Renoise 2.1 Beta Testing Starts

awesome and unexpected update.
the team delivers yet again :drummer:

Renoise+Reaper+Reason = 3Re = pure f…

Well, you’re ALMOST there with MIDI. NOW, do one last thing…

Allow the instrument column be able to do program changes via the instrument settings MIDI section! The program slider is pointless…

For instance:

Instrument 1: MIDI Program=34, named “SupaSledge”
Instrument 2: MIDI Program=125, named “ClockinYoFace”

Then, to change between those two programs, I can just select them in the using ALT+UP or ALT+DOWN and just type them into the track.

Why is that such a foreign concept? If nothing else, add a MIDI DEVICE specific command to just ACCEPT PROGRAM CHANGE FROM INSTRUMENT SETTINGS! I.e. just throw a 9999 into the row, then it will actually accept the instrument’s program setting and send that message.

Here’s an example, still using the two instruments from above:

(the second column is the instrument column for this example)  

C-4 1 9999 C-4 1 0000  
C-4 2 0000 C-4 2 9999   

This seems more friendly than using a slider and having to remember on each device just what damn program is what! … am I wrong?

Well I still can’t quite get over this. One doesn’t want to come over all Emo, but I had a fucking wretched day at work today and discovering this cheered me right up.

Anyway, I want to feed back immediately in light of my sustained begging campaign in the Ideas and Suggestions subforum ;)

Detached Sequencer View and Live Pattern Triggering work like a dream. They don’t necessarily make life Fisher-Price easy for you, like some people expect of Ableton Live, but that was never the point of this feature. The point was to allow true on-the-fly position jumping freedom so that studio-prepared compositions could be performed live as truly flexible foundations for things like live MIDI control and note input, so that those elements could become as liberated as a live performer needs them to be.

I hardly need to sell this now that it’s been delivered, but I can’t stress how significant it is. Even for a relatively hands-off or DJ-style set, the freedom to extend some climactic tension by smoothly looping a bridge pattern a few extra times or running back to an earlier point so you don’t blow your load too early, or before the dancefloor is sufficiently full, or whatever, is brilliant.

So that’s great. I’ll continue to test it to destruction, but already I’ve got a very nice setup with a few keybinds which I think will become second nature to me, complemented by the ability to name patterns with descriptive text (OMG DRUMZ COM IN HEAR, etc). It seems churlish to ask for more, and I don’t even know if it’s a really essential thing (since I love bashing the laptop keyboard in Renoise), but could these commands be midified? Could the unused MMC transport controls be applied to these features sensibly, along with some CC triggers for toggling follow/loop mode?

New Metas - excellent, excellent news. Pitchbend is a REALLY big thing for me, and the reason I’ve never banged on about it on the forum is that I wanted to focus my nagging efforts on the Live mode ;) But being able to do this in a straightforward, smooth, envelopable fashion is supremely cool. I had a quick play and it seems nice and intuitive.

Keytracking excites me too; I’ll have to play with that. Hydra is one of those things I guess I didn’t realise I needed, but now that I see what it does, I can think of a million fantastic applications for it. Should be fun indeed.

Rewire - I’ve never wanted/needed this, but I can see how it’ll be cool. It seems a lot of people have been hotly anticipating it, and I already see a lot of forum activity about it, so I’ll let those heavily-invested chaps carry the discussion and bugtesting :) Gonna try it though…probably with Sonar for recording long violin/vocal parts. Might open up some huge new possibilities…

Cheers again Taktik, and all the other devs/testers/people who agreed with me about the Live mode ;)

WOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Rewire Support… Next Big Feature --> PianoRoll :w00t:

Thank’s Renoise TEAM!!!

just had one of those “Am I dreaming?” moments.

I. Can. Not. Wait. to. play. with. this!

N.I.C.E!

OH MY WORD I JUST PISSED MY PANTS WITH EXCITEMENT!

REWIRE!! YEAAAHHHH!

THANKS SO MUCH!

And the children were clapping their hairy hands :yeah:

Thank you so much Renoise team!!! :D

Well, put it up in the ideas and suggestions forum…
The PC slider has been added because it was easy, it was a little extra and meant for those who are tired of grabbing their calculator to translate program 56 to hex.

Ha ha, nice! I’ll check it out next week when I’m not busy at work.

But I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you didn’t add note interpolation?

11/10!!!

@taktik, awesome! jack transport! kisses from italy! :P

Thank you :D

nice features…
btw energyXT2 VSTi version is really helpfull to follow long vocal(longer than one pattern) or any long wavfiles.

Thanks…

Thanks a billion… All new features are brilliant, and rewire is like a dream come true. :)

Rewire: Incredible, fantastic, massive. You now have my infite tracker allegiance.

Pitchbend support, excellent! Now I don’t have to automate the pitch of my oscillators separately anymore :) Thanks!

is it possible to do Bank changes in the Midi Control device?