Open Renoise Project

Hello.

I was thinking of making my music creating approaches available to the public without any restrictions or holdbacks. Full information serving etc.
This means making the full and unedited .xrns files of my current work public.
Anyone interested in joining this project? It aims to help people, newbies and advanced learners, to take away the myths of creating music while reflecting their own working processes.
Since most of my work is hardly sample related stuff, I need some backup info if uploading .xrns files could conflict any copyright laws. You can send me answers via pm too.

thanks so far-

I don’t think there’s anything illegal about sharing songs that are made with commercial VST’s as the xrns itself are simply the sample+note+automation data.

But the samples are included…

No difference in re-releasing someone else’s copyright material directly or re-releasing through a .xrns. +1 for the idea, if you are releasing all personal work, might be a good idea to look into creative commons licensing to protect ur work…

Mix of commercial vst down to wav (vst to sample process or full track mixdown) would be completely fine as the vst isn’t included in the package. and of course you ‘did’ purchase it =)

Cool idea. I know I’ve definitely learned a lot in my brief time with Renoise by checking out other people’s XRNS files.

As a suggestion, it would be cool if the platform you use for this supported tagging, so each file could be tagged with keywords relating to the techniques or commands it best illustrates. E.g. “09xx”, “odd.meter”, “beat.slicing”. etc.

Im convinced the best way to learn is to find the sense of several parts of the given “picture” by your own.
I am not using commercial vsts, just a couple of free vsts…Aspekt, DiscoveryDemo, mda and some TAL stuff…

Yes and no. You purchase a sample CD. You are allowed to use the samples in commercial releases. You are not allowed to distribute said samples, either in part or in whole, and as these samples are contained within the .xrns and you could you them elsewhere it does become quite a grey area, unless all samples are created yourself or released under a CC licence. Sure it may not of been your intention to distribute the copyrighted samples but you can’t control what the end user does…

At this point a modular synth in renoise would be great to cut out problems with licensed material. ^_^

I’m in; it’s infuriating to me for some reason that I don’t get to see the notes and such as I listen to a song. That isn’t sarcasm, either!

It does come into quite a grey area… But theoretically there are multiple simple solutions, coder/developer wise not so simple. Although I do believe it would promote the sharing or .xrns files in general…

Idea: What if there was an option to “lock” specific instruments. All samples under the locked instrument would be encrypted and read only, upon loading the .xrns it would decrypt and lock out copying/saving the individual instrument/samples. This would save from this grey area as the end user would have no way to distribute otherwise, and would keep a little piece of mind for the original composer. I would have no problems sharing a track with an amazing multisampled guitar lick that took a few days to perfect if I knew that no one would be able to rip and re-use. Of course there would still be the problem of single track mixdown, but in this case, no one could steal the multisample that took me so long to make…

Im sure there are some other ideas that could come from this. But Im all for promoting the release of renoise (an other trackers) tracks, theres so many ppl out there that wont do it because they are scared of being ripped off. Even a way to password protect the entire file (much like .zip password protection already, only allows for read only > if password entered then read/write/modify access).

Thats the myth spreading wall I want to break. Everyone in this business is trying to “protect their work” by not giving away usefull information.
Any suggestions for a platform to provide the .xrns files? Using a 1CH is allowed in this forum? MU? RS? FS?

It would be pretty simple to set it up as a Wordpress blog.

That is actually a very good question! The song and user sections are down as long as I am a Renoise user (almost a year now) and thus I have never seen them! I want to see them! :)

Basically, the song section was an artist browser which offered downloads for rendered songs (.mp3/.ogg/etc) and/or native format (.rns/.xrns).
I think it would be great to have this thing back, even if it’s not exactly what Antischocken is talking about.

Agreed here as well… I am actually working on a phpnuke evo mod to share .xrns and other compatible module types, its quite a work in progress and eventually the creator will have access to “show” incomplete work to specified people. (collaboration). Thats really all the info I can divulge until it gets off the ground. It would be quite something to have a database or .xrns just for our fellow renoise users.