Mutable-Instruments “Anushri” synthesizer has a nice built-in drum pattern generator (“generative sequencer”).
I did steal the essential code and made a renoise tool out of it, looks like this:
There is a lengthy description of how it works at: http://mutable-instruments.net/anushri/manual
To make it short:
- X & Y knobs define the basic pattern
- The main Bass, Snare and HiHat knobs control the density or amount of hits in the pattern
- Swing is just a shortcut to the renoise groove settings (controls all four sliders at once)
- It’s more fun to listen than to look at it
Differences to “real” Anushri are:
- Velocity values are handled in a different way, in my tool you can adjust the impact of the ‘importance’ of a hit freely with the small “vel” knob
- the “acc” knob is an addition by me, turned left it will emphasize the notes on the beat, turned right the notes on the offbeat
NOTE: When renoise is in edit/record mode the tool will only write pattern data from the current playback position to the end of the pattern. It’s possible to record variations etc. that way (sortof).
MI Anushri is licensed GPL 3.0, therefor my tool is too.