Renoise 2 Vs Sunvox

I’ve heard bad things about the kindle fire’s latency.

Incidentally, in some ways sunvox works better on small screens. The reason being that it’s easier to drag the borders between the different views - there’s less travel. Would like to see alternatives for larger screens someday (maybe keyboard shortcuts for full-screen views in the PC/mac version). It’s a pretty cool app…

makes sense, though I’m not sure with my fingers :) …rather have it on a larger screen as long as it runs stable.

I’m not a fan of the “lets put everything in one frame” layout design

I had it on my ipod touch, I decided trackers simply don’t work well with touch screens.

Virtual Analog Generator. Coming soon in SunVox 1.7.
32 double alias-free oscillators with internal 12/24dB filters; exponential envelopes; smooth parameters changing.

Maybe also add PWM, ringmod + sync to your analog generator?

SunVox v1.7 is out!
iOS version coming soon (after Apple approval).

What is new:

• Android port (Android 2.3 min.);
  • Meego port;
  • real-time recording of any types of sound events (notes, Touch Theremin, controllers changing); WARNING: recording is not available for PalmOS version;
  • if you want to enable/disable the metronome for recording - go to the Main Menu -> Preferences -> Recording -> Metronome = ON/OFF;
  • new module: Analog Generator with the following features: 32 double alias-free oscillators with internal 12/24dB filters; exponential envelopes; smooth parameters changing;
  • Bypass ‘B’ button has been added to the window with module’s controllers;
  • View ‘V’ button has been added to the window with module’s controllers: with this button you can change the view mode (one, two or four columns);
  • polyphony has been increased from 16 to 32 for the Sampler and the SpectraVoice;
  • number of sample slots has been increased from 16 to 128 for the Sampler;
  • “Roll-off” (dB per octave) controller has been added to the Filter module; available values: 12dB; 24dB; 36dB; 48dB;
  • now you can load samples through the “Load Module” file dialog; Sampler will be created automatically;
  • “Preview” button has been added to the “Load Module” file dialog;
  • mouse wheel is now enabled for any type of controllers and scrollbars;
  • mono mode has been added to the LFO module;
  • new features in the Main menu -> Edit: Shrink pattern and Expand pattern;
  • new standard pattern effects 40…5F - delay an event for selected fraction of the line (from 40 (0%) to 5F (100%));
  • new standard pattern effect 04 - vibrato with parameters FFAA, where the FF - frequency, AA - amplitude;
  • new standard pattern effect 22 - set the controller’s value to the random number from 0 to PPPP (parameter);
  • new controller in the Filter module: “Exponential freq” for exponential frequency;
  • new function “Stereo to mono” added to the Sampler (sample editor);
  • new sunvox_config file option: pencontrol - force UI (User Interface) optimization for Pen/Mouse control;
  • new sunvox_config file option: ppi - pixels per inch; example: ppi 160;
  • new sunvox_config file option: scale - UI scale factor (normal=256); example: scale 128 //reduce the size of UI items in half;
  • new sunvox_config file option: synths_min_num - minimum number of modules on x-axis;
  • new parameters (Control Type and Scale) in the Preferences for the UI scale configuration; use it if you want larger or smaller interface elements;
  • Windows: now DirectSound is default sound system; but if you need ASIO output, just select it in the sunvox_config.ini file (audiodriver asio);
  • iOS: “Create Directory” feature added to the Wi-Fi file browser;
  • new examples: electrohouse, afternoon, pong, space_trip, 8bit_tales, sfields1, 1bit;
  • new instruments;
  • sound engine optimization;
  • many bugs fixed.

Video of the new features

Maybe this isn’t the forum for it, but my thoughts so far -

Overall it’s awesome, congrats on the release.

One thing I noticed is that the multitouch doesn’t work right (droid 3) if I play a key and try to move a slider simultaneously. If I press the key first, the slider movement finger registers as keyboard presses. If I press the slider first, the keyboard presses don’t register.

I must admit, I’m kindof used to renoise’s “record into the active pattern” and I’m a bit confused by the “rules” for the creation of new patterns.
As I understand it, notes and automation seem to get recorded separately. It looks like the number of channels in the note pattern depends on the polyphony required for the recorded part (right?). With the slider automation, it’s not clear to me what determines how many channels get allocated.

You are right about miltitouch. SunVox is not fully compatible with it. All multitouch events sent only to the active window, specially for piano-keyboard, zoom and scrolling.

Exactly

Most often - the maximum polyphony, 8 tracks. It is because we need to put several automation commands with different time offsets to the one line.

Analog generator test

v1.7 is available for iOS!

TB-303 emulation (analog generator)
Source: http://www.warmplace.ru/music/sunvox/analog_acid_bass.sunvox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f14EcyinRiI

SunVox music. Best of April 2012: http://sunvox.blogspot.com/2012/05/sunvox-music-best-of-april-2012.html

SunVox + Line-in signal processing on Android/iOS

Hi Nightradio,

I like Sunvox. A couple of questions though (I use it on a PC).

Why have the weird patterns for default when you create a new bar? Why not use numbers? Numbers are easier to work with (like Renoise)

Thanks again. Cool program.

Thanks. God Bless.

Aaron.

Hello, Aaron!

Not agree with you :slight_smile: But the named and numbered patterns will be available in one of the next updates.

vst sunvox sounds good. ill believe it when i see it.

Waiting for usable loop recording mode on the same pattern.
And it would be nice to have better ‘Echo’ with sync and ‘ms’ values and with delay line without artefacts when modulated. and at least lo-cut filter. ‘Delay’ like from monomachine would be ideal.
LFO module.
Presets on modules with ‘next’, ‘prev’.
Drag’n’Drop operations on pattern.
And for some sort of screensets to avoid constantly shifting windows, but probably ideas only good for PC have zero priority.
And NightRadio, you got lots of interesting and fresh ideas. Keep it going:)

SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 3 is ready for testing!
http://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2183

SunVox v1.7.2 is out!
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox
With a lot of new features and changes: http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/changelog.php
Available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Maemo and Android.
Meego and iOS versions are coming soon…

1.7.2 Finally available for iOS!