Renoise 1.5.2 Final Was Released

:eek:

Thanks again to the dev team, 1.5.2 is working like a charm here… Can’t wait to test it on my new system once it’s built. Mmmm AMD 64 +4000 yummy.

Now to make some amazing tunes… (or at least try to…) ;) :lol:

You guys have a lovely break - avoid stress!

Edit: but before you go on holiday update that front page!! :)

original please

;)

ok then…

Find the original (Very hard i know)

Really? You must be talking about a Renoise 2.0 release then…

Freideuter:
Renoise 1.5.2 is not whats currently developed, thats just a bugfix release to squish out the most important bugs as fast as possible. Its also not fair to say that the development is slow, if you dont know what already happened under the hood. Compare this to whats happening in all the other tracker projects…

Also we dont have to release a new full version every new year, just the get the most money out of the customers to keep buisness alive. Please lets keep it this way, everything else stops beeing funny and relaxing…

@ Taktik:
you guys are doing a sweet job. i and i’m sure many others would pay twice if not 3 or 4 times (those who havent already) as much for you an the other renoise devs efforts. theres plenty of people making really dope records using renoise these days. comparitively they rank at the top too!

I’m not involved in the development - that’s right … so I know the information you offer to the users only … and these are not so much about (the future of) Renoise. none or less information about the future of development is an easy way for you devs - but hard for the users.

I know - with 1.5 you created a base for better and more stable upcoming versions … but I can’t understand such a small bug-fix-release if there is another bigger version in progress. these are my thoughts … no more.

you said it Taktik: I don’t know what’s going on under the hood … but I’m not the only one : hundred and more visitors of this website daily and users of Renoise too. and you don’t know how many no forum users waiting for important but currently missing features since month nor years.

maybe there is the possibility to enhance the communication to the users (not in this forum but onto the website) with a little more information (roadmap, more news about development, screenshots of upcoming features etc.). small but important things to show development is in progress …
and if the development is slow - there should be a well known reason (like the big re-development 1.281>1.5).

sorry but at the moment nobody (not involved users) knows if there will be a version 1.6 for sure. nothing is official! and with the 1.5.2 release i’m a little bit confused about time and the Renoise development.

relaxed and funny development should be possible with criticism from users too, isn’t it?! but development of a not free and not open source application isn’t a game or it shouldn’t … and it’s more and more less a game with a growing number of users.

it’s like on stage - a missing line of the lyrics is a difference in front of 10 or 10000 people, isn’t it?! and none of these 10 or 10000 people is involved in your 8 hours sex with 20 groupies backstage, tons of cocain and beer, at the last concert 24h ago :lol:

nevertheless - all my hope for the perfect sequencing application that suits all my needs is still in Renoise!

all the best to the devs!

Foo? puts his hand up to help out with updating the website.

(he works in a big organisation, much time to waste on internet).

No?

It might be even harder when devs write on and on about what they’re going to do, only for the project to loose momentum and be scrapped somewhere along the way, because nobody could get anything done, due to neverending discussions in the community about how feature X and Y are best implemented.

Since Renoise is not Open Source per se, and there are only so many devs onboard, I can see why one would keep from interacting too much with users. I.e. that it would get tedious for the devs to accomodate, instead of just having a go at some feature that had an initial discussion (when it was still on the drawing board). I mean, no one is stopping us from discussing things further, and I’m sure the devs read the suggestions from time to time, and would open up for a user-dev discussion if they thought it would help develop a certain feature, but that’s not happening ATM, and I’m prone to think for good reason.

Does it matter what any of us assume?

Why aren’t they complaining? Sure, it might not be ideal for most of us that there isn’t a new version every other week, but most people with a bit of life experience don’t expect for everything to happen when they want it to.

There might be that there’s a possibility. But I can’t help think that what you’re asking for is already there, on the wiki page.

No one can ever know for sure. But the info on the wiki page (1st December) is as official as they can get without actually releasing something.
From that info, I KNOW that 1.6 is in the works, and therefore under way.

I’m assuming (which I shouldn’t do, but for the sake of argument I will) that vvois was being very cautious in his statement about 1.6 in response to your initial post.

If you have limited time to give to a project, you probably want to get stuff done, and having a conversation about everything isn’t going to speed up development.

No long faces please, i have no credits to give any guarantees so i didn’t state one either, it’s just my personal expectation as i already said.

