Renoise Natives Compo - Round I #BREAKBEATZ *closed*

Congratz Zero! :clownstep:

heyy …is it cool to use this site to download samples for the competition !!!

i mean …all of the samples are free to download ???

https://www.looperman.com/

Goa Trance / Psy Trance

Haha, wow, yes unexpected but also totally fitting somehow.

I might have to ask my GF for guidance - she’s been to more of these parties than I have happy.png

heyy …is it cool to use this site to download samples for the competition !!!

This page should answer those questions:

https://www.looperman.com/help/terms

Basically, the site itself doesn’t take responsibility for what users are posting/uploading.

But if you trust the users of looperman, sure thing :smiley:

Goa Trance / Psy Trance

Goa Gil
Infected Mushroom
Astrix

I have been to Goa parties and our night clubs here used to play Psy early on the morning around 4-6 am right before the club closed for the day…I was an avid fan of trance and hard trance for much of my childhood years before I went all mental into music history and theory :slight_smile:

Goa Gil
Infected Mushroom
Astrix

and Juno Reactor !!!

I am very excited to participate in the competition, even though I’ve only had renoise for a week or so and haven’t listened to anything even mildly trance since about '99.

Quick question, and apologies if this has been covered already: can I sample from some of my hardware synths?

If hardware synth audio samples are sampled in Renoise it’s part of the instrument building workflow so it’s totally valid. Just no external plugins because those will be rendered rather than sampled even if the distinction is blurred at this point. Using plugins overly simplifies the production and hence it’s not recommended. Hardware synths are both an investment and thing of pride. I can sample a drum fill pattern that I program in DR 880 because it hardware to an audio file and slice it from there. Much of hip hop production works the same way.

But rules can change out here so be updated…

I guess “renoise native” means that you should be able to provide .xrns that can be played back/rendered without any vst plugins. So using samples and the inbuilt effects. Yeah, so go happy - render your hardware synths to get samples, render or sample your VSTs, send and sample impulses through your reverb VSTs go get IRs for the native convolver, …

@danoise funny with your gf, I got the suggestion for goa genre from mine - she thought she has heard too little from those sounds during the last years, and there is lots of potential in the genre. And I thought it can be plain and simple like the old school stuff, or very shiny produced like modern progressive stuff…based from simple sounds that you can generate from filtered renoise sample single cycle waves… I remember little raves in the 90s somewhere in the woods with generator and improvised decorations…

In my younger days i avoided anything that had something to do with trance, so i have really no idea what classifies as trance. Most i’ve heard is complete horseshit, but i think that has been a different type of trance i remember from some collection cd’s in the 90’s.
Don’t expect much from me, but i guess i’ll give it a go.

In my younger days i avoided anything that had something to do with trance, so i have really no idea what classifies as trance. Most i’ve heard is complete horseshit, but i think that has been a different type of trance i remember from some collection cd’s in the 90’s.
Don’t expect much from me, but i guess i’ll give it a go.

Brother, please try ‘Space Frog’ and his seminal album ‘Welcome All Species’ which is to me one of the most groundbreaking and superbly produced hard trance album ever, made right in your backyards in Berlin, Germany. I am yet to find another album that evokes the same emotions and sci fi feeling. Do give it a solid one listen and tell me you don’t like THAT!!

Also give a listen to the less know goa/psy artists…two names that I pop up with now are “Logic Bomb” and “X-Dream”

I had a listen to Space Frog and i honestly have to say that is not my cup of tea.
Logic Bomb sounds better though, i like the sound, kinda sounds a bit more techno’ish to me. I still find it to be full of cliche’s that i recognise from when people has tried to convince me to like trance. Not too fond of those i’m afraid.

I kinda like this track i stumbled upon:

Ya well I can’t blame you tried :0 but in all honesty you should explore even more and maybe find what works for you…even on genres which don’t attract you initially.

Ya well I can’t blame you tried :0 but in all honesty you should explore even more and maybe find what works for you…even on genres which don’t attract you initially.

