Plans for Renoise?

This thread wasn’t even about piano rolls to start with. Someone made it about piano rolls. Just read the OP. There’s no mention of piano rolls. People get offended just by reading “piano roll” on their screen and go ape shit lmao. It’s funny because the thread was dragged by people who disagree with its implementation. Piano roll folks are a minority here. It’s a tracker after all.

About open source, that’s a new suggestion and has been addressed by the developer in this thread, and not mentioned again. It was an honest question about open sourcing. He gave his points. And that’s it! Stop treating this as a problem, because it clearly isn’t.

Also, there’s a piano roll tool already. I don’t understand why people keep going back into this subject lol.

3 Likes

Oh, by the way.

I cast Calm Emotions and end my turn.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. It’s a pretty regular thread hijacking topic and probably why people don’t like when it’s brought up, or in particular, how it’s being brought up. Saying people just got “offended” by it, saw red, etc. is pretty disingenuous.

Anyway, I’m glad this is over and we won’t hear of any of this again. Good job, everyone.

1 Like

Eventually every thread turns into a piano roll argument thread.

2 Likes

" I would like to see the following added to the sampler:

Granular playheads;
Wavetable playback;
Modulatable sample start and end points."

All of this can be done natively in Csound with its extremely well documented and very musical opcodes (1500 of them! + user generated ones (like Reason’s Combinator but with infinite logical ability) and custom programmed C/C++ opcodes). If Renoise can eventually fully integrate Csound or someone develops a Lua tool for this interface (CDP tool), you get the whole shebang for free. Why reinvent the wheel when the academic community offer all this for everyone who cares to use it for free and with the source code. I am really rooting for this one feature.

edit : the pianoroll tool already exists for Renoise btw, I did not use it yet, but it looks good.

I would never like a piano roll inside Renoise, but rather the route that Steven Yi’s Blue software IDE for composition using Csound does, which is to create a timeline with various types of ‘Soundobjects’ which can be painted along and double clicked to enter the piano roll visual interface. Keeping it as just another abstraction for the note system we are all familiar with is the best way to do this. Trying to make this into FL Studio does take away some of its unique character. However, Gen X producers who make Trap etc are totally into FL Studio workflow which makes this feature a good starting point for them to eventually appreciate the tracker way of doing things. The hardware users are too busy doing their thing using their expensive gear, piano roll is the last thing on their minds. Film composers are busy using notation software and Protools with an entire team of arrangers and orchestra and live musicians. I dont think any one in those circles really use piano roll to being with (Hans Zimmer says he does mostly use it though!). If piano roll is incorporated then I would argue that staff notation feature also must be developed for those of us who use it on a day to day basis. Also, for guitar players, GP5 Guitar Pro tabs input would also be a cool thing to use natively inside Renoise. But as you can see, these are just interfaces to the note representations, and at the end of the day they will be representing essentially the same event list from the source. I would say all these features detract from the experience of using a very solid piece of music software. If we start incorporating all the demands of the day just to cater to all and sundry, we are going to leave Renoise hanging dry in the wind. It will appease no one but will surely pissoff a lot of the existing and even the newer ones who mostly are just seeking a different sort of experience. Music takes a lot of study and dedication, blunting Renoise will just make it that much harder to get the music done, which arguably is the end goal of all this discussions.

2 Likes

Could be amazing… Perhaps you could make a tool request or sponsor the tool’s creation? There are lots of talented programmers working in/with renoise, some of which have taken on projects if there’s sponsorship and/or enough interest

3 Likes

This is already available, or am i misunderstanding you?

Ya I know about the CDP Tool, it is awesome. I was making the comparison of the CDP Tool and its utility and this a similar one for Csound would be god send for a lot of use cases.

3 Likes

Sure thing. Could you help me brainstorm the total price for this in dollars and how to best go about making this a community effort bolstered with personal investments like a sponsored crowd sourced tool dev project. I would be very interested and willing to pay as well. The faster I get it on my desktop and RPi running Renoise the happier I and we all will be. The Csound team (Boulanger, Lazarrini, Ian, Steven and others will be extremely glad to make a good note of this on their website and other written recommendations). Further they would be forthcoming for any kind of support regarding embedding this inside Renoise or via a tool. We have plenty of very talented devs in this forum. This is a worthwhile direction to pursue.

1 Like

Rosegarden for Linux has a midi sequence to Csound score save option. This piano roll could be useful for other things such as this if extended to include extra use cases. It feels well integrated.

I want a dancing girl in Renoise too! I have wanted this for years.

The cost would be entirely dependent on who (if anyone) chose to take up the project. @Raul has a history of sponsored tools, so perhaps he might be a good person to ask. As far as an internal development project goes, that’s entirely up to @taktik, and I can’t/don’t speak for him.

To be clear, I am not a programmer

As a user, I would likely throw down some $ for a tool like this, though :slight_smile:

CDP is awesome and gets a lots of use in my renoise workflow, and I imagine Csound is comparably powerful

1 Like

For now you can buy Fl Studio producer all plugin edition and open up Renoise at the same time and drag it over.

3 Likes

Moloko is gonna cream his undies when he sees that!

4 Likes

And of course, the “dancing girl” is a child. Fucking weird.

2 Likes

I would like to see the entirety of this thread hardcoded into the Renoise source.

10 Likes

Yes, sadly this tendency exists in this forum. For me it’s a very bad discussion culture here. I wrote my opinion to this in a few post’s above and the consequences I draw from it. The freedom of speech and free discussion is not wanted here by some people. And with this last post from me, i’m out again of active users and only a quiet reader.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom of, for want of a better word, repercussion. Your earlier mad rant at taktik for not welcoming you as a developer was unhinged and hasn’t meaningfully improved since.

2 Likes

English is not my mother language… so read it as you want. I think the context is understandable.

I not rant on him. YOu must read what is written, and not what you want intent to read! I only write that’s his shadowargue of project complexity not is valid in my opinion, and that i have him a few times offered my developer time and contribution for free. He has never reacted on this and thats let me came to the result, that’s this is not wanted! Thats all what i wrote! My last words to this thematics.