Renoise Should Sell the Business

Yes! Really interesting and totally unique sounds can be forged in renoise. Often because of, and not in spite of, its limitations. That said, I still want some more native dsp :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Renoise is just the wrong tool to use in your examples, you’d be better off with a more traditional DAW. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Renoise for doing something that it isn’t really designed to do. You can hammer a nail into a board with the butt end of a screwdriver, but why not just use a hammer?

Having said that, I’ve used Renoise for all of my vocal-based music and its always worked fine. Just plop a “C4” note for each instrument and vocal track onto the first pattern, duplicate a bunch of blank patterns, set the LPB to 1 and the pattern length to 512, and press play. You’ll have to listen to the whole song every time you want to hear a section over again, or you could just render the song as a sample and jump around using slices to check on specific sections. It’s a dumb and slow process but that’s on me, not Renoise.

3 Likes

Dude, i use Trackers since my Amiga 500 Times. First Noisetracker and later Protracker v2, Protracker V3 and Oktalyzer. And i have expectations!!!

LPB to 1? And what BPM should my song have then? 512?!? Sounds very realistic man!

And thats why Renoise need some improvements on this.

1 Like

Have you tried the Autoseek feature found within the Sampler? (Since Renoise 2.6 or so…)

It’s designed to help with this type of workflow involving long audio tracks.

https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Sampler

(Scroll down through the Sample Properties a little bit…)

Essentially, you can trigger your long vocal sample (or whatever sound) once at the start of your song, then let Autoseek take care of the other boring/annoying crap to sync up the playback while editing the song and moving through different patterns…

2 Likes

@dblue The Problem is to sync the vocal file with a specific bpm to the new melodys bpm. The most voicetracks are longer than the max. 512 line pattern so that syncing fails by design. You could craft by hand and manipulate the voicetrack bpm and the song bpm to ridicolous values so thats the entire 3-4 minutes voicetrack fits into the 512 line pattern raster, but this is try and error crap. The other way is to cut the entire voicetrack in many many little slices, to sync it to patternlines over the stretch function. but this is crap too. In my actual Project for instance have a 3.47 min 128 bpm Voicetrack and a 64 lines Patternlenght on 92 bpm. And this turns into some ridicolous slice action.

What sould autoseek do? Some magically sync the voiceline words by KI on the right Melody Notes? And What is change with Autoseek? Play Samples longer than a Pattern works without it too!?

happy tracking :slight_smile:

Definitely try autoseek if you’re not already using it! It’s the way to use long samples in renoise. Syncing 128 bpm to 92 bpm is gonna be dicey no matter what… Something’s gotta give. Autoseek works across patterns, no need to try and make one pattern a whole song!

Autoseek syncroning to patterns not to notes!!!

Yeah but if you match your tempos, it should all line up. Or maybe I’m not understanding the issue :upside_down_face:
Lots of ppl use vocals and long samples in renoise with minimal issues…

1 Like

Renoise will be never sold or switched to open source, simply because of licensing issues. Not worth the effort. But I agree that this kind radio silence is annoying and it would be great if there were one or two additional developers involved. Getting familiar with such a complex project though takes a lot of time and again produces effort… I guess the devs also have another job and a life.

There still is quite a bunch of “standard” stuff missing which would make the work way more easy. And then a lot of stuff could be improved. Certainly Renoise is not perfect at all. But it is not a piano roll and I am thankful that it exists!

1 Like

Ring ring.

Store: Good morning welcome to the electronics store.

NPC1: I’d like to speak to the manager please, I have a complaint.

Store: this is the manager, I’m sorry to hear that, how can I help?

NPC1: I was in your store yesterday, I purchased a sandwich toaster and it doesn’t do what I want.

Store: oh no, is it broken?

NPC1: it doesn’t make soup.

Store: sir, you bought a sandwich toaster…?

NPC1: yes, but I like to dip a toasted cheese sandwich into my tomato soup and I think that it should be able to make my soup at the same time.

Store: we don’t sell anything like that, also I don’t think that exists, or would make sense. Have you considered…

NPC1: how dare you suggest I am not using the right appliance for my needs. People like you are the enemy of progress!

Store: sir, I am just trying to manage your expectations.

NPC1: also, I’ve read the manual and it doesn’t even support piano roll!

Store: is that a type of sandwich?

NPC1: anguished screeching

: line disconnects :

4 Likes

I think the easiest way is to put your rendered instrumental into a bigger daw, do the vocal stuff there and then render it for renoise… daws like ableton or s1 offer a ton of editing and correction tools for vocals.

1 Like

A sandwich toaster doesn’t come with this:

[> You will receive free updates for 1 full version number. For example, when you register Renoise 2.6, you can download all versions up to and including Renoise 3.6.

You may upgrade your account at any time to increase the maximum version number you can download. Upgrading an existing account is cheaper than buying a new account.](How long do I get free updates? | Renoise)

It doesn’t come with this either:

Liquid Motivation

What’s your point? I’m not sure iterative updates cover, or should lead to the expectation of, complete paradigm shifts? Also, you should never buy anything on the hope it might be something else at some point - then complain it isn’t what it didn’t advertise itself as, or ever suggest was on the horizon.

Wait, do people actually drink IRN-BRU? I thought it was a joke.

Ah, it’s not quite liquid inspiration, but it’s a great beverage in my opinion.

Cheapest Ad hominem, but thanks!

My post highlighted the absurdity of buying a thing for what it is, then complaining it isn’t something else. You knew it couldn’t do what you wanted when buying it and what you want had never been promised, yet between this in line waveforms and piano rolls requests - you appear to be astounded neither have happened yet. When anybody suggests software that does what you want, you refuse to engage with their comments.

At no stage did I attack you, just your poor reasoning, so accusing me of an ad hominem rather than address any of these points to close down the critique is very transparent.

1 Like

If you started composing with trackers on Amiga I can certainly not understand your expectations. Again, I think you’re simply using the wrong DAW and you should think about your expectations regarding Renoise. Literally everything you’re posting in this forum is about how bad Renoise is, how bad you need a piano roll, how unhappy you are in terms of the update cycle and that the developers “should go to hell” (that’s literally what you said). Is that all you can say about Renoise or is there also anything you like? Why are you using Renoise? I don’t get it. It’s pretty obvious that you should switch to another DAW according to your needs.

1 Like

Can we please retire this thread? I’m tired of seeing “Renoise should sell the business” in my RSS reader every morning. If you’re that unhappy with it, there’s a world of other DAWs for you to try out.