I’m 38 and not a 13 year old discovering new music. I listen to almost all types of music, i assume there are exeptions in any genre. Please stop implying that just because i don’t like this specific type of music that i’m not open to new stuff, that’s just bs.
Also, i posted a track that i liked amongst the ones i checked out, so why are you the telling me to “find what works for you”. What did i just do?

Ya cool man, was not implying anything, most folks are kinda older ones out here which is not a problem for me, I love the grey haired crowd a lot, am one already mentally speaking…my casual remark was just that, a casual remark. For instance I never dug the pop trance thing, but Chicane still sounds great for his melodic invention and signature major 9th pad washes, his down tempo stuff like ‘No Ordinary Morning’ and ‘Saltwater’ remixes are totally awesome, the Irish vocals mixed into a grooving bassline is soo trippy, those were the late 90s. You would never imagine that I love Aqua inspite of my now developed tastes…just exploring bro, nothing attitude related.

The fact that you like Aqua tells me that we’re not on the same page. :smiley:

Different books can have the same page number, if they start at 1 that is…

The fellas at Aqua are older than you, and have chart topping songwriting skills, becos they write their own songs, like ‘turn back time’ which is really good btw. They are from Holland and Denmark. The lead singer Norene used to be a cruise ship singer. They also play their own instruments. ‘We belong to the sea’ and ‘Be a man’ are other great examples. I still like their 'Didnt I ’ single with great synth lines and really catchy hook. After so many years I still know all their songs…names too, shows that I truly listen to everything.

Around the same time as Aqua circa 1997 there were many other albums I used to deconstruct, Yanni’s performance at that Taj Mahal India was ground breaking and it really got me into studying keyboards right after school everyday.

Robert Miles came out with 23AM which is just mind blowing with the album evolving into multi genre excursions and superb ambiences, got me into ambient music.

Dr Alban was big at that time with his Dancehall Hits ‘Let the beat go on’ and ‘Freedom’ which have outstanding arrangements btw. Everyone loves Ace of Base too so it was playing around anyways…

Savage Garden with his Truly Madly Deeply playing every other hour on MTV, ‘Universe’ is another great smooth song. These guys now disbanded and turns out Darren the lead vocalist was gay, no wonder he had such smooth voice and great looks.:slight_smile:

And many many more if you wanna include Bollywood classics, Pakistani Qawalli, Gregorian chants, Indian classical, Carnatic music, Polynesian gamelan orchestras, music from my own tribes in the northeast part of India and so on.

I got into Hip Hop really late around 2007. Much was House music actually for the past 16 years or so. Audiogalaxy was around that time towards the millenium and I discovered artists like

Karnataka
Emma Shaplin
Catherine Bott
Dj Spooky
Miguel Migs
Kerry Chandler
StoneAge
Schiller
Axelle Red
Mylene Farmer
M
FFF
Pascal Obispo
Youssou N Dour
Monkey Business
Benjamin Diamond
Bob Sinclair(older works)

The one and only time that still gives me the rush is ‘Revolution 909’ and being a Francophile it’s unapologetically French and House at the same time. Those kicks and bass made house music my alma mater. The only other thing that started early and still stuck is my luv for Jazz…

Days before YouTube or Google search and Twitter or Instagram or Bittorrent…

Just to add some flavour I thought since you said you were not 13 years old, this came to mind immediately…(hee heee…)

(‘you treat me like a baby, but I am not a baby’)

You talk so much bullshit that i’m not going to read through it. Aqua is a Norwegian/Danish band and their lead singer is Lene Nystrøm, which was previously married to their male singer Rene Dif.

When lecturing others on music history it might be an idea to check the facts first.

Yea right so a typo…all out of memory…not copy paste like you…
Aqua does not constitute ‘formal music history’ but rather pop culture…the lecture was to you, not ‘a lecture on Danish pop music and Aqua’. By that measure I suppose you would say that ‘Grown ass man Peele looks older than 13’.

So your bullshit stands corrected not mine…cos I ain’t even serious about it…

About the fact that Aqua IS older than you, I suppose I got the essential point of this argument absolutely straight.

Vengaboys from Holland around same time…easy to mix up…Holland’s biggest export btw…same as Alice Deejay.