Please recommend me a lightweight Audio Multitrack Recording software for Win 10, and possibly Linux

I really like OCENAudio, which is also oddly similar to audacity, but with 85% less WTF UI craziness. Simple, free, and solid.

1 Like

I think someone just took Audacity sauce code - recompiled it, renamed and slaped their own branding on and whalalala - new editor! But why…?

No multitrack recording.

Because of spies. Tenacity was released a couple of weeks ago, so it’s still a little buggy. You could also use an old audacity version, until version 2 it’s save.

Of course you could graduate up to something bigger and more complex like Adobe Audition. For some bigger jobs like podcast editing or recording narration I use the Fairlight tab of DaVinci Resolve, which is free and incredibly feature rich.

2 Likes

it’s not free but Acon Digital make Acoustica, which has a multitrack editor that’s on the minimal side, if I remember right it’s about $50 for the version that doesn’t have all the audio restoration tools

1 Like

… or Cakewalk and MuLab

1 Like

Thanks for recommendations again!

MuLab looks neat!

I’m planning to tame the beast of Ardour - it’s multi-platform and affordable. Perhaps I can turn off and hide all the fancy stuff, and make a simple bedroom-studio template - that would do for me.

MuLab is a full featured DAW.

2 Likes

it’s literally free…

1 Like

well yes, it’s donation-ware

of course, you can say that for every ‘business’ in this world… you are free to donate, right?

now, back to reality - it’s free

1 Like

I was referring the compiled, ready-to-run option: Download Ardour | Ardour Community

1 Like

I had a similar situation. I wanted to record some acoustic stuff, single mic, just capture the sound, on my Surface Pro 6, and Reaper was just sluggish for me. I looked around and didn’t really find anything I liked, and ended up using my old copy of CoolEdit2K.

Not even sure that’s even available anymore. I think Adobe bought it and ruined it.

2 Likes

Yes. I think CoolEdit v2 would be perfect. I just downloaded a demo version from Download Cool Edit Pro 2.0 for Windows - OldVersion.com. It looks perfect - that simplicity is so great and refreshing.

2 Likes

CoolEdit was a fantastic program! Way back then I used to make dark industrial ambient tracks by recording into it and manipulating the wave forms. Good times! I stopped using it once it became Adobe’s Audition.

2 Likes

I used to use it to clean up cassette tape recordings. I’d sample some tape hiss, use that to get a noise reduction filter, and then apply it to the full wave. Very handy.

Was good too for removing pops and clicks when I was digitizing vinyl.

2 Likes

there’s Muse for linux.

don’t think it works on Windows though.

https://muse-sequencer.github.io/

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing it out. Muse looks great. Motivation to install linux again.

Audition is too heavy imo… Not lightweight at all. It’s like recommending a brain surgery for a simple headache haha

1 Like

Wow Cool Edit, now that’s one I wish you could still get. I tried the adobe one some years ago and I do like it, there were some features I found useful, but nothing I would pay a subscription for. If only I wasn’t so broke back then I would likely still be using it… but I do really really like Acoustica, it has ALMOST everything I want in an editor. The thing that baffles me is taking a stereo sample and making it mono it doesn’t give any options it just does it the way it does it and I hate that, it’s not like there’s no way to work around it, it’s just one of those things that is hard to comprehend why an audio editor would not give the option to mix or choose which channel you keep.