No good music apps for it, but so what?

maybe i’m confused about what you are trying to do but i could always drag and drop files (mp3s included) on mine, play them on the phone, and copy them back off the phone (from and to win7, anyway). no problems, just like using a usb drive or something. i generally buy mp3s through amazon or some other DRMless venders, i dunno if that has anything to do with anything.

but, yeah, music apps don’t seem to be a strong point at all with windows phones.

and if you hate the phone you should prolly get rid of it. no use carrying around something that pisses ya off. you kinda don’t sound much like you would get along with any smart phone, really?

WinXp you need at least WMP10 (WMP11 recommended) installed to have the MTP drivers. WMP is a component I remove as soon as I install Windows as it sucks!

Even though the computer at work is Win7 and has WMP12 installed and Device Manager shows a MTP Device and a Nokia Lumia 920 it does not present it in My Computer and states Driver Installation Failed, so I can’t even access it from the newer Win7 machines.

Maybe I’ll just have to bite the bullet and install WMP again…

Cytone: Maybe. I had to actually fork out £50 to upgrade to it as had to upgrade in a shop to get my corporate discount put on my bill (would have been free online or over the phone) plus move up to a higher contract. But I really don’t see my utilising it to its best and saying this first one lasted me less than two weeks before I broke it I suspect I’m unlikely to do much better in the future.

I found out about phones with bad esns, so I bought an android phone for 13 dollars.

which goes to say, be careful when buying phones directly from people, what they will sometimes do is sell the phone, then once shipped, report that it was stolen aka bad ESN, so they can get the payout from insurance.

This which is not covered in seller agreements yet.

Windows phone is awesome!! Got my Lumia 920 today, and aside from the total chaos of switching phone plateforms, I really like this thing. Its blazing fast. I do not need to use google for anything now. I am totally, “ungoogled.” I do not need google for search, or maps, or email. I’m not on G+.

However, its crazy, I can’t sign into my yahoo, and I thought that all my contacts were backed up to icloud, but apparently not the case, so I have lost well over half my contacts. But, I guess… Whoever needs to call me, is going to call, and I’ll sort that out eventually…

I can not believe windows 8 is being called a failure, its awesome on the phone. It totally destroys IOS.

I’ve had my Lumia 920 since November and I disagree with almost everything you said!!

Really lol… I do have one complaint, but it was a point made in all of the reviews so I knew full well about it and made a compromise in this area.

I feel the 920 is a bit thick, bulky, heavy; not exactly a pocket phone. But I really like the live tiles, the funky colors, the 32 gigs of space, and the speed. I’m surprised you are totally disagreeing with me but to each his own I guess.

I’m pretty shocked about how much worse the Android is than the iPhone.

The one big problem I am having, and no matter where I look, I just can’t find the answer, is typing my email address again and again. Email addresses are something that need to be typed a lot, and I have two main emails… Unfortunately, my name is kind of a long one, so its a lot of letters to type and type, especially on these mobile keyboards. iPhone has a great system to deal with this, its in settings/keyboard. I input my email address once… pleasedontspamme@notmyemail.com, and I choose a shortcut/macro… pdsnme… and the the iPhone automatically types the address.

I am looking for the same thing on Windows Phone, can’t find it… Very annoying… LOL!!!

I’d like to have that feature as well. But aside from that, I really prefer the WP keyboard over iOS (comparing to my iPad)

What about the fact the alarm doesn’t sound if the phone is switched off? First phone I’ve ever had that does that!! And the battery last no time! Plus the reported battery level is terrible, sometimes it will say over 50% when I go to bed so I think it will be OK but still it turns itself off and thus no alarm to wake me in the morning.

Then there is the occasional freezing and application crashes.

Or the fact that every time the phone turns off it messes with the order of my text messages, displaying all the ones that were on the sim card at the top even though they are by far the oldest messages of the lot!

And in honesty I really don’t feel I need a phone with the features of one of these big smart phones. Especially not as such a drastic reduction in battery life! So would probably feel a little disappointed in any smart phone out there, not only this one…

The only app I’ve had crashed is Mobile iExplore! LMFAO, internet Explorer has always crashes on desktop too! As far as the Nokia Lumia Battery time is concerned, I’m doing really well with that; by turning off all the background services I don’t need.

