New Tool: Toggle Reference Track

Version 1.2

Shortcut added for quick mono-ing of a whole mix by use of a custom Stereo Expander. “Mono Mix” is added the Master track and the Reference track (if present).
Can be used without a reference track to just to check your mono compatibility while mixing

Great Idea ledger ! I think this tool will be usefull and downloaded it right now.

BTW: I’ve created a similar tool (Python Script) for Reaper:

http://blog.airmann.de/cockos-reaper-ab-switcher-for-mastering-purposes/

Great Idea ledger ! I think this tool will be usefull and downloaded it right now.

BTW: I’ve created a similar tool (Python Script) for Reaper:

http://blog.airmann.de/cockos-reaper-ab-switcher-for-mastering-purposes/

Nice!

thanks for sharing.

Hello,

It seems to be a interesting tool but it’s not working in R 3.1 Rc2…

I have this error message:

"Please contact the author (scripts) for assistance…

main.lua:230: attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
main.lua:230: in function ‘create_reference_track’
main.lua:469: in function main.lua:469"

Any ideas to fix this problem?

Thank you

thanks for the report,

I`ll take a look.

Can’t believe I missed this tool, it’s so handy and well thought out, exactly what I need right now. Thanks so much for it.

Hello,

It seems to be a interesting tool but it’s not working in R 3.1 Rc2…

I have this error message:

"Please contact the author (scripts) for assistance…

main.lua:230: attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
main.lua:230: in function ‘create_reference_track’
main.lua:469: in function main.lua:469"

Any ideas to fix this problem?

Thank you

This error seems to occur if you try and initialize a reference track and the selected instrument slot contains no sample. i.e. it is empty or has a Vsti loaded instead.

The code line 230 is trying to change the sample autoseek from off to on. In this case there is no sample to access this property. I can catch this and fire a dialog warning/ status. I just want to check that this is the case when you are getting this message? or this is happening when you have a sample / specific sample selected in the instrument list?

--enable autoseek in current selected sample
 if song.instruments[inst].samples[1].autoseek == false then --line 230
 song.instruments[inst].samples[1].autoseek = true
 end

My bad…

I didn’t load a reference track…

Everything seems to work !

Sorry for the inconvience :frowning:

Thank you again for this tool

No probs, I can still add in a status for when this situation occurs.

edit:

done:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-toggle-reference-track/39281

Sunday night Beta! may be a couple of bugs but think its useful enough to try out.

Now updated with a GUI and some new features:

Open the GUI with shortcut "Global:Tools: TRT Reference Track GUI"

and you get the following screen. Load a reference track sample into the renoise instruments list and press the “Create Reference Track” button on the GUI (same operation as right-click menu does)

The active GUI should now appear. The CreateReference Track button changes into a Go To Reference Track button. You can toggle the reference track with your song with the large button (there is a checkbox for single track operation too)

You can now focus in on 3 frequency ranges both your reference track and your song. These buttons control filters added to your ref track and the master track.

A volume slider underneath, controls the post volume of the reference track for easier balancing.

-Adds Menu Entries for showing the new GUI (Tools Menu: Ledger`s Scripts and Instrument Box)

-Adds a M Mono check button

Version 1.31:

-Fixed a few bugs
-Instruction text added to start screen of tool, notifying to load a .wav first
-When in single track toggle mode the toggle button disables with message when the ref track is selected (“Can`t toggle ref with itself”). Simply switch to another track/ disable single track mode, to resume
-Menu + sub menu added for “Adjust song To Selected Sample Length” + original “Create Reference Track” entry

Version 1.31:

-Fixed a few bugs
-Instruction text added to start screen of tool, notifying to load a .wav first
-When in single track toggle mode the toggle button disables with message when the ref track is selected (“Can`t toggle ref with itself”). Simply switch to another track/ disable single track mode, to resume
-Menu + sub menu added for “Adjust song To Selected Sample Length” + original “Create Reference Track” entry

-Adds Menu Entries for showing the new GUI (Tools Menu: Ledger`s Scripts and Instrument Box)

-Adds a M Mono check button

New version below

Pretty happy with the functionality now, so if no major bugs found then this version will go up on tools site:

-Fixed GUI which was slightly wonky
-Fixed bug when deleting ref-track while GUI was still open
-Tidy code

In first Post:

First Post

-Minor mono state bug fixed

–added reference track sample name at top of tool

Beta 1.37

Testing welcome particularly with mac/ Linux due to file string handling - also some small potential for wrong samples being overwritten with [L] button function so please test with care

-Ref track readout is now a textfield, you can re-name loaded reference samples with it

-new [L] ‘Load’ button so you can browse your O.S. for a reference sample. It can also be used from startup instead of [Create Reference Track] button

-Samples now automatically have forward loop enabled in case you are using short samples as references

–NEW: When loading a new reference over the old with the [L] button, the script stops and restarts the transport playing. This means the new reference should start playing immediately on load. Side effect is pop/ crackle when using the it while reference track is not playing, but this is a less likely scenario

–fixed bug where [L] button would not initialise the correct sample as reference

Attachment 7723 not found.

Beta 1.37

Testing welcome particularly with mac/ Linux due to file string handling - also some small potential for wrong samples being overwritten with [L] button function so please test with care

-Ref track readout is now a textfield, you can re-name loaded reference samples with it

-new [L] Load button so you can browse your O.S. for a reference sample. It can also be used from startup instead of [Create Reference Track] button

-Samples now automatically have forward loop enabled in case you are using short samples as references

v1.39

NOTE: I`ve noticed since using the new scrub slider and even just loading/ unloading long samples in renoise itself; renoise can be prone to crashing (Win 7 64bit here). Would be great if others could help try and nail down the conditions so it can be reported properly as a renoise bug.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/lua-slice-markers-bug/48468

Two main additions along with minor stuff:

–added Scrub Slider: available when reference track is selected so you can change its start play position. i.e you are in pattern 1 in renoise and want to hear the chorus at 1.23 in the song then just move the slider along until you hear the right part playing

–Added a Mid: checkbox so that you can choose between having 2 or 3 buttons in the focus section, for more filter options of reference and song. When 2 bands are chosen cutoff is centred at ~ 700Hz

–In situation when reference track has C#4 note but no instrument number (deleted by accident somehow) : Pressing [L] Will first ask user to confirm the renoise instrument that has the reference track sample, via a new popup gui

–new default note is C#4 as the scrub slider uses renoise sample slices to operate

https://files.renoise.com/forum/uploads/7752-ledger.scripts.ToggleReferenceTrack_V1.39.xrnx

v1.39

NOTE: I`ve noticed since using the new scrub slider and even just loading/ unloading long samples in renoise itself; renoise can be prone to crashing (Win 7 64bit here). Would be great if others could help try and nail down the conditions so it can be reported properly as a renoise bug.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/lua-slice-markers-bug/48468

I have added a link to a similar bug, apparently caused by something else that may be related…

Just wanted to start a thread and found this. Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for that!
edit: Just tested it and that’s absolutely great!!

I will mainly use it with older mixes to see if there is any improvement or not.

1 Like