though. I’ll add it to the todo list :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sweet! That would be convenient indeed.

(Special ping for @eretsua)

I’ve implemented a round robin option, on my end it works great. :slight_smile:

I’ve uploaded it to the github releases as a prerelease. All functionality is there, it’s just for the proper release I need to update the screenshots/docs/etc, but I figured people might want to play with it right now.

Give it a try an tell me if you run into anything!

2 Likes

Sweeeeet! Thank you! I’m gonna give it a spin.

• Added round robin setting.

Officially uploaded to Renoise tools/github now :tada:.

2 Likes

So far so good. Working like a charm. I’m getting a lot of millage out of your tool already. Really happy with this !

I have another idea for a feature. This perhaps less straightforward to implement. And possibly beyond the scope of this tool but…

Is it possible to have random hold times? That it varies between specified lengths X and Y?

The reason I’m asking is that I’m lazy. I tend to use the auto cross fade function to make loops. To make sustained sounds, obviously. But it sucks that all the files have the loop point at the exact same time. So I arbitrarily delete part of the waveform prior to hitting the loop button. This way the notes have different loop lengths, which is what I want. If that could be automated that would be super sweet indeed.

I’d totally understand if you said no to this. Just thought I’d ask.