No good music apps for it, but so what?

I still like mine and won’t be returning it. I like controlling my xbox with it and silly stuff like that. But, I could see someone deciding after a few days that they have to have an iphone (sure has a lot of apps)… or buttons. personally, i’ve had enough iphoning and androiding to get those out of my system. but, not keypads. still miss those.

Currently going through deleting loads of contacts it important from my badly (read not at all) kept contacts list from Hotmail.

Still not sure how much I like this “Smart” stuff!!!..

Ah, yeah, that. My android phone did that to me with my gmail, was very annoying. But I outsmarted my phone this time by using a brand new totally blank email account! Actually, i couldn’t remember wtf my old hotmail account was anymore. But, i wouldn’t have wanted to link it to the phone anyway.

I scared what it might do if I try and link my facebook! :o

So any worthwhile apps for Win8Mob yet?

Complaining about smartphones not having buttons is like complaining about a playstation not having a keyboard. You use it for things that play to its strengths.

Nanoloop by itself is already a killer app for me. That tiny minimalist app made me rethink my approach to writing electronic music. Other great music apps have been covered in a few threads around here. There are some games that utilize the touchscreen controls well - age of zombies is a guilty pleasure for me. For RPGs touchscreens are probably preferable to buttons.

Yeah, sort of. But playstation didn’t throw in a version of MS Word, either.

And that’s the kind of stuff that is inevitably going to lead some people to want hardware keypads even more. Maybe it’s a bit much to imagine writing a novel or even lengthy articles on a smart phone. A bit much, but not too much.

I missed having buttons on my smartphone the first time I tried to dial it and answer it (which are the two most basic things a person can do with a telephone.)

Though I should admit, if I could not have a smartphone today (which I use mostly to check on Twitter and board forums, and sometimes watch video in bed and play music ;) ) I would probably not have anything- as a telephone operator I avoid talking on the phone once I’m off.

Saying you like physical, tactile buttons is not the same as complaining that smartphones don’t have them. Like saying you like tea and miss being able to get a good cuppa in many parts of the world does not mean you wish coffee was tea.

Except we are talking specifically about Windows Phone 8 here, which none of the other threads were about or could have been saying it has only just been released…

yeah, mine broke. hmmm…

Not hugely impressed so far… Might return it next week.

Got until next wednesday but think it’s going back… Reckon I will try an Andoid phone, at least they have some applications ready and have ironed out many of the problems over the last few years. Win8P is just too knew I think. But no matter what smartphone I suspect I’ll feel cheated with the lack of battery life!

That depends on what you are running on your phone.
You can turn off bluetooth and perhaps the mobile phone is smart enough to turn off mobile networking when wireless is connected.
If you don’t want others to know where you are, you can also turn off the GPS module and a lot of phones allow setting the display into economy mode.
A phone with a lot of features comes with battery life trade-off if you want to use them all but indeed, that is not what the manufacturer wants you to believe on the surface but they usually put it down somewhere in those tiny letters in the manual (which nobody reads anyway).

First thing I did when i got it was go through the Setting menu, turn Off Wifi, Bluetooth and turn Brightness to minimum and have screen-off/lock set to a short time (default on this phone was actually 1min, which is about acceptable, most other phones I’ve found worth lowering though.) I always close applications, rather than minimise them to the background, as well.

Not seen an option for GPS or “Economy display mode” but they could well be there…

Such a large, colour display is always going to use a fair bit of juice compared to a more basic phone. Then the Lumia920 has a more hungry CPU than most others out there on top of it. I understand the battery life of Android phones has near enough doubled since they came out and things have been improved in the handling of the operating system and I’m sure WP8 will also improve over time. I didn’t say all were absolutely awful, but that I’d feel a little cheated until I’m used to it as I’m more used to only plugging my phone in every 2-3 days or so…

But battery life isn’t the only reason I’m very tempted to return it anyway. And if it was I wouldn’t dream of suggesting I might try a different smartphone! Which at best will only be a degree better. But a handful of niggling reasons and not overly impressed with first impressions so… Hmm ;)

I just got my first smart phone about a month ago. HTC One S. I can vouch for it and say that it fucking rocks, and that the One X is even better in almost every area except visual speed within the OS (One X has a higher quality display, which means it takes more processing power to run).

And pretty much everywhere but America the One X has a quad core processor, rather than the dual core of the One S…

Why don’t you want an iPhone?
It’s got core audio, so you can use audio apps on it (zero latency compared to droids and winP). TouchOSC is quite cool together with Renoise and other DAWs. Lemur is AMAZING! There are tons of other audioapps aswell. The apps you buy for the phone can also be used on an iPad/Pod aswell, if you decide to buy one.

Because I’m never giving Apple my money, ever! At least not until the stop with their aggressive lock-in policies and the rest of the way they run their business…

You be missin out! ;)/>

Tell somebody who gives a fuck!