Preverb Or Pre-delay!

I’m looking for good way to make a preverb or pre-delay (don’t know the “official” name for it.

Normally I do it by reversing the sample and put some delay or reverb on it, reverse it back again and there it is: A nice preverb.

The only problem is getting the sample itself start at the right spot. This is not impossible, but a little annoying because you have to play around with it.

Does anyone do it like me, or does anyone have a good solution for this effect?

Walter

yep, i allso use this method…never even think about that there might be such a plugin for that…

What about mpReverb in Renoise 1.5 ? :)

i think the “pre-delay” Dsil means is when the delay/reverb decay is played backwards leading into the sample. i usually do it the way he does it too ( don’t think you could make a live effect that does it). “pre-delay” in mpReverb is just spacializing bounce it doesn’t do the same thing.

Waves IR1 does this realtime.

interesting.

so it starts playing your reversed reverb decay before you decide what sound you’re going to play? ;)

very douglas adams. hold on, i’ve got to get the door. the psychic pizza man is here with the pizza i just decided i was going to order.

it would be alot of fun to live in a universe where effect preceedes cause.

:wacko:

this sort of stuff usually only happens to me on acid.

this is good! :D

Haha that would indeed be cool.

Anyway, there was a nice tutorial for this on Computer Music. Will check for the link…

http://computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/effect…s3/effects3.asp

Just go on to page 2…

yes, but that means that the attack can only be as long as the time it takes it to calculate a full reverb decay, which means it’s preprocessed, which means it’s not real time. QED B)

‘LOL’

Nice one guys.

Okay, but, I havent got Logic, so i’ll have to stick with the old process…

Thnxz anyway!!

:D

Actually, that is impossible in vst. If you’re interested, have a look at the specification.
Supatrigga does what it does by keeping a buffer and replaying tempo-cut slices of it.

Pseudo pre-verb is always possible, but as Florian Mosleh already more or less stated, effect can’t preceed the cause.

Maybe if you were in a black hole…

Reverb “pre-delay” is actually the time between when the sound is played and when the reverb starts, what you are describing is a frequently used effect in modern music.
A real reverb pre delay would look like this:

((Sound)) <-gap-> ||||::…
((Sound)) <-gap-> ||||:::::… <- tail

It’s difficult to describe but if you imagine dropping a slab of lead on the floor of a cathedral, there will be a very short period of silence until you hear the reverberation start, most high quality reverb FX will have this pre-delay effect built in.

What you are thinking of is this:

…::||((Sound)) ||||::…
…:::|||((Sound)) ||||:::::… <- tail

Exactly.

there wil l always be some latency when using a real time reverse reverb …because of the look ahead time buffer …

would be sweet to be able to do this real-time in renoise :w00t:

I find for this sort of effect that around 3000ms of a fairly bright sounding reverb does the trick. Also, a fairly mono-ish reverb gives a little more focus on the sucking effect.

I’m a fan of EpicVerb - you can really get into tweaking that thing to get a very workable reaction and colour. Use those filters and EQ! If you don’t have something fancy like EpicVerb put HPF and LPF and EQ before the reverb in the send channel. You might have to add a bit more length and gain to the wet, but it’s well worth it.

All you have to do to make things easier is to sample your reverse-reverb separately, 100% wet and without the original signal. Sample/cut it to the lenght of full beats afterwards. That’s easier to set it at the right position within the pattern. To do so and make it even easier just use the direct rendering function in renoise (alt - strg - shift - r), after you marked the tracks and lenght within the pattern.

Let’s say you marked and sampled 8 beats of reverb. A sampled reverse reverb with a lenght of 8 beats logically kicks in 8 beats before the original sample. Put it that way into your pattern and things will be easy. It doesn’t matter if there is a second of silence in the beginning of your reversed reverb sample or not. Do NOT cut it, at least unless you know how many beats you’re cutting off. The point is the lenght of the sample, less of the reverb itself.

Btw for reversed reverb it’s a good idea to do some heavy compression and maximizing on the sample. Try to get your sample as loud and dense as possible, over its whole length. This makes it easier to control its volume in the mix afterwards, with volume automation for example.

Cheers,
-BA

Get this freeware reverb plugin for instant reversed reverb sounding effects:

I’ve ditched EpicVerb and Ambience in favour of StereoRoom2016 at the moment.

ah sweet there’s a new version.
v1 always used to crash on me.