Renoise 3 speculation thread

For the stretch heads and audiophiles;
With some love and attention slice markers plus that amazing “slices to pattern” tool will get you pretty darn far!

Paulstretch (IMPLEMENT PAULSTRETCH AND GIVE HIM A FEW BUCKS FOR EVERY SALE!!)… Best free piece of software together with flicflac imo.

Sorry Hardcore Tracker Dudes, I guess I just got a little mad at nonsense statements like the following…

Man you really gotta be up into some serious petty crime stuff constructing sentences like that.

Haha you are alright man. I for one definitely like the idea of more ‘live’ possibility with renoise though, although I’m mainly more a producer than a DJ/livePA…

79.1% of grannies interviewed have never heard of gaybleton.

…other 20.9% answered ‘wimbledonn?? ohhh yes, I like to watch sports sometimes’…

What, your granny uses gableton? I didn’t knew that… Cool!

CLICK ME!

except he meant sonic foundry acid but accidentally said ableton. :P

OKAY

Stack overflow …

After all that talk, I am looking forward to the next version of Renoise. Although - as many have stated before - I am in the class of users who still haven’t fully discovered / unlocked the potential of Renoise 2.8. So no rush, but still I like christmas happening early:)

lol…

I’ll tell you where Ableton looses to everything, and looses pretty bad. Its a huge debate, and it has people who vehemently agree and by the same token disagree: Ableton’s audio engine, has a strange behavior. It adds a very dark mud to the music. I call it, “the color gray.” Everything that comes out of Ableton sounds very gray to me. Look on the Ableton forums and you will find, “at least 10 years worth,” of threads about this subject.

Cheers

:walkman:

I think it’s a myth. It strikes me that it’s more about how the DAW makes you feel, how you react to it and by extension what you produce with it. Ableton Live potentially makes creating dull music very, very easy. As did Acid and any other mainstream tool that allows you to get some quite big tasks done in seconds.
I’m all for easing workflows naturally, but with this power comes some responsibility. If you want to make interesting sounds then it needs work - but with Live it’s quite easy to just throw down tons of loops and render out. Bang. The thought processes applied to the evolution of the track were minimal… that sounds okay with that, click, and those, and all of that … click click done.

But when you work with sound and think very carefully about every step and ‘feel’ the interactions and contexts between elements starting to form in your own mental construct of the whole, then you begin to understand the music. And in understanding comes the ability to innovate, move direction, add counterpoint and all kinds of adornments that support (not just add to) the rest of the framework. It’s called being an artist rather than simply scribbling mindlessly.

I think this has more to do with the perception of how a DAW sounds. Personally I’ve made lots of tests between various audio engines and all the main contenders out there sound just fine. Cubase sounds like Live. It does. It’s only when you start adding plugs, making EQ decisions and going down ‘easy pathways’ that the functionality of the DAW suggest for you, that a more delineated character starts to form.

i’m agree with you

:(

Granular granular granular granular, forget time stretching we need internal granular SOMETHING with like multiple “playheads” that can be individually manipulated and morphed between eachother with various settings for their interaction and automation.

Ableton sounds like piss because of the plugin delay compensation, Cytomic Andy basically agrees with me on this though I tend to phrase it a little more aggressively since I don’t work for them. People who don’t use the FX rack are so fucking boring that they never run into this problem, their tracks are garbage because they don’t even try.

Take a kickdrum, split it into two paths on FX rack:
add nothing to one path, add a basic EQ to the other and don’t even take the time to attenuate anything, just flat:

Enjoy your DOOF turning into a ZOOTH then add more effects and more complexity to the chain and your transients get wrecked more and more so your DOOF keeps going into a BLURPH then GORF then THUD then PFFF and so on. You can add artificial sharpness to it later but it’ll never be the same, the process just turns shit to mud the further you go into it, at one point you just get KSHHHH HIGH FREQUENCY CONTENT followed by BLUURP LOW FREQUENCY CONTENT and that’s that, no character no texture just digital piss, and this is coming from someone who swears that analog processing is irrelevant horseshit.

It’s all shit.

In a thread where I was talkin shit about Ableton:

$800

EIGHT

HUNDRED

DOLLARS

did i mention i fucking hate daws

renoise is like a locost 7, a shed built caterham clone that can fuck a motherfucker up, any lamborghini any whatever on a mountain road, middle fingers up in a cloud of smoke sideways not giving a fuck

crude, primitive just a motor and the driver, no air conditioned perforated leather for the asscheeks, nothing but intuitive precise control, just smashing shit left and right cause its an extension of yourself

and yet here i am wishing for FX racks in renoise while simultaneously hoping the devs dont fuck it up like ableton did

reason is a toyota sienna minivan with the dealer installed child safety package
cubase/nuendo is one of those short school buses converted to look like a limo with a fishtank and a bunch of useless tacky shit
fl studio is an M&Ms themed donk monte carlo, which is perfectly fine really
audiomulch is a solar powered unicycle
pro tools is like a late 90s jaguar, catastrophic build quality, all fake marble panel premium pretense bullshit built for geriatrics

i dont even need to explain what model vw logic is (its a jetta, used to be a golf but who cares either way)
sonar is like a shitbox chevy lumina with a billion ham radio attachments and antennas sticking out of it with like UFO bumper stickers and shit
zynewave podium is a early 00s saab, maybe a 9-3 aero, looks fine and has about everything you need but good luck servicing that shit
energy xt is a geo tracker
buzz is a rusted out citroen with a junkyard alfa romeo engine and cadillac seats and who knows what else cobbled together from wherever
ableton is a prius, intriguing concept but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

presonus studio one is totally a mazda 3, looks about right, works about right, but where the fuck is the character
all ipad music apps are scooters, and they’re not even vespas they’re those shitty japanese scooters that look like running shoes
maschines, mpcs and especially that akai daw is either a steam powered horseless carriage or one of those train cars that are just a flat platform on wheels where you have to pump a lever up and down for it to move under manual labor and it can only go in one direction cause duh its on rails, stupid
ardour is some kinda third world kia 1.2 liter diesel or something