Proper GM importing/support

When I load GM midi files Renoise forgets the channel information and adds like 30 blank instruments. It would be amazing if Renoise had a changable general midi soundfont and an option for when importing GM is switched on to automatically configure to GM standards. It’s such a chore to go and reconfigure the midi channels and instruments each time a midi is loaded. For instance I use an SC-88 and load GM and have to set whatever instruments actually have note data to a proper channel and set the patch number for it to actually load up on the hardware.

have yout tried yet

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/51335-libraries-generalusergs/

for instruments i have no experience, a general midi drumset should in my opinion be created from the ground up in renoise because wrong looppoints and some information missing

i started making a gm Instrumet with my roland r70 (same sounds as SC-88) and gave up (my samples are flawed and the drum machin has a quirk)

again with yamaha-Ry30 and created midifiles from the book: drum programming: a complete guide to program and think like a drummer
not quite finished, the drum samples are ok, for the beginning but the midiimport confused me, write the whole thing in renoise again

what I really want out of (sorry for my offtopic)
would also have a great interest in a renoise general midi soundset and I would also participate in it but should be done in renoise
just compare a quality gm soundfont in an editor like polyphonic or look deep in your general midi machine and try to imagine how something like that could be done in renoise or redux, inside this great sampler with its handling and possibilities

When I load GM midi files Renoise forgets the channel information and adds like 30 blank instruments.

What are your default MIDI import settings?

They can be set from preferences and when rightclicking a MIDI file: “Load with Options…”

If I specify a MIDI output for my instruments, the channel, bank and program from the imported MIDI file appear just fine.