New Tool "Sync All Notes In Group"

Thank you SO much, Ledger, this is just the tool I have been looking for for years, I can now double up and triple up (or more) VSTs, and easily make massive sounding basses, strings, etc. from monotimbral VSTs, and multiple types of VSTs- amazing!

Am i glad i put manual and help text into pdf files. At least i can reupload those when necessary… But frankly:yeah a pity that is affected too…

1.24 up on tools site again:

http://www.renoise.com/tools/sync-all-notes-in-group

hey ledger thanks for this useful script.

i have some suggestions to improve it a bit:

• currently undo on the source track will not work since the auto updates will also saved in the undo history… is it possible to temp-disable undo buffer while syncing?

• i commonly miss a context menu entry in the track menu of mixer and pattern…

• this error appears if using context menu “create ref track” “create sync track” in instrument list

'/Users/Ju/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.0.1/Scripts/Tools/ledger.scripts.ToggleReferenceTrack.xrnx/' failed to execute in one of its menu entry functions.

Please contact the author (scripts) for assistance...

main.lua:230: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
  main.lua:230: in function 'create_reference_track'
  main.lua:469: in function <main.lua:469>
  • it currently does not care about on / off states of patterns in the pattern matrix. so if the source track is disabled there, the mirror still is enabled by default.

• sometimes it completely messes up the group by creating a group in a group and other tracks… Don’t know how to reproduce this.

Thanks and greetings.

• currently undo on the source track will not work since the auto updates will also saved in the undo history… is it possible to temp-disable undo buffer while syncing?

I had to create a special undo shortcut that would work with this tool for that issue. From memory not much more can be done with the API currently. From the tool`s page:

ALTERNATIVE UNDO

As this is a realtime tool writing to the pattern editor, unfortunately there is some unwanted native undo behaviour. To cope with this I have added a new undo shortcut that can be mapped to ctrl z that should not have these problems:

“Sync All Notes, Alternative Undo”

• i commonly miss a context menu entry in the track menu of mixer and pattern…

edit: You want to be able to initiate the tool from the track/ mixer? or the other menu options?

• this error appears if using context menu “create ref track” “create sync track” in instrument list

I`ll take a look, that error is from the toggle reference track tool. I imagine it has somthing to do with track type.

• it currently does not care about on / off states of patterns in the pattern matrix. so if the source track is disabled there, the mirror still is enabled by default.

I did leave it this way on purpose, so that say you want to thin out a sound in a part of the song then you have the control to do that. If you want to mute both parts together you can always mute the group.

• sometimes it completely messes up the group by creating a group in a group and other tracks… Don’t know how to reproduce this.

Let me know if you run into it again, I`ve not seen this myself

edit: You want to be able to initiate the tool from the track/ mixer? or the other menu options?

Yes, from directly the tracks either in pattern or in mixer view. It’s just my personal preference :slight_smile:

Maybe a menu like:

track (level0) → add slave track (level1) → instr “name instrument”,instr2 “name instrument”,… (Level2)

?

Then you wouldn’t have to care about the current select instrument, and would be also maybe a bit more easy to understand.

Thanks for looking into it!

The undo limitation is quite a missing feature in Renoise API… To be able to disable it temporarily… The same problem has the faderport driver… I guess also other tools.

EDIT:

Btw. maybe the would be a workaround for the undo problem like this: ?

If source track is changed / note edited, you save the change in lua. now you undo this change immediately, start a new undo point, rewrite the original + slave track and finish undo point? So if now undoing, both notes would be removed?

Makes sense to have a look at the menu entries and the undo stuff looks a good thought too. If it works it will help my vel pan dly tool aswell.

And? Does it work ? :slight_smile: Would be a nice to have :slight_smile:

And? Does it work ? :slight_smile: Would be a nice to have :slight_smile:

I tend to do scripting in fits and bursts, it`s on the list but may not be the first thing I get too.

if have just met a nice person on the internetz that recommended me this tool after i have described what function i miss most in renoise. THIS TOOL should be slap everyone in the face when he enters the forums, because THIS is changing a renoiser’s life. thank you so much ledger!! i missed this since years and have never thought it would exist. wonderful tool !!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes