Renoise 1.5.1 and Voting-Section

Nice work…

The too much points has been pointed out, but it is too late to limit the amount of points now. There will be a second voting round to get a more narrowed list of new features out of the most favorite voted options for this round.

Voting for “I definately do not want that” is not the goal of this poll. It is more a guidance for developers what users would really like most in a program and the way how things are implemented depends upon the architecture of the application. If this means that certain options can only be implemented in a certain way to make it not disturb any of the other perfectly operating processes, than it will most likely be build that way.
If you definately don’t want something, then just don’t spend points on it or give them to options you don’t care whether it is getting implemented (like the AU plugins for Mac OSX, i know this feature is strongly desired even though i don’t own a mac, but voted for it anyway.)

ahs: I agree about the large amount of points…I ended up with 44 points spare. It would have been nice to have put all those remaining on the feature I really want (better arranger), but I guess I will get a chance to further push this feature in the next round, providing it gets through :unsure:

I was also hoping that mfx or some way of making vst midi fx (such as the ndc plugins) work in Renoise would have been an option too… ah well, maybe next time.

But wouldn’t it help the renoise team if they notice that a large amount of users is against a certain feature, even though another group really wants it?

Man-at-Arms, I think based on what pulsar said about it being harder than initially thought to implement an audio input meta device, that voting for Renoise as a ReWire slave and recording in the sample editor (so that atleast input is implemented, and maybe it will be made routable to VSTi’s before long, which in turn will allow energyXT and maybe others to be used for audio track recording) are better options for those of us who want/need it.

it-alien: i was using my pc when i was having problems. i just tried it out on my mac and it appears to work properly. it is very likely i had a sample that was too short for it to work properly. i will double check later to confirm this.

The only thing that it would help most probably is that the most wanted feature would be delayed to be implemented simply because a group of “against” voters lowered it’s priority and then the only things that get through are the mid-range of desired features which may or may not be that spectacular.
I find that a bit unfair, also the way how things are implemented will not really be known.

Another thing why this is highly unfair: Voting against something is pure based upon prejudice if you don’t know how a feature will actually be implemented and turn out. You can only judge that when it’s implemented and then you can say that you would rather have seen the solution different afterwards.

Why would someone vote against something? If I don’t want a feature because I don’t need it, but every other Renoise member wants it, I simply just don’t use it after it has been implented. I guess there’s nothing new that can affect already implented things in a negative way, or am I missing something?

I simply don’t want the renoise team to spend a year on a feature that a loud minority wants that doesn’t help 90% of the users at all :D

I would personally pay $1000 for Renoise if it had only ONE SINGLE feature that it currently doesn’t have: ReWire support.

Since it doesn’t have it, I use Madtracker.

I hope the developers consider charging more for Renoise ($499 would actually be a fair price if it only had ReWire support) as an option to vote for!

I have spoken with several studio guys here in Sweden who says the same: “I would use Renoise in our studio if it just had ReWire support”. Think of the potential here, developers!

Good to see the voting up! :)

Shame there is no freeze option :(

Number one after that for me is renoise as a VSTi! So more workarounds available!

Maybe a few too many votes in the poll, but a nice few features in there taking renoise in the right direction B)

Thanks for the update also and happy holidays taktik! :)

I was also thinking about paying a bit more for two features: PDC and MPEX2 timestretching.
Can someone estimate the price of having something like MPEX2 or MPEX3 inside Renoise?

But nothing like 1000$, heh. Actually, I’d prefer those in regular updates. I don’t say, huh… :D

Also I don’t think I’d like having Renoise Pro edition, Renoise Home… or Renoise SX, Renoise SL… <_<

Rewire, sure.

$1000 price, no.

Sure, I could afford it if I really wanted to but common! Don’t sell out to a few people waving money in your face as if they own you like a dog. Work on what you want to work on. Keep it real.

There may be things that you cannot go around or simply not use it if it is a core element of the program structure e.g. a completely different pattern arranger. If you don’t want to use it, Renoise will then be completely useless in that case.

So in some way i can understand why someone would not want to have a certain form of pattern arranger or other core element.
But still, how can one know in advance that some idea would turn out disappointing if one haven’t tried such a form yet? And if one did, please share the experiences of the cons and pros so developers can avoid at least those various pitfalls.

