•••ReGranulizer••• Granular synthesis xrni

Hi all,

As a result of discussion in this thread, I’ve made a pretty functional granular synthesis instrument in renoise using phrases and the sxx command to trigger sample slices. It has some quirks and limitations, certainly, but is a good start toward native granular synthesis in renoise. Check it out here:

ReGranulizer v1.1.xrni (1.0 MB)
ReGranulizer v2.xrni (640.4 KB)

Version 1 has linear playheads, while version 2 has more randomized, “swarming” playheads, a different sample, and slightly different macros

Read the comments when it opens, drop in a sample, and experiment!

There are 12 different playheads per phrase. 3 playing start to end, 3 playing end to start, 4 random, and 2 ping-pong playheads. Playheads must be manually enabled/disabled in individual phrases if you want to use different ones. This is done by muting/unmuting the note columns in each phrase. Each column is labeled with its functionality.

Happy to answer any questions in this thread if anyone has any.

peace

20 Likes

One suggestion I would do:
-Replace the Pitch LFO with a Stepper DSP.
-In it set the Length to 256, Step to Random, and Create a Linear Curve.
-Place the Pitch Operand in front as an adder function. The Pitch stepper is set as a multiplier function.
proper_random

3 Likes

@slujr - yep, this is a smoother pitch randomizer - just tried it. Thanks, @beatsgo!

1 Like

@Achenar should take a look for next video :open_mouth:

Here is a Video, where i play some samples and experimenting with this instrument:

6 Likes

Great sets of examples here - not even close to revealing them all. So many options, and so many ways to make your own patterns by messing with the phrases AND turning on/off the various playheads. A really beautiful instrument and well-represented by @ArturRembe

1 Like

I haven’t tried all of the options yet. But when I loaded the one sample in at the beginning, it produced nice sounds, so I recorded it straight away.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and prefer the sound of the random lfo retriggering, but, to each their own!

1 Like

Nice one! Thanks for posting up video of this. I didn’t watch the whole thing, so maybe you already tried this, but I would encourage you to get into the edit screen for individual phrases and try muting and unmuting the various playhead’s note-columns. The instrument behaves very differently depending on which playheads are enabled. It’s also possible to write your own playhead patterns for specific behaviours

1 Like

Yes i saw this, but havnt tried this out. Next time i will :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

definitely do. it changes things considerably :slight_smile:

glad to see this getting used!

I’ve updated the instrument slightly… grain decay and release have been merged for more intuitive behavior, and a new control, “grain shape” has been added that alters the attack and decay scaling curves from a very short, narrow, steep “peak” for each grain, passing through a triangular amplitude envelope, to a broad, flat rounded square shape. this offers more expressive control of the grains, imo.

ReGranulizer v1.1.xrni (1.0 MB)

3 Likes

Yep, I was going to start looking into that for myself - very good idea!

2 Likes

New version of the instrument with “swarming” playheads. Pretty much everything is the same, except there is now more random jitter to the position of the playheads as they scrub across the sample, and all 3 start to end playheads are enabled by default.

Again, individual playheads can be enabled or disabled for each phrase, but must be done so manually in the phrase editor.

Enjoy!

ReGranulizer v2.xrni (640.4 KB)

6 Likes

this is so nice. Thank you for the effort. I had some fun with the phrase shuffle for different flavors, too.

1 Like

Ah, nice. That’s a great idea… I’ll have to try it!

1 Like

with high LPB it has kind of a phasing effect, at very low speeds with randomized Y values it becomes …something… especially if you have 2 different granular_instruments running “against” each other. I wish I could acess more values externally.
Anyway, this is really great. I had a lot of fun piping drumloops and voicesamples through it and playing with the phrases. Changing the probabilities and adding up, down, arpeggio, vibrato FX etc. so cool

2 Likes

Glad if you’re getting some good use out of the concept! I’ll have to try some of your ideas regarding track fx. I bet it changes the sound in interesting ways :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a heartfelt thank you to @slujr and everyone else involved! :slight_smile: You did an amazing job, such an awesome addition to the toolbox! I already put it to use in a track.

2 Likes

Very welcome!! Glad to have it in the toolbox, for sure :+1:

2 Likes

amazing stuff

1 Like