⮚ Renoise 3.3 and Redux 1.2 released

Download

What’s new

In summary:

• VST3 plugin support
  • Audio Sidechain support for VST2/3 and AU plugins and for some native Renoise FX devices
  • a few little other tweaks and fixes

In detail:

• (Renoise only) VST3 support: The VST2 protocol was deprecated by Steinberg a while ago and replaced with the VST3 protocol. More and more plugins will be available in the new VST3 format only.
    VST3 support is by default enabled on Windows and Linux. On OSX it can be enabled in the Renoise Plugin/Misc preferences. Feature-wise, VST3 behaves similar to VST2, but sidechaining is a lot easier to realize in VST3 (see below) and external VST3 editors can more easily be resized - when supported by the plugin.

• (Renoise and Redux) New #Sidechain device (in the Native/Routing sections in Renoise’s Track FX browser), to send audio in tracks or instrument chains to sidechain ports of plugins (VST2/3, AU) and the following native devices: Compressor, Bus Compressor, Gate. A video has been created to demonstrate how this device works.
    Please note that the sidechain support in VST2s is a bit wonky: The VST2 protocol never had an official way to support side-chains, so the support in hosts and plugins is problematic. The VST3 protocol simplifies this, so it’s preferred to use a VST3 version of a plugin, if available, for side-chaining.

• (Renoise, Linux only): Timing fixes for ALSA MIDI: previous version of Renoise may not have applied note delays in MIDI events correctly.

• (Renoise and Redux) Alt-Tabbing to Renoise sometimes could have frozen the Renoise GUI for a few seconds when a lot of sub folders were visible in the Renoise Disk Browser.

• (Renoise and Redux, Linux only): Use XDG_CONFIG_HOME and XDG_DATA_HOME paths on Linux (defaulting to “~/.config/Renoise” and “~/.local/share/Renoise”) to get rid of the Renoise folder in your home directory. The old “~/.renoise” and “~/Renoise” folders are symlinked to the new paths, so older versions of Renoise, when installed, can still use the old paths. If you don’t have older versions of Renoise installed you can remove them.

• (Renoise and Redux) Various compatibility tweaks and fixes for OSX - but most of them got released in the Renoise 3.2 bug fix updates already: All builds are notarized now, a few drawing fixes for OSX Big Sur, replaced Renoise’s “custom” full screen mode with the standard OSX’ full screen mode for better compatibility in newer versions of OSX.

• (Renoise only) Lua API changes (new API version is 6.1 - this is a minor, fully backwards compatible update - so all old tools will auto-upgrade). See here for the complete list of changes.

A big thanks for the alpha and beta tester crews who helped to make this happen.

Happy tracking!

86 Likes

Yessssss!!! Thank you and a happy new year

4 Likes

Great update. So glad Renoise is still being developed. Happy to renew my license.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for a new update!!

1 Like

Thanx Taktik and team!

4 Likes

yay! thanks! :partying_face:

Thank you & happy holidays & new year!

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the work !

That’s a big milestone reached. Thank you taktik!
Happy new year everyone.

2 Likes

Beautiful, thank you!

Great news!
Any word on Apple M1 support?

A new Renoise user here. The lack of support for VST3 was the biggest niggle here, I’m very glad it’s solved now. Thank you so much guys. I can finally power up Surge in Renoise now.

5 Likes

Woohoo! Congratulations and thank you!

Thanks for this great software…Long Live RENOISE !!!

3 Likes

Downloaded but haven’t got it to run yet, VST 3 just getting stuck (i.e waves) and then I have to reboot and Renoise seems to not have blacklisted and gets stuck again…

That’s awesome guys, thanks a lot and happy new year to everybody.

2 Likes

Does Renoise automatically choose the vst3 version, when a vst2 and vst3 are found in the same folder? That way I could clean up, by tossing all my plugins in the same folder. Thanks.

Thank you!!

Sorry for asking the noob question, but from what I gather, I have to uninstall the old renoise version first and then install the updated one? Is that the right way to do it?

1 Like

If you only want to use the new version, uninstall the old one first. If you want to keep the old version next to the new one, just install the new one.

In general it’s not necessary to keep older versions.

1 Like