Quick Question: Renoise's Commercial License.

Hello!

My brother and I own a YouTube account in which we recently gained the ability to monetize videos. We are having a bit of trouble with their copyright protection steps because of the music in the projects.

What they are asking for is a link to the commercial license for the programs their users utilize to create their music. As I use Renoise for this purpose, we showed them http://www.renoise.com/license-agreement, but their reply stated that there is no information on whether we can use this program to make the income that we would get from ad clicks.

Is there a link that we can give them that may be more related to this issue?

Thank you very much!
-Reid

Hi Reid,

You’re not the first to report this. I’m sorry to hear that YouTube are being so strict about this stuff. We will definitely try to look into this problem and maybe revise our license text a bit, just to confirm that registered users do in fact have the right to use their creations for commercial purposes.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Cheers.

Very much appreciated! I did indeed pay for Renoise, so I am excited for the update to the license. Thank you very much for your attention to the community.

-Reid

Edit: I wonder - do you think you can update us on either here or the website when the modification to the license agreement happens? I would like to let YouTube know as soon as possible. Thank you!

Sorry, but I’m afraid we cannot really give a definite answer here. We need to get a lawyer to prepare the legal text very carefully so that everything is covered and done correctly. We’re trying to get this taken care of soon, but this whole situation with YouTube has taken us by surprise a little bit.

I wonder what’s YouTube’s policy if you tell them “It’s my own software I use.”
I mean, what’s wrong with a self written stupid little sequencer/mixer for samples? Do I have to use commercial software if I want to use YT? What’s next? Will they ask for the origin of the samples? So you tell them:“I did them on my own, generating sine wave data with a perl script.” Will they ask if you have the right to use the sine function?

Edit: Sry, ranting at 3a.m…

Well, i currently have ads on some of my tutorials and i am allowed to enable it. Not sure if it is because i’m part of the team or they simply haven’t checked my contents yet if it meets the new policy. (It has changed recently). But i doubt i need to supply specific consent proof for use. (Unless i use Michael Jackson in my Video’s B))

Hey Reid V,

Could you please send me the message you received from YouTube telling you that Renoise’s license wasn’t right? I’d like to look into this to come up with a suggestion for a license alteration. My e-mail address is

netpoet@highteq.net

Thanks,
Frank

FYI: Also sent Reid V a PM with my business e-mail address. Just in case.

Hello!

It was my brother who received the message, so I will get in contact with him as soon as I can! Thank you very much.

EDIT: I should also make sure that sending you their exact message isn’t against their TOS. Never can be too careful…

3 years later seriously still no update on this? It’s a pain to see how many “do not” are written into such agreements to protect your rights but besides that nothing to keep the rights of your customers as artits. Pretty much EVERY free VST plugin makes it very clear how you may or may not use the software and the samples (usually you own the music but may not grab the samples for a dumb rebranded plugin). Comparing the license-agreement that comes with the installer to the agreement on the website: http://www.renoise.com/license-agreement there’s even a futher point 6 “e” that does not makes this even better but worse because it’s written pretty vague. “musical content” could mean pretty much everything. So in short it’s not clear if this software could produce music that may be used in a commercial product (e.g. video, computer-game, …) at all. But at least devs protected their rights… I’m going to uninstall renoise now and continue to use my old but well known open-source trackers with samples I created myself years ago. I thought renoise could probably bring me a step forwards but sometimes less is more…

Cuser: I really can’t imagine some youtube lawyer genuinely at any point reading the renoise agreement, ever.

Is this still an issue?

It’s not just a youtube issue. Think of many game engines this days with stores (Unity, Unreal, …) where artists may sell their songs as game music - at least if they own that music. Commercial usage of your music is pretty clear with many VSTi plugins (and even other free stuff as host). But it’s pretty unclear with the online version of the EULA from renoise and worse with the EULA that (differs) and comes with the setup of renoise. I was already searching a refund button on this website but would not waste again more time for now. It’s not getting me any further but slows me down.

Hm no expert here, but why not simply add a paragraph like:

“All composition data, music renderings, settings, production results are copyright only by its creators without any restriction and can be used, distributed, sold in any way its creator wants.”

And

“Even if the license for using renoise was cancelled, the production results stay copyright by its creators”

Or a separate paragraph that the target of the renoise license does not include any produced results.

cuser, just if you have to, say you used Cubase, reaper or what ever you feel like, no one will ever check or care unless you go to court to protect your owner rights if someone steals your hdd and claims they are the original owner

it’s pretty unclear (…)

Let’s be absolutely clear on this: We at Renoise have no interest whatsoever in trying to restrict your creativity or have any kind of legal hold over your creations. We’re musicians ourselves, and we would never agree to our own rights being restricted in such a way. Your music is your music.

Any original music/composition that you create with Renoise using your own samples is of course 100% yours to do whatever the heck you want with!

