Renoise Cheat Sheet

Thanks, rhowaldt! Bookmarked!

small one, but added a link to loopproject. check it here on the links-page: http://www.roaldblijleven.net/renoise/cheatsheet/links.php

Your site is now bookmarked rouwauldgh! thanks for sharing

Sweet. This is awesome. Thanks. :D

@all: thanks for the thank-you’s.

just updated it because i forgot KURTZ’s BPM Sync Instrument Envelopes thingy. http://www.roaldblijleven.net/renoise/cheatsheet/tipstricks.php

You should add this too.

i am now violently smashing my head into the tabletop trying to figure out where my mind was when i forgot to add that. damn. thanks. will get right to it.

edit: done.

:yeah:

was looking for a reggae tutorial tonight, remembered using a really good one before but sadly i could not find that again. then i stumbled across one i did not know and which is equally good. so, to not forget it again, i added the link to the cheatsheet, in the ‘Links’ tab and added its own category ‘Styles’. check it out here: http://www.roaldblijleven.net/renoise/cheatsheet/links.php

edit: if anyone has any other good tutorials for beats/rhythms/melodies in any kind of style (except trance, please, the cheatsheet is still personal enough for me to steer away from a type of music i cannot stand), feel free to suggest it here and i will add it if i agree on the quality/usefulness of it.

Only just dived into this for the first time, nice effort here rhowaldt! However, one suggestion: I’m finding the near white on the really dark background a bit hard on my old eyes. Is it easy for you to soften that contrast for old codgers like me? :P Otherwise well done, feel free to link in there the other In:Depth articles I’ve done just in case you haven’t yet. Sheesh, I’ve still got to make time to write more of those… :)

thanks man, good to hear even someone i regard as ‘loads more experienced than me’ still has use for my cheatsheet.

the colors are literally white on black (#fff on #000). i will look into it. i noticed that (at least in FF4) the top navbar line is shifted so i’ll have to check out the GUI again anyway. maybe do a bit of an update. my goal was to make it look like the Renoise (default) interface, but that turned out to be too much effort at the time so i settled for pure white on black. i bet if the background were a bit more grayish (lighter) it would be easier on the eyes, right?

i need to check out those In:Depth articles again, as i don’t remember each one, and might find some use for adding it to the cheatsheet.

as i may have said before, the cheatsheet is simply a collection of links and forum-posts and stuff that are nice to have in 1 organized place, so you don’t have to whip out Google or the Forum Search to find that cool native synth or that tip on phaser-techniques. got a PM from esaruoho asking if he could use some of it for something (still waiting for the explanation), asking if that was ok. for anyone reading this: that is perfectly ok, for the simple reason stated above, it is not my work, it is simply a collection. all i ask is some credit somewhere somehow, be it in a script comment or a forum post or a mention on your blog or whatever.

(everytime i smoke weed i have a tendency to talk too much. i am shutting myself up now, back to my first electronic-reggae-attempt)

ok, per the request from MMD above i have changed the GUI a bit. should be a lot easier on the eyes now, i think. i’ve traced some images to get them as transparent background .png, and they look pretty good if i say so myself. the pattern effects was a bit of a problem so i left that as it is for now. it does have the dashed border like the other images to make it stand out more, or something. and, i made the default view the effects + midi, instead of just the non-midi effects.

let me know what you think. (you might have to do a Ctrl+F5 (reload from server) to see the changes).

edit: went back in and changed some more, including the pattern effects image which i redrew completely. also removed some little mistakes from there, and improved the readability a bit. made the XML for the DSP Devices easier to select. gave the links and tips/tricks sections some columns and some changes in fonts etc. to optimize readability and give it a cleaner look.
re-read some of MMD’s In:Depth articles that i hadn’t linked to yet, and placed them in the links and tips/tricks section (thanks again, MMD!).

Awesome. ++

added my own Renoise Top-Right (instrument list) Customization thread to the cheatsheet tips&tricks list. because it’s awesome.

forgot to add this one a long time ago: the MASSIVE (not the software, but massive as in, huge) adventure kid waveform collection, for all your single-cycle needs. seriously, i rarely use anything else. http://www.roaldblijleven.net/renoise/cheatsheet/links.php

I’ve got a request to add to your cheat sheet.

Equation needed to tune a single cycle waveform to A-4

Afraid I’m too tired for my brain to work today so was hoping it’s on there and thus can’t instantly provide it for adding ;)

Or is it not even possible with basic calculations and trial and error against a tuned (eg vst) source a better idea?

well, i have no idea myself how i’d got about doing such a thing. i suck at mathematics so even the word ‘equation’ is scary to me. if you would want me to put something like that up on the Cheatsheet you’d have to provide me with the details yourself i’m afraid.

well sample rate divided by length of sample gives frequency at base note.

Then once I’ve done that I go to this Wiki page and see what note it closest

But no idea how to then work out what amount of fine tune I would need!

damn that sounds like tedious work. there’s gotta be a simpler way, right?

I always wonder: should I adjust the basenote in the Sample Keyzones, or should I use Transpose in the Instrument Settings?