Renoise As Vsti Or/and Rewire :)

Well I my memory might then betray me. Can’t find the post myself. Sorry for the misinfo. :(

No, i read it too. it’s here.

It’s not only stupid. It’s evil.

Well, there are obviously two camps here:

Refrain A: “Let’s cram more features into Renoise so that ultimately we won’t need any other softwares!”
Refrain B: “Let’s open up Renoise so that ultimately we can use all other softwares with it!”

… and C: “Let’s wait and see!”

Rewire is not an open standard, it’s just popular.

Do you remember the most popular kid from your high school?

Me neither.

I’m using other software than Renoise when playing live sets, but if there was Rewire support I could use the max/msp patches I need with Renoise. The workarounds haven’t been sucessful yet. But Renoise probably need some new features to make live sequencing easier before I’d actually start using it, something simple like mentioned in the A Very Simple “live Performance” Mode thread. For now I just render the Renoise stuff I need. The rest is up to other software I’m afraid.

Sure! I was the most popular kid on/at/in(/what-is-the-correct-preposition-in-English) my high school. :D

Ah, thank you! I can still trust my head. Or at least know that it can be trusted. At least in some cases. :)

Do you really think it’s so black and white? I have my doubts… I agree there’s a lot of more important work to do than implementing Rewire and I give two thumbs to that. And I really don’t need it at least currently. I’m not against it tho, just don’t see it having enough priority compared to the work it should take. Know nothing about it’s usability, so I’ll just shut up now. Have nothing more to say. But please go on with discussion.

/the Kameleonth Guy

Well, if that’s the case: that Rewire requires Renoise to be rebuilt in the structural programming sense, and that this takes a lot of time for taktik, then I’ll also conclude that it’s not worth the effort. I didn’t know this.

So I’ll switch side and abandon my Rewire dreams. Instead I’ll vote for the Arranger.

Renoise as a VST would break the deal for certain.

Rewire is for controlling “Reason” am I right?

I tried Reason, thought it sucked big time and so I don’t need Rewire.

No, it’s not just for controlling Reason. With Rewire you can have perfect sync between ALL Rewire applications: Cubase, Sonar, Fruity Loops, Orion, Reaper, Waves, Rebirth, Halion, Live… well, the list is long.

May I suggest that we all vote yes on proposition “renoise as vst” next time voting is open! :P

Reason version 4 sucks big time. But not version 3.

Edit: gotta disagree on this with myself also…

lets pray for taktik to see the “ReWire” option in the next Renoise release, maybe Renoise2

This is a fact that ReWire may not be used by many renoise users, but for the minority who would use it (like me) it is gonna be a BIG feature. It is very hard to collaborate with other musicians who use tools other than trackers, anyone who has the experience admits it. There are ways to sync and use multiple tools to produce music, but rewire is something ideal for a producer who has to use several tools in collaborative work.

I hope this will be implemented in future.

Renoise VST would be great
Imagine being able to open renoise inside renoise and the triggering patterns via a single command in your host Renoise
You can do some very cool stuff this way
Just ask any XT user including myself ;)

NAS

Rewire would definately open up alot of possibilities and features and I am quite sure that alot of new users would flock in. people that need renoise only for specific tasks (not everyone wants to switch their tool and renoise is far from perfect, sadly). This is only one coincidence, but some time ago I read a post in the kvr-forum about someone saying that he would love renoise just to do drums but the task of loading up renoise/making loops/exporting them/cleaning them up (PDC …) in yet another software and finally loading them into his host is just to much hassle. People like him would surely buy renoise the instant they can link it easily (EASILY … MidiSync is great but still too geeky for some people) to their preferred host and just have it ready in the background to contribute their drumwork (or whatever).

I already know of a few people that are actually doing their music with several supposedly-stand-alone-DAWs linked together, ACID and Live have great ways to mangle/timestretch loops, Reason got some very unique sounds and Cubase/Logic can hold it all together…

So you can either see this potential of new users trying renoise, maybe loving and buying it, contributing to the userbase or development or just spreading the word and offer Renoise to those people as another “piece of gear” in their virtual setup; or you can just be p***ed that not everyone is taking this software as seriously as the current userbase, but honestly, I personally don’t have a problem with that at all.

I really think that rewire would actually be a good thing.

The VST-Idea on the other hand is too odd even for me, Renoise is not meant to be a little plugin but a full DAW. Making it a VSTi seems kinda “low” …

I also feel the same, those who don’t know much about renoise may think of it as a cheap and simple tool when see that it is available as a VSTi.

Yet this feature can be useful of course, but ReWire is another thing…