The same general rule also applies to any original creations that are partially (or wholly) based on Renoise’s factory sounds. We sourced (and licensed/paid for) those samples, so that you would have something basic to get started with, and you’d actually be able to use those sounds in your own creations. It would be rather stupid if you spent hours/days/weeks working on some amazing music, and then you couldn’t release it anywhere because we suddenly said “not so fast, buddy, you can’t use our samples in your music!”

So please don’t abandon Renoise over this particular issue. Make your music, and have fun!

there’s even a futher point 6 “e” that does not makes this even better but worse because it’s written pretty vague. “musical content” could mean pretty much everything.

Legal documents definitely suck ass. You know this, we know this, everybody knows this, but it’s an unfortunate and necessary aspect of doing business.

The clause in the EULA looks scarier than it really is, as is usually the case with this ugly legalese crap. Let’s take a look…

§ 6 Express Forbidden Uses

1. The licensee is expressly forbidden to:
    (…)
    e. reformat, mix, filter, re-synthesize, edit or alter the sound samples and other musical content connected to the software for use in any kind of commercial sampling product/package or software, without the express written consent of the licensor.

Now, I’m certainly no lawyer, but as far as I’m concerned it does not say that we want to control or restrict the music that you make with Renoise.

It’s basically saying that you cannot take any of our factory content — samples, demo songs, etc. — and then repackage them in their basic form as part of another product. Nor can you take them, modify them a little bit, and then repackage them that way. That’s simply not in good faith, nor is it a fair use of our factory content.

For example, you cannot take our breakbeat samples, chop them up a bit (or filter/distort them a bit), and then sell them as your own breakbeat sample pack. You cannot take our demo songs, render out some of their patterns as loops, and then sell that as your own sample loops pack. Once again, that’s simply not fair use.

On the other hand, if you produce your own original musical composition that is partially (or even entirely) based on Renoise factory sounds, that’s totally fine. As long as it’s obviously an original creation by you, and not simply “hey, let’s play all of Renoise’s breakbeat samples unedited, back to back, for 5 minutes”, then it’s fine.

Likewise, if you want to remix one of the included demo songs and release it on SoundCloud (or wherever), provided that you get permission from the original song creator, that’s also totally fine.

In general, we really don’t care what you do with your own original compositions, even if they do happen to be based on some of our factory sounds. Just apply a bit of common sense and be fair when using the included content, and nobody will have any problems with it.

…because we suddenly said “not so fast, buddy, you can’t use our samples in your music!”

Hahaha, nice said :slight_smile:

Well the problem is that there are actually a lot of tools for making stupid youtube videos (like cat animation creators or so), that have a license that restricts the usage of the produced results.

thats why I think you really should add a paragraph to your license that clearly expresses what you wrote above.

dblue: that’s good and all, but does it help in convincing youtube? I mean if youtube still refuses the use of Renoise to make the music you upload because of the license, then there is a problem.

Let’s be absolutely clear on this:

Here in the forum? If you wanna be absolutely clear then fix your EULAs, think a second how you could write this down correct to protect your rights but even the rights of your customers (this is not that difficult if you take a look in the various EULAs that did this already pretty clear) and provide only one version of it (not two different at website and installer). You are not the first one who would protect it’s raw asset and it’s much easier for you than for somebody that have to figure around with some viral copyleft restrictions like GPL (but even guys that have to mess around with GPL in a commercial world did that successfully with some simple “exports are yours exclusions”). What did your answer in this thread change in that “Legal documents definitely suck ass” issue afterwards? We could now reference with something like ‘dblue said in the forum …I swear’?

Just give them the Cubase one and be done with it, like you are done with it every time you tick ‘I have read the licence agreement’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Lawyers aren’t cheep, and you can’t just write stuff on your own.

Every industry in the world works like this for something so miniscule.

What did your answer in this thread change (…)

You seemed concerned about whether or not you could safely use Renoise, so I was only trying to put your mind at ease a little bit, and let you know that it is in fact safe to use Renoise for your productions.

I appreciate that the EULA needs some tweaks, but it’s not like we’re intentionally trying to duck the issue here, deliberately protecting our own asses but not giving a shit about the user’s rights. I think it simply didn’t occur to anyone that the EULA must also specifically explain that the user does in fact own the rights to their own original creations. A simple and honest mistake, nothing more.

To be perfectly honest, apart from this thread and maybe one other instance that I can recall from email support, nobody else has really contacted us regarding this issue. Either YouTube has lightened up a bit since 2012, or all the people uploading their Renoise music to YouTube do not have monetized accounts (find this very hard to believe), or they’re lying to YouTube about which software they use, or… who bloody knows. Either way, nobody has really been making any fuss over it, so it unfortunately slipped our attention.

Anyway… Your feedback is noted. The EULA needs some tweaks. We’re on the same page here.