Really, No Beatslicers Are Needed

i have been using renoise for about 3 years now

i have used cubase, sonar, flstudio, nuendo, reason etc

renoise is easily the best of the sequencers

beatslicers in my view are f****ing lazy shit for people that want everything to be done for them

i use only renoise for my tracks (excluding mastering)…no editors…no external effects…nadda

you can chop, cut, paste, create offsets etc

renoise has everything

…as for a pattern/clip arranger…f**** that…some lazy ass fl shit…

there is a pattern arranger already!

as for wav tracks…please! this is not cubase!

some of you people need to use some skill and practice rather than relying on the application

the best thing about the best hardware ever made…sp1200…mpc…qy700…was that it was simple…no frills…no gimmicks…just samplers and sequencers…

its such a cliche but its YOU that matters…not the machine

constaints and boundaries are essential

i am not hating…but please…enjoy renoise for what it is…simple…effective…streamlined…a great workflow efficient tool…WITH CONSTRAINTS…

p.s i used to use the emu x2 with renoise but it seems to be unnecessary and a lot faster to use renoise on its own

now the emu is hot shit so that is saying a lot

If the new features would not change your personal methods of creating music (which they wouldn’t), then what difference does it make?

If a more advanced pattern arranger is going to help some people create music (which is the whole point, isn’t it?), then why not expand Renoise’s abilities to include one? We’re all suggesting that both behaviours should exist in Renoise, not just one or the other, that would be suicide. So if both features can exist side by side and it doesn’t change the way you work then what do you care?

If a WAV track feature would help somebody easily bring a long recorded session into their song and mix it with other tracked elements (something many people want), it wouldn’t change the behaviour of normal tracks in any way, and therefore it wouldn’t change anything about the way that you work… so again, what do you care?

If a … well, hopefully you see the pattern emerging here.

It’s wonderful that you are mananging to do everything you want using your methods, but Renoise is not about YOU, it is about US, the community. Many of us have been tracking for many years (~20 years now for me personally), and obviously we love trackers to death, but there is always room for improvement and change. Making a few things easier for the user is in no way a bad thing. Your approach to this situation - by insulting people who actually want features that would be helpful and time-saving and calling them lazy and unskilled - that is just ignorant and very annoying, and I’m tired of seeing these kind of responses around here.

dude
really its difficult to insult people i dont know
just seems that the whole essense of renoise is simplicity, a lack of bugs, its contrast to mainstream sequencers etc
i know it aint about me…just seems that the whole advancement thing…i.e never just saying…it aint broke so it doesnt need to be added to forever…to renoise 7.0

like a violin or drum kit…why add shit on that aint even necessary

by adding a whole bunch of features that simply bloat its nature are you not basically making renoise into something that make it lose its charm and appeal?

there is a difference between what is needed and what is wanted

i dont see how you can justify a beatslicer when you can already do what a beatslicer does in renoise…blah blah boring old argument

i am sure many people have skills…its just that LEARNING is the best way to improve

rather than getting some new feature to short cut it for you

some mad totally amazing music is made with renoise…this proves that you basically can do anything with it already

i think music software is often constantly updated for financial reasons…renoise is an exception to this…

this i greatly respect

recording was a feature that cuts out the need for an editor/recorder like soundforge…excellent

hendrix never got better because of the guitars he bought

funk never got better cause he used the latest software

squarepusher made big loada with a dr660, an s950 and an sh-101

i mean…

beatslicers are like fastfood…

its just an opinion…

my crap talking should not offend you…this be the cyber playground man…toughen up…

Whats the big deal?

The way you argue there should be no reason to make Renoise or any software in the first place? :)

Why don’t we all just stick to 4 track taperecorders from the 70’s. You know… they made fantastic music with them…

Just because you can do lot of things, it does not mean there could be a better and faster way to do it.

I don’t think anyone here have the intention to make Renoise bloated anyway…
Looking at renoise 1.2 and renoise 1.8 I don’t see anything bloated… and thats a ton of new features…

The best of sequencers? Do you mean trackers? or are you using the term “sequencer” generally?

Hail dblue, brilliant post, nice words. I absolutely agree. :)

For the record, I have no interest in a beatslicer myself either, although I did make some suggestions for extended sample offset commands that would enable beatslicer-like behaviour. I personally feel those would be more useful than a “beatslicer”, but that’s beside the point, and you can read about what I said in other threads anyway.

I agree with the idea that an application should be not bloated, but we’re not talking about bloat here, we’re talking about time-saving features. Features that could potentially make the entire process of creating music easier. And by “easier” I don’t mean “lazy”, I mean easier, more fun, more condusive to being creative and inspired, and less time spent doing very repetetive and mundane tasks which for many people can be a creative barrier. (And that does not say anything about the person’s skill level either, by the way, it’s a simple truth).

