Please recommend me a lightweight Audio Multitrack Recording software for Win 10, and possibly Linux

1 Like

That looks oddly similar to Audacity…?

It is :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like OCENAudio, which is also oddly similar to audacity, but with 85% less WTF UI craziness. Simple, free, and solid.

1 Like

I think someone just took Audacity sauce code - recompiled it, renamed and slaped their own branding on and whalalala - new editor! But why…?

No multitrack recording.

Because of spies. Tenacity was released a couple of weeks ago, so it’s still a little buggy. You could also use an old audacity version, until version 2 it’s save.

Of course you could graduate up to something bigger and more complex like Adobe Audition. For some bigger jobs like podcast editing or recording narration I use the Fairlight tab of DaVinci Resolve, which is free and incredibly feature rich.

2 Likes

it’s not free but Acon Digital make Acoustica, which has a multitrack editor that’s on the minimal side, if I remember right it’s about $50 for the version that doesn’t have all the audio restoration tools

1 Like

… or Cakewalk and MuLab

1 Like

Thanks for recommendations again!

MuLab looks neat!

I’m planning to tame the beast of Ardour - it’s multi-platform and affordable. Perhaps I can turn off and hide all the fancy stuff, and make a simple bedroom-studio template - that would do for me.

MuLab is a full featured DAW.

2 Likes

it’s literally free…

1 Like

well yes, it’s donation-ware

of course, you can say that for every ‘business’ in this world… you are free to donate, right?

now, back to reality - it’s free

1 Like

I was referring the compiled, ready-to-run option: Download Ardour | Ardour Community

1 Like

I had a similar situation. I wanted to record some acoustic stuff, single mic, just capture the sound, on my Surface Pro 6, and Reaper was just sluggish for me. I looked around and didn’t really find anything I liked, and ended up using my old copy of CoolEdit2K.

Not even sure that’s even available anymore. I think Adobe bought it and ruined it.

2 Likes

Yes. I think CoolEdit v2 would be perfect. I just downloaded a demo version from Download Cool Edit Pro 2.0 for Windows - OldVersion.com. It looks perfect - that simplicity is so great and refreshing.

2 Likes

CoolEdit was a fantastic program! Way back then I used to make dark industrial ambient tracks by recording into it and manipulating the wave forms. Good times! I stopped using it once it became Adobe’s Audition.

2 Likes

I used to use it to clean up cassette tape recordings. I’d sample some tape hiss, use that to get a noise reduction filter, and then apply it to the full wave. Very handy.

Was good too for removing pops and clicks when I was digitizing vinyl.

2 Likes

there’s Muse for linux.

don’t think it works on Windows though.

https://muse-sequencer.github.io/

2 Likes