Renoise Challenge #1

Suddenly I feel the urge to make sweet love to a piano roll… how odd.

This is a really cool idea. I like the spirit of this challenge. I’m a little late to the topic but I’m still going to do this, if only for my own edification and amusement.

BYTE, the compo has brought some awesome things to my attention.

Most trance music naturally adheres to danoise’s 1-channel feeder format.

So, one could just pre-buffer a whole track into delay lines and then record Ctrl-clicks on -inf dB gainers in the mixer view to “compose” the track.

The “skill” from here is minimising that initial delay by astute use of the feeder. How very distilled is THAT :)

Wow, didn’t discover your track until now, this challenge just keeps on rockin :slight_smile:

Excellent use of NNA’s in there. And whats up with that bicycle ride?

Well I don’t have any new ideas atm… I will think up one soon though…

But in the meantime, here’s a monophonic track I did way back for a CTG Music compo entitled the “one instrument compo” … same general idea as this… except melodic based:
http://codeitude.com/robosecks/BYTE-Smashe…0Psychopath.mp3

Bump for more challenges!

Haha… I forgot all about this … yah I probably should do another one… work has just been infringing on my personal time lately, so I’ve lost all sight of fun.

How about a single note column playing a 135BPM and 8LPB 16x kickdrum.

I’m definitely going to participate if I can find the time. It’s a shame that my laptop just kicked the bucket. I’ll have to see what I can whip together with 400MHz of raw iMac processing power.

Haha… the challenge is a year and a half old, but feel free :P

In the meantime, I’ll have to keep thinking of new ideas.

Oh damn. Didn’t look at the date.

These forums don’t seem to move very fast. Then again, there’s really only one other forum I frequent. (IDMForums)

Well Danoise bumped the thread 'cause he wants another challenge :P

Yup. That’s the real challenge - coming up with new challenges.

But …

The challenges must never stop! :panic:

some on-the-fly suggestions for new challenges:

KICK OR FART

• make the best possible tune with only 1 sample allowed, and it has to be one of the following:
  1. a 909 kick
  2. a fart sound, hopefully recorded by Bytesmasher :blink:
    (no, seriously)

… no sample editing/drawing or vst/vsti allowed - but everthing else.

SAY CHEESE

• make the most embarassing, most cheesy tune possible. everything allowed. the worst wins.

new or modified rules and thoughts are welcome.

There are entire genres formed around this idea. Check out Gabber, Schranz, and most of the *core genres.

Been done… Check out Otto Von Schirach

Have you checked the song forum lately? :P

ducks rotten tomatoes being thrown at him

hehehe… ok

but still, even if it’s done before, it hasn’t been done here, right?
i think it could be very intereseting. and challenging.
of course, KICK and FART can be replaced by Coconut and Cough, for all i care. you understand what i mean :)

A new challenge has been posted.