► Renoise 3 Beta testing starts - announcing Redux

I think this has more to do with the bundled samples.

So we’ve been discussing things on IRC regarding the new instrument modulation capabilties and I threw a very quick demo together showing how they can be applied to create a synth. Join us for the discussion.

Demo song is here: download

The ‘quick-3.0-demo-synth’ instrument is comprised of the following:

• Two ‘oscillators’ which crossfade from saw to square (macros 1 and 2)
  • ‘Oscillator’ 2 detune (macro 3)
  • Filter attack, sustain and decay/release controls (macros 4,5,6)
  • Global filter cutoff (macro 7)
  • Global filter resonance (macro 8)

The demo song modulates the cutoff in real-time using the new instrument macros meta dsp.

Enjoy

GASP. Never thought of that. Of course!

gave you +1 by accident so sorry for that -
not a single user wish you mean none of your wishes ? because I personally feel that lot of wishes are happening here,
maybe not the fancy new addons but it definitely moved forward in terms of unity and workflow

Looking quite promising so far but PLEASE LOSE THOSE ROUNDED CORNERS

Mild deception here as well.
I’ve been using Renoise as a sw mixing table for about 4 years now (all sequencing done in Buzz for the synths, live stuff only)
It’s doesn’t look like 3.0 is going to change anything - It looks more convoluted than ever and I have yet to find a new feature I care about (Doofer maybe).
Hopefully it lays the bases for something more interesting. Let’s start testing…
Anyway, thanks for cuting the wait.

Cheers,

LX

I believe that you could be happy with Renoise 2.8 then. Renoise is not intended to be a “mixing table” primarily, so I doubt you will find anything useful in Renoise 3.0 indeed.

would be interesting to know what would be an useful addition for your needs, though

oh yes! can’t believe it really happened right before christmas.

but damn, why did you guys hide the pianoroll so well? took me like half an hour to find it. looking good!

What about the upgrade price?
Should people who have >3.0 licence upgrade in this beta period to save some money?

Not that I personally care much. But nice to know I think :)

I’m really enjoying the new gui. It has been well thought out in terms of fast switching between views while not jarring you…everything you need is right there. Something which caused me some aggravation in the past. That phrase editor for samples…genius. Thanks guys for the great work.

Congratulations to taktik and all the people involved in the coding of this third opus of Renoise.

I don’t know if people can imagine the hard work on this release, that looks rock solid, stable and promising. I’ve tested my old modules on it and experienced 100% backward compatability, and no crash, no bug, the sound is even better sometimes, maybe some improvements in the playback engine, under the radar, have been made.

Even if it’s not filled with 12 new ear candy dsp fx, I like this work on the core playback engine and sample logic.

Adding more control more power, and more flexibility to instruments, reaches one of my deep expectations during many years.

I remember my own wishlist,

¤ I’ve imagined and asked some "super-xrni"s with DSP chainsand now it has come to a reality.
¤ I’ve asked round robin selection on multislayered samples and it is now ready to use.
¤ I’ve also asked some xrni => VSTi export, and I just realise that it is probably what I can expect from the upcoming Redux solution.
¤ I’ve spent hours to use the old pitch / volume enveloppes to build some synced arppegiators and trancegaters, hoping for a better solution in the future, and now we’ve got a built-in system even better and faster to use.
¤ I wanted to control instruments parameters from the pattern editor and now we’ve got Macros. Reusing the “MIDImap logic” into the new Macro system, is a very nifty thing, Renoise stays very fast to use and to configure, it’s simple, intuitive ; I compare this system with many other DAWs and Renoise is the fastest.
¤ The Doofer™ device meets also my old expectations and previous requests, … and it will allow me to simplify and customise the look of my longest chains.

I’ve discovered the IR more seriously through the new convolver DSP. So of course I asked so many things in the past that didn’t happened today, (HTRF 3D sound, and 3D vis in scopes, vocoder, more spectral meta-devices) , but clearly seeing 3 of my main requests perfectly coded and executed, is the evidence that the devteam is reading people here.

Concerning the audiotracks, and zoomable patterns, warping between slices, I’m a bit suprised, because I though that it would be included as the “big suprise” in this release…, but yes, it’s a big big thing, and, maybe, it’s something that should be kept for 3.1 or 3.2, who knows

i was also really hoping for audiotracks (but i didn’t expect it would come), and semi-expected zoomable pattern editor, but yeah…we can’t know, until its released. wouldn’t both things be a little too big to be included in the next two minor updates? i am still really, really hoping audiotracks are coming one day, but i doubt it will be anytime soon.

still, a lot of really powerful stuff went into this major release, and it’s one helluva christmas present!

Gratulations for the new release! Great you could make it before Christmas 2013!
I see a lot has been done at the core of Renoise, the “per sample”-modulation and audio mangling
capabilities are awesome. The phrases are a weird incarnation of “instrument clips” that carry
the tracker paradigm a long way.

Yes, some features I would have really liked are not there (native synth or piano roll :rolleyes: to name
just a few major ones ). But I see many other features have been added which will help many users to
accomplish their musical ideas faster.

I hope I find some time to test out the new features and help rooting out some beta bugs.

Btw. is there somewhere a documentation of the new features? The tooltips are a big help already, but
to grasp all the new things some kind of reference would be neat.

First, thanks for the new Release and Congrats :D/>/>/> . You guys definitely made the release this time extraordinary thrilling. I didn’t expect the release before Christmas anymore. The waiting was pretty hardcore this time.

About the new version: actually I expected a different “new feature set”, so at first glance I was a bit dissapointed. Especially I was hoping for WAV-tracks / Clips.
But those Redux stuff and it’s automation features seems to be really great. I also like the concept of the standalone instrument. Thus, it’s possible to integrate Renoise into DAW’s like Reaper, which have better WAV handling, but are not so good for creative sound design.

I love already:

• the redux concept esp. automation, fx channels + phrases. Wow, so much smarter than e.g. Kontakt’s concept. this is really a sample instrument on it’s own.
  • doofers & instr macros -> really cool !
  • resizeable windows for analyzer / envelopes
  • detachable instrument editor

Everything else I have to check out, first, it’s too early to evaluate things properly

I dont get this whines about realease, renoise become an ultimate techno machine. And i think this is awsome release, and to all of you who expected something diffrent, u still have options to use another software solutions.
(sorry for a bad english)

New relesase looks good indeed… some really powerful and useful features have been added!!!

what a dream of a release :)
the renoise instruments will eventually replace all my synth and sampler plugins
gaining full control of all notes + phrase editor, whoa
amazing =)

Renoise 3 speculation thread bye bye!!!

Thnx Guys cool massive WROK!!!

Great release guys! Christmas came early this year! Loads of things I wanted have been implemented.

Really nice to know!

A thing I’ve found to really support my personal workflow: Alt + d for “detach instrument” - works as a toggle, and has become second nature for me when working in the pattern editor (brings up instrument where you left it)

Not just samples, but vst’s and MIDI too :slight_smile: