Renoise Challenge #1

I did an exactly rule-fitting little piece about a year ago, but I can’t post it since it seems I have lost the .xrns somewhere. Only the .ogg remains.

That’s bloody genius man… good job old chap! :D

Wow that sounds friggen hard to make something interesting…

but I think I’ll try…

Was quite some fun. :)

Found it more interesting to struggle against the polyphony limit and using NNA personally. Though the second half of mine is kinda boring and the bridge to this part isn’t really nice.

I really liked yours Beatslaughter… nice use of the percussion and pad

and danoise’s one is pure madness.

Yep, challenge == fun! It’s kinda of back to the days of sound/pro/fasttracker, where composers had to make choices like: does this sound belong to the left speaker, or the right speaker?

It’s funny how we’ve gone about it in, like, three different ways so far…

Oblique Strategies

• Call and response
  • Synthesis
  • Foundation, then detail
  • Negative space
  • A change of tempo

Hand us a card, but don’t reveal the deck!
Here’s Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt’s oblique strategies (original version)

Funny that, I just posted about them in another thread :P

I think that zomg and danoise did impressive art work!

zomg got a little bit dissonant at the end but the idea to cover a song that would build up harmonies perfectly together with well chosen delay paramters leaves no space for complaints. It’s just wonderfull to see how a melody gets a canon and finally builds chords, followed by another melody. This song doesn’t just use only one channel as the challenge orders. It also uses only one single instrument with only one saw sample.

danoise’s version of popcorn uses tricky automation and builds up a whole song with drums, melody, even chords and arpreggios - all through one feeding channel. Another great trick is done with an LFO on the instrument pitch for octaving its sound.

Both get 10/10 from me. Great job, guys.

Actually danoise’s trick is a bit less complicated than that… it does look fairly complicated though ;)

erm, what i posted was actually not meant as an “entry”, as it’s sort of unfair to give me credit for pachelbels cool canon. what you can give me credit for however is the dissonance in the end ._.’
i had ONE note wrong as a 16th instead of an 8th in pattern 21, so yeah, that was actually really NOT pachelbel, but my work \o/

(i am teh greetest)

well, danoise pwns everything so far i guess o:

here my real sort of entry, alltho it sucks harder than any underaged taiwanese prostitute, but what the heck :0

(they made me do it!!11)

:expressionless:

edit: hm, listened in again and am not so sure about that “danoise pwns everything so far” anymore, because k’neel and beatslaughter did sum darn quality work, too. damn

edit2: here is the ogg, it’s full of fail <3 omg.ogg
<_<

Yup, me want kaneel back 'an bizzy for more than ~half hour! Previous entry rather rough, methinks

The dissonance was good! I too can’t take full credit for my entry - popcorn, probably the most covered song in the whole world!! [BTW I PULLED THE MIDI FILE FROM THE NET. IS THAT CHEATING?]
But it seems we whipped up an identical technique, only I used the delay lines to achieve an “additive” mix, while you went for the canon effect. Cool!!
THERE MUST BE OTHER CREATIVE USES FOR THIS

PS: Did I mention that Beatslaughter had my head nodding quite heavily? Well you did!

I’ll try as soon as I can :)

Looking forward to it :P

that track is not full of fail as much as full of cool buildup with no climax =\ … FINISH IT!!! :P

… and yes, kaneel’s and beatslaughter’s tracks’s’s are kickass trackzessezz as well… I haven’t heard a “full of fail” track yet for this challenge ;)

So, any more takers? :yeah:

Should I take the lack of activity in this topic as a sign that this challenge is too difficult? :(

Well, I guess we’re all looking forward to the next challenge then !!
BTW Congrats on the album Kaneel, you know what you’re talking about ;)

Almost time for a new challenge… gotta think up something that will get more attention this time… hmmmmm… puts thinking cap on

wrote most of this in january. it’s a bit rough around the edges.

xrns
mp3