Record Qwerty Noodling To Sample Editor

And if you could route the output of a track to the input of a line-in device would this not allow you to?

Possibly not, which is why I’m asking. But I think some kind of Track Routing option is the way to go. IE Sound card output 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc etc … virtual input 1/2, 3/4… etc. Then the virtual input could be selected from the Recorder dialogue couldn’t it?

Oh! Yes.

This sounds vaguely familiar. Hasn’t this been requested recently?

heh, good 'ol mac scarcity, maybe this one works? Have never tried it myself, but it is also listed under audio-recorders and available for expensive eye-candy os :) :

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2076.html

You can always use Soundflower on the Mac, but we’re heading in to “reduce the need for registering Renoise as we’re more or less replicating song/track rendering” territory here. :)

Line-in recording exists, but you don’t hear the audio when it records because that was for the realtime rendering.
but if you want to jam your external device and you would be able to listen to the output of the device while it also sends its audio to Renoise, i guess then render realtime is the option.

I remember now. It was me who posted it. “route audio into a VST.”

Not the same, but similar.

Hi, guys. New here, so please forgive me if I say something stupid which is not in line with local customs. :P Oh, and yes, sorry about sidetracking a bit.

I’ve been using Renoise for just under 2 days, and I come from FL Studio, which I really liked (but, of course, Renoise kicks serious arse compared to it). Anyway, rather than recording the output as waveform into sample editor, it would be nicer if Renoise would remember arbitrary keystrokes or MIDI signals, and gave us an ability to dump it into a selected track.

FL Studio has this feature, and it’s great. I sometimes test an instrument on my keyboard, and stumble upon a sweet tune that I can’t remember (probably because I’m a bad keyboard player). So it helps that the software remembers it and gives me an opportunity to dump it onto the piano roll. Of course, piano roll has virtually infinite length (technically not, but it extends to an arbitrary length depending on how much you write in it), so Renoise would still have to deal with the problem of dump’s length (create new patterns on the fly?), but I think I’d love to see this feature.

Well, that’s basically what happens once you turn on edit mode, start playback and hit some keys

OK, this is more advanced - you’re saying that there’s a kind of constant recording buffer somewhere in FL Studio that you can tap into if you just made an interesting doodle? Kind of like those hd-recorders for television where you can rewind in a sports match…I think the concept has manifested itself in various DAW’s as the concept of “takes”, where you can recording something and then, once you stop recording, get a choice between keeping various takes. Not exactly the same thing, but close I guess.

Renoise also has a thing which is relatively close. A tool called AutoClonePatterns which allow you to loop a range within the pattern sequence (single or multiple patterns). Once you start recording it AutoClonePatterns for as long as you like. So simple/easy to use that it has become essential to me

http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/

Yes, I guess there has to be some buffer. You can also list the history of all MIDI commands, so I guess it does keep track of stuff happening regardless of whether recording is turned on or not. So if Renoise could remember keystrokes and MIDI commands, and offer a window to list those and copy paste them onto the patterns, that would be it. For keystrokes, it should probably only remember those that belong to notes (qwerty, yada yada). I’m not sure. Personally, I own a MIDI keyboard, so having it remember just MIDI commands would be enough.

The key use case for me is when I am tuning an instrument, and playing random stuff to see how it all sounds. I don’t necessarily intend to record, and the tuning might take a while so it may overload the pattern anyway. So a buffer that is longer than the longest pattern (512 lines, no?) would be a nice feature.

I’ll take a look at it. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

yes please.
and please no “install this software” “just stop whatever you’re doing and route all sound out to soundflower and stop whatever you’re doing with the line-inputs and just switch the input to soundflower in and stop whatever you’re doing and start recording with sample recorder, stop whatever you’re doing, go deaf, then remember to bypass the monitoring so you don’t go deaf. oh, and stop whatever you’re doing a few times more.” -type “solutions”.

and no, please, nobody start writing suggestions such as “hey, why dont you script the audio input + audio output device changes?” cos I’ll say “yeah, why don’t you provide me with imaginary api functions which allow for setting the sample_recorder input channel to the corresponding audio output/input channel…” and so it goes.

having a native renoise way of recording sample editor jamming (with loop length changes and all that stuff) would be a really fluid way of using jamming to create completely new samples - something which you can’t (freely) / (fluidly) replicate by slapping notes into a pattern and hoping they’re in the right place(s)

Ok, with Rewire not working for me tonight (beta bug?) I have to bump this thread.

The user scenario is simple.

• I have 4 tracks in Renoise.
  • Track 1, 2, 3 are routed to Renoise Master.
  • Track 4 is routed to Audacity (or whatever)
  • While the song is playing, I do a live jam in Track 4, record in Audacity.

Tried, and failed, to get this working with Sounclound and Jack OS X. My sampling app (Amadeus Pro) wasn’t having it.

Back to the drawing board.

I’m dying here. Rewire is not helping at all.

No 64bit recorder plugins for OS X that work.

Argh.

buy a second hand tape / mini-disc / dat / field-recorder? Hook up to mixer, record, win :walkman:

Yeah, that was my setup ~10 years ago. Easy as pie!

Got rid of all the equipment to make room for the future.

What a let down.

Haha.

i’m using 32bit renoise and a record plugin is not the answer at all. i’m not going to look for a 32bit recorder plugin for osx, and im not going to buy one. and soundflower isn’t a solution either.

so i’m in the same boat witcha, conner_bw

I’ve just got hold of a kaossilator and the Korg DS-10 which I was wanting to use to jam along with patterns I’ve created in renoise but couldn’t figure out how to stay within renoise but keep the jamming parts separate from the master mix so I can do some editing.

I downloaded the anarchyrecorder mentioned at the top of the thread and using it I’ve been able to achieve what I wanted to do.

What I’ve done is put anarchyrecorder on the S01 channel. Then added a “line input” to another free track, added my effects chain and at the end and that put a “send” device which I sent the line input signal directly to S01 so it’ll go to anarchyrecorder.

Then I set my track going and select record on anarchyrecorder and play along with my external gear. Then when I saved the recording and loaded the sample back into renoise I was please to hear that only the external input signal had been recorded and none of the renoise tracks that I played along to. :D

Maybe we could script a keybinding that flops between a large empty pattern and the one last edited. Sort of like a temp workspace. You can jam on the empty pattern until you get it right, render selection to sample, then return to where you were.

this would be amazing

the original idea is amazing. i suggest, just like when you are recording audio source , that you could set the recorder for “listen to renoise input” so that when you play VSTI or xrni, it would start recording