Polyphonic sample playback with different sample start points per note?

Hello,

I’d like to play a multi note chord using a single sample but have each note in that chord start from a different point in the sample. I would like those start points to change every time a chord is played. Ultimately I’d like this to happen while recording and not through automation.

Does anyone know the simplest way to achieve this? Is there a tool someone created which can do this or a way within Renoise? thanks!
-e

1 Like

Perhaps through creating a phrase and set up different sample offset positions and possibility patter commands?

oh interesting idea, so like w/ the phrase running you could leave out note information so it becomes a “modulation source”?

I think you have to put in a lot of note events in the top row, with the probability command Y with a value in the panning or volume column and the sample offset pattern command per track, not sure if it works exactly with what you want, experiment with it. I think I have seen some crazy instruments posted on the forum related to this, but meant to showcase granular control over sounds with different starting points per ‘grain’.

1 Like

•••ReGranulizer••• Granular synthesis xrni

•GRAIN SCRUBBER• xrni

These instruments show the general concept. So, yes, you could definitely do what you’re after using phrases. It would just take a little setup. You have twelve note columns to work with in a given phrase, so there would be twelve possible start positions per note per phrase. You could use phrase randomization as well if you wanted more possible sample start positions

3 Likes

beautiful thank you, will take a look at the tool you created and try w/ phrases too. btw, was just watching your dsp video, thanks for that as well. -e

1 Like

Another option is to duplicate the sample to a number of layers, set the start and end of the sample for each layer as needed, then turn on Keyzone > Overlap to cycle or random…

3 Likes

oh that sounds pretty simple, thx!