Renoise As Vsti Or/and Rewire :)

May I suggest that we all vote yes on proposition “renoise as vst” next time voting is open! :P

Reason version 4 sucks big time. But not version 3.

Edit: gotta disagree on this with myself also…

lets pray for taktik to see the “ReWire” option in the next Renoise release, maybe Renoise2

This is a fact that ReWire may not be used by many renoise users, but for the minority who would use it (like me) it is gonna be a BIG feature. It is very hard to collaborate with other musicians who use tools other than trackers, anyone who has the experience admits it. There are ways to sync and use multiple tools to produce music, but rewire is something ideal for a producer who has to use several tools in collaborative work.

I hope this will be implemented in future.

Renoise VST would be great
Imagine being able to open renoise inside renoise and the triggering patterns via a single command in your host Renoise
You can do some very cool stuff this way
Just ask any XT user including myself ;)

NAS

Rewire would definately open up alot of possibilities and features and I am quite sure that alot of new users would flock in. people that need renoise only for specific tasks (not everyone wants to switch their tool and renoise is far from perfect, sadly). This is only one coincidence, but some time ago I read a post in the kvr-forum about someone saying that he would love renoise just to do drums but the task of loading up renoise/making loops/exporting them/cleaning them up (PDC …) in yet another software and finally loading them into his host is just to much hassle. People like him would surely buy renoise the instant they can link it easily (EASILY … MidiSync is great but still too geeky for some people) to their preferred host and just have it ready in the background to contribute their drumwork (or whatever).

I already know of a few people that are actually doing their music with several supposedly-stand-alone-DAWs linked together, ACID and Live have great ways to mangle/timestretch loops, Reason got some very unique sounds and Cubase/Logic can hold it all together…

So you can either see this potential of new users trying renoise, maybe loving and buying it, contributing to the userbase or development or just spreading the word and offer Renoise to those people as another “piece of gear” in their virtual setup; or you can just be p***ed that not everyone is taking this software as seriously as the current userbase, but honestly, I personally don’t have a problem with that at all.

I really think that rewire would actually be a good thing.

The VST-Idea on the other hand is too odd even for me, Renoise is not meant to be a little plugin but a full DAW. Making it a VSTi seems kinda “low” …

I also feel the same, those who don’t know much about renoise may think of it as a cheap and simple tool when see that it is available as a VSTi.

Yet this feature can be useful of course, but ReWire is another thing…

VSTi is low is a silly statement as far as i’m concerned
You quite obviously just don’t see the possibilities it offers
You also obviously dont see the restrictions Rewire has compared to VST

NAS

Talking about “low”: Then the only choice is Renoise as ReWire master, isn’t it? ;)

Beside Live and Reason which can be ReWire slave, which other apps would be useful when being slaved to Renoise? I’m just asking because implementing a ReWire master is about 100 times easier than a slave…

And has someone here really used ReWire so far (I dont mean in theory, but to make music). ReWire just takes care about the sync, you still have to maintain multiple songs, multiple preferences per session and so on. Does this really work, or is this just something you want to have until you get it? Remember that MadTracker supports ReWire but this never seemed to be really accepted/recognized…

Well, Rewire-Master-only is kinda bold … Just like Cubase, refusing to be “slaved”, LOL…

If Rewire would increase the stability of sync-issues and is easy to implement, why not go for it. As I said, this might not be a huge thing for the existing community of renoise-users but everyone else.

And madtracker never had the exposure that renoise has now, so that might be a reason.

i would also like to see renoise have full rewire mode

I have used ReWire, but not much, because I mainly use renoise and it doesn’t support it. For me it is not that important that renoise would be a master or slave, the important thing (for me) is the easy and perfect sync. There is always a rewire master to use to sync other slaves. Isn’t it? ;)

Renoise supports system standards like Apple’s IAC and, even better, open source standards like JACK.

Rewire is a proprietary format. It’s popular, but it is unlikely to live without Propellerheads legal department handing out “free” licensees. Implementing Rewire might be too little too late.

Newer technologies are already here and music apps will probably support IAC / JACK before Renoise supports Rewire.

Thus, the effort should be measured against the relevance of Rewire in the medium to long term.

I would go with Renoise>Rewire over VST. The possibility is huge, I could use it with max/msp. Everything I write in Renoise I edit in something else later on, thats just the way it is; trackers aren’t the best for everything, but from what i’ve experienced they are the best for some things such as beat chopping and anything rhythmically based. I will never be completely satisfied until either renoise has all the potential of a system such as max/msp, or i can integrate it with something of this kind, without having to render from renoise first. One of these options has a future, the other does not. Now i know VST i could use with max, ableton, whatever, sure, but read some of these articles about max and rewire, and tell me then that rewire wouldnt be cooler:
http://www.cycling74.com/story/2007/11/26/162922/53
of course i could be wrong, so im open to arguement, but this is the way it looks from here

i would also rather have renoise to support rewire,than be a vst-instrument,it somehow amazed me that madtracker have rewire and renoise dont

Probably because it was easier to implement in MadTracker.

I think that if Rewire Master master options would be implemented, it would already be more than Renoise currently offers… for sure it shall please a small amount of users and might still open opportunities for those that would rather have liked Rewire slave mode instead / as well.

i think it would please a large amount of people,(including myself)and it would really offer alot of opportunities as you say

Rewire master seems totally pointless to me
I can’t see my self finding the mixing capablities of Renoise better than Reaper for instance so its seems higly unlikely that others ill
So what are you gonna feed into Renoise exactly ?

I would think feeding Renoise into Reaper to mixdown would be something but not the other way
VST is the only way forward and anybody who can’t see that just doesn’t understand the power it would give

NAS

come to think of it,i would probaly also run renoise into reaper for mixdown,but still a +1 for rewire