Renoise is brilliant!

Over the years I’ve tried so many different digital audio workstations and for my experience is that what I like the most is Renoise and Reaper. They work together so well. Renoise and Reaper are best digital audio workstations (my opinion) to make music and noise. :revolving_hearts:

9 Likes

Heck yeah it is - I use the same combo. I compose in Renoise, and master in Reaper.

3 Likes

Indeed… I use Cakewalk for mastering when I don’t have enough CPU to do it inside Renoise…

… makes me think Renoise could have a seperate mastering window where you can treat a rendered WAV so that we don’t have to use a separate app for mastering.

4 Likes

Hm, I always master in Renoise, it doesn’t take much CPU. But if somebody knows how I do it, then it’s you. My mastering happens BEFORE rendering the song. And there are still no reference songs.

So you dropped iZotope Ozone?

If there would be the possibility of loading a reference song into Renoise so that you can check your song and the reference in parallel and compare and adjust it by watching the spectrum I probably would use it here and there, yes.

Yup, numero uno. :wink:

1 Like

I think Renoise is good for mastering also…but I used to mastering in old school ways…after mixing a song I render that mix to one track in wav format, then I take that one wav file and start to mastering. Using Renoise I mastering the song like TNT.

I think Presonus Studio One 5 has that separate window for only mastering. I do it in Reaper.

And Reaper and Renoise are also available in Linux if you are linux user. Cool!!

3 Likes

When my i5-9600k CPU can handle both song and mastering chain then I certainly also master in Renoise, problem is most my songs max out the CPU forcing me to make a render and use a separate application for the mastering. I still use Ozone.

1 Like

And it’s a wonderful tool. I use the Standard version, and the tools in it. If one actually spends the time using each separate module and working on the sound, it’s no different than using a bunch of other plugins to achieve the same result. It’s a great plugin! I won’t use the AI or the presets. It’s fun to sculpt sound with it by oneself.

No, its not! It’s ok, but far away from brilliant!

You’re not talking about Renoise, are you? :upside_down_face:

I wonder what you’re doing that your CPU can’t handle both. Is your mastering chain that different than mine?
My chain: Mixer EQ; Monoizer, Clipper and Maximizer.
Or is Spire, Ozone and else that big in terms of CPU usage?

Here you go…

1 Like

I layer sounds and make group processing on top of a heavy mastering chain.
I should probably slim down as it’s not really noticeable.

Mine usually have multiband saturation, EQ, Clipper and then all the Ozone stuff. It use 20% of my CPU.

iZotope Ozone 9 has something for that.

1 Like

Do you have any objective arguments to substantiate your claim? Or anything that actually is interesting for the reader? I don’t think the Renoise team needs such black/white views. In fact, nobody needs this. Also content and context are kings these days. Please stop filling the world with even more zero-content- derailed-pathless-texts.

Do you mean that the Renoise team is brilliant? Nice that you want to give them some hugs then… I would agree, too. But I ask here, because this actually sounds more like the usual “Renoise is brilliant because I use it” logic, very often seen here, and honestly I am getting nausea from that.

It would be much more productive, if you would actually use your brains and give some proper described problem descriptions and an honest review written in a friendly manner, full sentences, using punction, not written like a 5 year old child :kissing_heart: The team is now developing, as you might realized, it is a good moment for that. Do you have something to contribute or not?

1 Like

Hope you get a better sleep tonight :grin: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Renoise indeed is brilliant and so glad to see it being still in developement. Although nowadays I probably use Redux more than Renoise, inside Reaper. It works nicely as a sampler alongside Kontakt, which I mostly use to play back other libraries and Redux to create my own. Renoise/Redux sample editor is just so good and fast to use.

I started out with Reason in 2003 or so and still using it, but nowadays using Reaper more and more as the sequencer side in Reason is seriously lacking. Good thing Reason works as a plugin now so can be used inside Reaper. Also not a fan of the business model of Reason Studios with their subscription c**p and such.

Reaper is so fully featured and works well not only for composing but also for creating sound effects for games, scoring trailers etc. Reaper doesn’t have destructive sample editing but Redux or Audacity can handle those tasks when needed. And for some quick sample mangling when not having a midi keyboard around, Renoise still is the king. I love Sunvox too, which is becoming more and more powerful with each update and its limitations can be inspiring.

3 Likes

Thanks for the hint, but the latest update is from 2017 and will work in Renoise 3.1, but thanks to Garf I’m using Renoise 3.3 now (surprisingly Renoise 3.2 can’t open songs which were created in Renoise 3.3).
So the question is: Will this work properly in Renoise 3.3, too?

Thanks, I know that. Years ago I was thinking about getting Ozone, but I haven’t got it yet because it’s a) expensive for what you’re getting in return and b) you will have to render your song first if you want to use it in Ozone for the mastering (Or can it be used as a plugin in your master channel?). I know that probably the majority is doing it that way, but I can’t imagine how this method can be better than a master before the render. But of course I’m up for getting enlightened. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s damn right! :laughing:
Personally I use Renoise because it’s brilliant. According to the logic of those who are denying that Renoise is brilliant, there can’t be even one single DAW which is brilliant, because every single DAW has its cons and there’s always room for improvement, right? The truth is that there’s no perfect DAW. Having that in mind there’s only one conclusion: Renoise is brilliant because it’s by far the best tracker around. Furthermore it’s expandable by tools and VST usage. And of course it’s brilliant because you can create music without being forced to use a shitty piano roll. Yeah!

1 Like

Just re-tested here.

That version (1.36) should auto-upgrade fine to 3.3 when installed. The new APIs often add rather than remove/ change stuff, so a lot of older versions will upgrade without problems.

There is a beta 1.39 later in the thread which ran into a renoise API bug which I’m not sure got fixed, so if interested, probably best to stick with 1.36.

1 Like

You can use Ozone as a regular VST/AU or as a standalone. If you want to place it at the end of your mastering chain in Renoise, that’s definitely one way to do it. I use it separately in Reaper, because I have a few other plugins I use as well, and it is less CPU strain to work on a finished .WAV file. But you can use it as a plugin. I like to A/B my work in separate applications, because the way I mix it in Renoise would just cause me to fiddle around more :slight_smile:

I’ll also mention again - it’s got it’s own separate effects built in, and they are each very strong in their own way. It’s the last plugin in the chain. Using the tools it’s got built in will get some great results. It’s definitely better for subtle changes, and for those that try to be extreme with it, the results are usually awful. I use it to boost volume, subtle EQ, and exciter/stereo imaging. That being said, you can also get some excellent results using Renoise’s built-in effects in the same way, and I highly recommend using them as well. For me, it depends on the type of music I’m making.

2 Likes