Oxe FM Synth installation

This little synth is amazing i recommend it to everybody.I use it all the time in windows but i cant
get it to work in linux pop os- ubuntu.I placed the .so file in my vst directory but its not working.In the archive i downloaded there is no install sh so what to do?Here is the official repository

Did you try to build it?

1 Like

I dont know how.

Maybe test this:

Download the zipped file from the repo and unpack it in any floder ~/blabla of your home.
Unzip, open terminal and go into that folder.
Then just type “make”

At least this is what the manual is saying.
You need g++ from your Linux repo.

" Linux

To build native executables just type make (requirement: g++)."

btw: that´s only Oxe FM, except of 2 or 3 sounds.

2 Likes

Ok l will try that and see.You are an oxefm lover,didn’t know that.The tones this little synth can produce are sweeeeeet and so clean.Good track by the way.

1 Like

I should use it more often. The handling is bit strange :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make command installed but nothing happens .No such file or directory

Can you post the output from the terminal? Did it run until the end? There should be a generated .so file written into some sub folder.

Did you get

error Please set the VSTSDK_PATH environment variable to the vstsdk2.4 path

?

1 Like

No just “No such file or directory”.As i said before oxevst64.so is already there in the extracted folder.May be Renoise cant load it?Do you run oxefm in linux and if you dont please download the archive and try yourself.

Here is another output of the terminal.I think i have downloaded the wrong archive earlier.

uilding converter
Building demo
Building standalone
In file included from src/standalone/main.cpp:20:
src/toolkits/ostoolkit.h:25:14: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
25 | #include <X11/Xlib.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
src/toolkits/xlibtoolkit.cpp:21:10: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
21 | #include <X11/Xlib.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [Makefile.standalone:103: all] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:25: all] Error 2

install “libx11-dev” (if you are on debian/ubuntu…) and try again…

EDIT: I hope you have a copy of the vst 2.4 sdk installed, you will need that, too and set an environment variable for the oxe sources to find it…

1 Like

Ok I will try that when I get home but why do I need 2.4 sdk? Other plugins work great without it,surge,uhe plugs work also.

I think Oops means you need the vst 2.4 sdk header files for the C/C++ compiler when you build the plugin from source.

2 Likes

Yes you are trying to compile from source code, so you need those sdk headers. The compiled plugin doesn’t need the headers. Also the libx11-dev is only required to build the plugin, not for running it.

1 Like

Yes, I’m on Debian and use the compiled version from kxstudio. Do you know how to export the path variable and how to get the vst library (i also have to look it up) ?

1 Like

No i dont maybe you can help step by step

First you need the VST SDK. Does anyone have a link?

This is taken from the surge git site

For VST2, you will need the VST2 SDK - unzip it to a folder of your choice and set VST2SDK_DIR to point to it.

export VST2SDK_DIR="/your/path/to

I think the most difficult part will be to find the VST SDK. The best thing would be to ask falkTX directly on the kxstudio chat.