I am not exactly sure if these are the instructions I found, but I found a web page like this, and turned off the things I did not need/was not using, and I’m getting really nice results. http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Battery-information-and-Tips-for-Lumia-820-and-920/td-p/1617864

I turned off backgrounds for: xbox live, here drive beta, some various news services. I set my email updates to 1 or 2 hours depending on email. As far as the display is concerned, I could turn off auto-brightness, but I decided for me, I really liked the feature…

Last night, I went to sleep with the phone charged @ about 98%, and woke earlier this morning ( 8 hours later ) with the phone @ 94%. Is that bad for a dual core, smartphone? Energy is energy, and these things are computers for our pockets…

I am using an app to monitor battery usage, its name is, “battery.” Its a free app… its in the store.

As far as, “phone alarm.” I never turned off my iPhone when I needed the alarm, and I had no idea the thing would automatically turn on to play an alarm. So this is a non-issue for me and the Nokia… I just keep the thing on 24/7… If my phones ever off, its because I haven’t been around a power outlet, and I have no way to charge it up.

Edit = I didn’t want the post to sound like a silly commercial…

I turned off everything possible a long time ago, no WiFi, Bluetooth, Location services, Brightness at minimum, no one touch etc etc. I have even tried with the Battery Saver mode set to permanently on and still find the battery life sucks with even only very minimal use! Standby, with the display dark such as overnight, generally isn’t too bad, but anything which required the screen, even if just sending a few texts, drains it so quickly that I often nee to charge at least twice a day.

Or the Lumia 920 has just decided to turn itself off, even though it claims to have plenty of batter, because it likes to do that occasionally for absolutely no reason!

Yeah, well… Battery technology is definitely something that solutions can make some serious money with. Its why electric cars are not yet mainstream, and its why the 787s were grounded. My Nokia hasn’t turned off for, “absolutely no reason yet,” however, the battery does drain. The battery usage is on par with what I would expect from a dual core smartphone using these lithium ion things.

That’s not to say things haven’t gotten better, but they certainly could improve. What’s the hold up? The conspiracy theorist would say, “companies want that extra $90 when they swap your battery in two years,” and the techy might say, “battery technology has a lot of room to grow.”

My first cell phone was a motorola around 1997, and I didn’t have it long enough to remember how the battery operated. My next phones were Samsung Flip Phones… I had Samsung flip phones from about 1998, until the time I got a blackberry in 2007. I remember the Samsung flip phone battery… For about the first 3 months, you had a descent charge… Then after that, you had to constantly charge your phone, it would no longer keep a charge. Things were really improved by the time I got a blackberry… The blackberry kept a decent charge for a little more than a year, but after that… The battery became complete crap, and just like the flip phones it needed constant charge.

After blackberry, I grabbed an iPhone four… This is where battery tech is really better than it used to be… Because that thing kept a charge pretty well… I just traded that iPhone in for the Nokia, and the iPhone would still keep a descent charge… not like the day I bought it, but it certainly did not need, “constant charging.”

But the lithium ion batteries, while very much improved since 1997, have not had a real breakthrough, since 1997. Batteries do not subscribe to Moore’s law… So I can see why the Nokia, with a dual chip, is going to eat a lot more power than the single chip iPhone 4.

And btw, I’ve read dozens of complaints about the iPhone 5 battery draining… So, I do not think its a Nokia only problem, is all I am saying…

So close to being an amazing phone and so close to being a total piece of $#!*.

What to do? I think, buy an iphone like everybody else unless you just really, really like getting into this kind of stuff. The lumia does show that there should be little surprise when some winphone vendor wipes the floor with every other smartphone, but not exactly just yet…

the captain is more important than the ship. jobs is dead. winphone’s day is coming. at least you can say i told ya so one day. from a landline. 'cause your lumia will have stopped working by then.

forget about battery life on any phone of this type.

Yeah I know. I don’t think I should have gone with a big-screened smartphone at all really. Hence I do know any review from me is likely to be more negative than that from somebody used to smartphones…

I use a an app called “copy n paste”. It’s not as elegant as that iphone solution but you can add in things like your email address and then use it to copy them to the clipboard.