With regards to a clip-based pattern arranger concept, I see something that would only make the creation process more fun and freeform. I imagine the ability to easily grab one piece of my song, clone it, then quickly drop it into totally new areas in the song just to see what it sounds like. I’m imagining the ability to easily edit automation curves that span 4, 8, 16, or more, patterns. Or the ability to drastically alter the whole structure of my song easily, with just a few movements of the mouse, not by using the highly antiquated and awkward pattern order list, and definitely not by using 23765 keystrokes of copy/paste action.

I’m also talking about the ability to easily visualise my entire song with a quick glance, being able to see exactly what is happening and where, without having to memorise every single pattern and the exact order/position of everything. Memorising this data is quite easy when you are in the moment and first creating your song, but when you come back to that file 2 months later you have usually completely forgotten about most of the stuff you did.

I’m talking about tactile improvements to the interface that will only make Renoise more fun and intuitive to use. I am not talking about anything that detracts from the value of Renoise or tracking. I’ve been using trackers exclusively for my entire life for a reason… I don’t want the fundamentals to change, I simply want us to evolve a little bit here. We don’t need to be afraid of shit that will make our lives easier, we don’t need to be so ridiculously defensive and elitist about this. We can embrace certain features from other successful applications without killing Renoise.

If you can’t see that, then I honestly don’t know what else to say.

well i take what you are saying

but i am still wary that it may become something more cumbersome rather than is necessary

a healthy bit of skepticism never hurt
your points are fair
i agree that when using renoise…the entire song is difficult to visualise…however i still dont see that a visualisation is necessary

i consider the non visualisation of wave forms to be an advantage of renoise…you are naturally entitled to your opinion…but really that goes without saying…

i dont mean that we should all just use 4 tracks and yes the improvements have been quite amazing since 1.4 or whatever

there will however be a time when renoise is simply complete

that is possible isnt it?

i consider it an instrument…and therefore have a hard time imagining constant improvements that do not detract from the tracking ethos

a craft takes time…yes time saving is great but like i say…i am wary

…The solution is simple…

Stick with 1.8 if you dont like the advancement. Nobody forces anyone to upgrade <_<

I don’t see problem with beatslicer… if don’t like it just don’t use it. I’d like to use both bs effect and pattern commands such as 9xx.

good point about not upgrading

as long as all versions are left up to be downloaded

yeah, just don’t upgrade. and backup a copy of 1.8. problem solved.

nah,

beatslicers are bloatware,
period.

Are you sure? I’m not a programmer but it doesn’t seem such feature would take lots of disk space or RAM. Or am I wrong?

Anyway much is discussed earlier about this topic here and also before this.

i think i may have been too harsh with that statement.
what i meant was.
having a beatslicer in renoise, in my opinion would set renoise on a path to ‘become’ bloatware.

i do have reasons too.

the beatslicer as a concept is always mouse driven.
however the beatslicer concept doesnt in fact need to be mouse driven.
however through time it will no doubt become completely mouse driven.
so much an to the point, that eventually renoise cxould become completely mouse driven an overly complex.

please dont get me wrong i am all for tighter resolution on sample offsets, but a beatslicer?
i see a beatslicer in renoise as superfluous, since of course we already have that capability through effects commands, which only needs refinement.

I also love the way Renoise is now, compact and small in size but super-efficient in music production. But in the path of improvement there will be no ridding of getting larger in size and more complex in structure and of course that’s inevitable. No one can predict how complex or large Renoise 5.3 would be for now, but we are all sure that it will include tons of improvements.

Yes, and all the discussion here is about the ONLY NEED OF REFINEMENT. Maybe this refinement would be done just by adding new effect commands (for using combined with 09xx) without the need for a beatslicer too.

noone forces you to use new versions of renoise, so if you are happy then be it, if others are missing something which can help the process then it needs to be implemented if trackers wouldn’t evole you would never have renoise , if old trackers didn’t want to have vst support you wouldn’t probably use renoise at all , so the advancment is necessary.

I’m gonna pull a CTGMusic here and say the following:

Generally, I agree with dblue.

[http://www.uploading.com/files/1EWJLI2O/Be...agung_.wav.html](http://www.uploading.com/files/1EWJLI2O/Bendish ____ Gedankenubertragung_.wav.html)

save target as…

i am by no means a pro at this tracker game but this is all just one full lenny white song cut up in renoise

and a 4 second snippet of kool g rap

no vsts or plugin effects

pure native renoise

no soundforge either

no external editors

yea you might not like it but it surely proves that beatslicing is not really necessary

anyway judge for yourself

thanks

g