I ofcourse rather hope Taktik to surprise me but i do not want to look too much forward either.

It’s that simple:

The voting has been done and time had come to really work hard on the new edition.
The targets for 1.6 have been made and work is now really in progress.
1.6 is not 1.5 as is with two different editioned cars from the same brand; which leaves no use for adding features in 1.5 as synchronising those features between 1.5 and 1.6 costs more time which would make development on the new version a true slowdown.
All of this has as a consequence that 1.5 uprades will only contain critical bugfixing to make life of current users again a bit easier.

Just relax and enjoy this ride until the new one is being build on the other side of this themepark. Ofcourse, there is nothing wrong with giving critics, but you would help yourself better by pointing out serious problems inside 1.5.

LAST WORDS - REALLY

hcys,

i don’t want to flame a big discussion. (let’s stop this now) i’d talked about my point of view … and i only think: these all development stress for 1.5.2. is a little bit wasted time if there is another version progress. that’s all.

but one thing you mentioned: i can’t understand a development news page on the wiki pages. keep in mind the sense of a wiki. why we have a news section on www.renoise.com? the real interessting and important news are in the wiki of Renoise???

and it’s important what the users thinking about the development! a single user too. what is a software without users? satisfied users are the best promotion for a software. and there are several ways of not direct promotion, like updated news or more public information about the software/software development.

and hcys … don’t talk to me about life experience … you don’t know me. and life experience has nothing to do with software development speed if you are a simple user.

what should I think about all these v1.6 conersations ? now there is a 1.5.2 release? it’s totally normal that my conclusion is 1.6 needs a longer time, or what?!

i never said i want a new version every week. i want to FEEL a little more a development - I know there is a development. but many other people don’t know this because the web site isn’t reflecting the current development really.

I SAY IT AGAIN … that’s all not a big problem but it’s a really friendly recommendation for the devs to keep the user relation in mind. programming isn’t all … only a recommendation from a musician since a decade and a little successful (self-employed) web and multi media developer since 5 years in the age behind 30. ;)

best wishes merry x-mas, Alex

I recomened that the news be put on a page on the main site, rather than on the Wiki, but for some reason the devs didn’t seem so keeon the idea…

Your point is correct.

First of all, i’ve taken the initiative to do something about the news in the spirit of Bantai’s personal idea that he broadcasted in the mails early this year towards the renoise team, but since he left to Tokyo, nothing happened. (After all, Bantai is the renoise.com webmaster now)
I took the initative with the main purpose to announce there is being worked on the new edition and development is not dead.
Be it, on the only place i have the authority to do this.

I don’t have access rights to maintain the front page, i would have posted the news there if i would have had the rights.

Bantai’s back now and he’s working on the frontpage, so this problem should be fixed for as far as some considered this to be a problem.

Sure this wouldn’t do you better?

Only flares can distract heat-guided stingers. And fast chair-eject mechanisms.

But those are usually instructions for fighter-jet pilots and armoured money-truck drivers.

That’s ok Alex, I didn’t mean for my post to sound as brazened as it did.
Anyway, I agree with you that posting it somewhere on the main site too is a good idea. and maybe on the boards too, for a centered discussion and obligatory ‘waaahh, it looks so cool!’. :)
I don’t see it being posted on the wiki as contradictory to the purpose of a wiki, since it’s supposed to be a general knowledge base.

And sure, it’s natural to think of 1.6 being delayed, if you expected it to be released close to when 1.5.2 was. But from the news earlier this month, it was said to be in Alpha, and we’re in the merry season, so I guess a public Beta is still a ways off.

Again, I’m sorry if I came across as crude. By life experience, I meant the trying of patience and expectancy in any context.

Happy xmas!

WTF?!

Some people can’t just be happy. They always have to complain. No one bugged FT2/ScreamTracker3 developers for a new version every two months. There were no internet forums. Musicians just took the software and made the best songs they could using the tools already in the software.
Taktik and Renoise team are doing a great job, THANKS . Other software companies charge $300 for small releases. (Adobe make littles changes in 5 versions of photoshop over 8 years, and they go and buy macromedia).

So enjoy Renoise. Be patient. Don’t expect development news every dang week either. That’s ridiculous. Software developers need to redesign, optimize code, experiment, vacation…ect

B)