Do some arrangement with Taktik if you really can spare that much money.

The only improvement I really would have liked to be able to vote for was the ability to automate more built-in effects, such as pitching but it wasn’t on the list :( Although with that said, I understand that its due to be added at some point anyway though right?

Respect to the renoise dev team!!! :D

Stu

I am a poor student, living on ~$200 a month. But I would still be willing to save money and pay for a license of Renoise with ReWire technology implemented – it would enhance the joy of music production very much. Because I love to work with Reason, and right now I don’t think the MIDI-sync is accurate enough. It would save time and mood if ReWire was implemented. Spare me the sarcasms – I don’t ask for another Loop-strecthing tool (use Acid) or audio recording (use SoundForge) or 500 new track FXs (use VSTs)! :angry:

Have to say it would be nice with some explainations regarding the features to vote on.

1. What is ReWire? And what’s the difference between ReWire Slave and ReWire Master?

2. When will I need a Renoise VST plug?

3. How does a Sub-tick timing work?

4. How will a Mixer View look? A better overview of the tracks and their DSP’s? If so, Great!

5. How will the Arrange view look and work? A better overview of the whole song, in a horizontal way with colors and everything? If so, Great!

6. Piano-roll? … Feels like a mix-up of Sub-tick timing and Arrange view. I guess it can’t get implented until those things are done, right?

Anyway, Improved Instrument (RNI) structure should be the first thing on the to-do-list! :yeah:

yeah… A good point is that AFAIK rewire slave and VST synch will require sub-tick timing? Also a pianoroll and arranger would be kinda crippled without the better resolution.

In other words sub-tick timing is very high on my list. B)

A rewire master is able to ‘host’ a rewire slave and have all of it’s audio outputs channeled into it. So, if you owned Reason and Renoise was able to act as a rewire master, then all of the audio outputs from Reason would be able to be routed to Renoise channels where further effects processing could take place. If Renoise were a rewire slave, then you could use other rewire masters, such as Sonar/Cubase etc and have all your Renoise audio outputs available within the rewire masters for further processing. Midi data can also be sent from a rewire master to the slave (but not the other way round).

If you want to use Renoise within another VST host. If you love programming drums in a tracker, but prefer piano roll for leads, bass etc, then you could use Cubase/Sonar/Live for doing all those parts and then load the VST version of Renoise into said sequencer of choice and program your drums in the Renoise VST.

Not 100% on this one, but I believe it just refers to implementing a higher resolution for the timing of Renoise playback, as currently, most other sequencers allow much finer timing than Renoise does.

I would hope so. If it only offers the ability to change pan/vol of the tracks, then it would be a waste of time really.

There was a long discussion on the arranger view in the Suggestions forum a long time ago and the way Martinal (I think) proposed doing it seemed the best way. Most of my hopes for this feature are based on that topic. Much like the mixer, if they implement this feature, I hope they do it properly and not just a half-arsed effort otherwise it will not suit anyone.

I would think that you are right. I don’t know how it could work without the arrange view, although it could work with the current timing method, but would doubtless create complaints from midi guru’s who wanted tighter timing.

Hmm. I have to disagree on this one. The developers have already stated (a long time ago) that this would take a lot of effort and the question is: is it worth it? How many people don’t have at least one sampler vsti which can likely import all many of formats? Why bother recreating within Renoise something which is already able to be plugged into it? Surely it is better to concentrate on facilities that aren’t in Renoise (and cannot be solved with plugins) for the immediate future, thereby opening up the potential for new users…I can’t see an improved RNI format getting many non-users very excited.

Big thanks for all the answers, xylyx!

I agree regarding mixer and arranger, hope they implent them in smartest way possible. But so for the developers have not disappointed me.

What I’d like to get from the mixer is much faster way to adjust (for instance) EQ within each tracks. Right now I have to click on a track and then search for the EQ DSP in a confused muddled mess of all other DSP’s in that track…
I’d like to click on a track and then see a list of the already chosen DSP’s in vertical order. Then I can click on any of the DSP’s and it will show up.

Regarding .RNI’s… You’re maybe right. However an ideal future for me is to only use complex samples, so I can use track effects on them. Now, with VSTi’s, I have to learn each synth how I do certain things. But sampler VSTi, what is that? Where can I find those?