► Renoise 3 Beta testing starts - announcing Redux

I’m a little disappointed since I was hoping for audio tracks and/or zoomable pattern editor to achieve a more flexible editing for

ambient and natural music - but anyway, this is a really nice release and I’m pretty sure that these new features (even if they are a bit

too technical for me at the moment) will expand my creativity in time. So thanks for this Christmas present, and I wish everyone a nice

experimenting time with this new release!

yes

as it was for 2.0, 3.0 is a foundation stone for many changes which will be in the future. We simply could not put everything in, at least if we wanted to release the thing someday…

For me this release is a deception… I was waiting a modular tracker…or at least more internal routing options…Lot of vstfx need audio or midi input… Sidechain eq and comp for exemple… Well i now know this Will never happend… That feel the end of renoise to me… I think devs wants to have access to the bigger market of vsti.fx and are bored to put work for tracker niche market. Its understandable…

I think renoise should be fun and new tools absolutely support that. We have vst for instruments and effects. What we didnt have was flexibility and idea sheet like in fl studio or ableton, now we have that. Phrase editor is great, scales and multiscreen support also, doofer is like rack in ableton live. Just one think looks funny to me, that track scope panel that nobody uses :lol: .
Everybody wanted beta, now some people are yelling that this is not what they wanted, even if they dont know what is under the hood. :ph34r:

Me too. Two years for this?

Where are audio tracks, pianoroll, modular, etc … also why 2.8 to 3.0 jump.? I think its Renoise 2.9 not 3.0

The new instrument features are incredibly powerful. Thanks a lot!

(I tend to prefer workflow improvements, but I think the new features are awesome in that aspect as well.)

good stuff! :D

meshuggah! \m/

Excellent update!

Incredible useful additions here.

Redux is also a killer idea, must-buy for me already.

Best,

Lutzenkirchen

Wow! Crazy night, i fell asleep and got this by the time i woke up :dribble:

Some features very unexpected indeed. I haven’t really got the changes grasped yet.

So far it’s the

• Doofer device (!!!)
  • Resizable automation
  • Automation of DSP on/off

that get’s my biggest attention yet.

EDIT: What I miss in this release is the zoomable pattern editor, really thougt this was going to make it into v3.0 tbh…

Anyways, very big thanks to the devteam and happy beta testing everyone! :drummer:

Yes, I’m also disappointed. No free/continuous oscillators, no automatable sample trigger points, no phase modulation, no automatable loop points. Those things would be pretty basic stuff for a DAW with the emphasis on its native sampler and mangling samples. But they’re not in.

Were did the groove settings go? Where are the spline curves for automations and envelopes? Where is the FM device? Group inserts? Audio tracks? Referenced samples? Extended Hydra? Why a convolver, when the algorithmic reverbs would still need some optimizations but remain untouched? This could go on and on.

I agree with cAMEL. It really leaves the impression, none cared about the user requests for features. Features, that really make sense or would be even essential. Of course, it all looks fancy and it’s capable of doing a lot of things. But too often of doing them only “somehow” or “almost”, instead of doing them really as good as necessary. A simple example are the LFOs. Yes, it’s really and definitively nice to have those in the instruments available now as a device. They even can be applied bi-/unipolar now. Someone tried that yet? It doesn’t make ANY sense, how they are applied as unipolar. The way they are applied they are simply completely useless. Another thing with the LFOs is the limited speed to 20Hz. Todays dance sounds use fast LFOs for vibrato or phase modulation far beyond several kHz, which makes the source sound dirty for example. A 3.0 LFO applied with its max of 20Hz at the edge of its capabilities instead sounds like a candy rainbow SID arpeggio.

Don’t get me wrong. I can see, there is gone a lot of work into 3.0. A lot of things have become better and more advanced. I appreciate and respect all the work and effort. But the result is not, what it should and could have been. It would specially have been a good idea to take care of all the little important things, that are missing or need to be fixed for a whole while already. But that again didn’t happen for really important things. And at this point Renoise finally doesn’t fit my needs anymore. To keep talking and talking and talking about needs and lacks obviously didn’t change anything and beside that I’m really not up to wait another 2 years. Time to learn something new.

On a sidenote - SOMETHING has really happened there, I’m downloading a near 200meg .tar.gz for 3.0.0b1. The 2.8.2 I downed previously was a meager 35:ish meg. :blink: Or is this something that would be optimized somehow for the final release?

Anyways - Hope to get my hands dirty with this soon!

Effect chains and destination routing per sample, instrument modulation, probability command, phrases, doofer device to mention a few: these are all user requests.
They are perhaps not your requests but hey:it is still Beta time, this is also the debate session where there is room for improvement of small things, not just bug fixing, i would suggest you to put them here:
http://forum.renoise…hp?showforum=70

still no option to load midi vst plugins .
So if redux is going to be a vst plugin , will it be able to send midi out ( for using in audiomulch ) ?
I guess not .

New phrase editor

Hey vV, are you working on a new features explained video this time too?

Great to see a new beta is reality. Looking forward to todays 5 hour train ride so I can dig into this.

Thanks, devs!

Wow! Great release, definitely unexpected in some areas but I really like it. It’s made a few of the tools I have made for v2.8 completely obsolete and I’m really happy about that, lots to learn and new possibilities to explore. Thanks for the early xmas present!

I can understand why some folks might be disappointed but I think the team have concentrated on what makes Renoise different and in maximising creative sampling possibilities rather than trying to be a full on DAW. Anyway while the haters are hating I’m sure many folks and me are going to be HAVING LOTS OF FUN WITH THIS!!!

Peace and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Achenar is doing the videos since the past few years. I suspect is he working on the new material as well.

Yay!

very happy with this, need to get it to my studio asap, but judging from the news, it fixed everything I was annoyed about in transition from 2.7 to 2.8, (instruments) and added huge possibilities for future upgrades without need of changing the core, so I see future of 3.x releases very bright!
very happy about graphic flexibility as well, automation will be surely much better to handle

big big ups!

e: also I have to say, that it’s great that you are imrpoving tracker core of renoise - i think redux is perfect option for someone who needs to use tracker but also pianoroll etc, if somebody decides to only use one software for everything he is limiting himself, instead of adding something that can be found anywhere else you are offering ways of extending possibilities, and that’s great

as you came with redux, perhaps in future you can try some simple product like ReRoll or something, which will not pretend to be tracker but a completely new thing, that combined with redux or rewired renoise will become “it” focus of such program being midi, live recording and traditional piano roll approach maybe with some twist (preferably simple to use, focused on enhancing renoise instead od trying to make renoise jack of all trades)