Renoise UI is sluggish everywhere after Catalina update

Here another post by Urs (maybe outdated since they seem to have sorted out these kind of problems): https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7966642#p7966642

This might be an interesting read, too: Developing a fast and responsive GUI - is JUCE too bloated? - Page 2 - DSP and Plug-in Development Forum - KVR Audio

Interestingly, I recently bought a Mac Book Air M1 (Big Sur) and there are no graphics issues on this system when running Renoise, whereas on my iMac (Catalina) I still have to switch to RGB color mode every time I load Renoise, otherwise everything is sluggish as previously described.

So, at least on these latest macs, it appears to be a non-issue.

Nice. Is it also different, if you update your iMac to Bug Sur then? I wonder if Rosetta2 is fixing it, or the system itselfā€¦

I updated my iMac Pro (2017) to Big Sur and I still have to change color profiles, unfortunately. I did not do a complete reinstall, though.

I hope this gets addressed for real.
Itā€™s incredibly annoying have to open my OS settings and change the color profile every time I want to use Renoise, then change it back afterward.

As stated previously on my new Macbook Air M1, this isnā€™t necessary (for whatever reason). But I do most of my music making on my iMac / Catalina.

Agreed, itā€™s very annoying. I made a little script that changes the color profile with the MacOS utility ā€˜Alfredā€™ but even that only saves a bit of time and the color profile that works is noticeably harder on the eyes (for me, at least)

Question for you Michael ā€“ can you confirm the UI issues still are not an issue on your newer M1 laptop?

1 Like

Correct, on my Mac Book Air M1 the issue does not exist, and I do not have to do any color profile switching. Itā€™s only on my older iMac / Catalina that I encounter the issue.

1 Like

Iā€™m running into the same issue on one of the new M1 Macbook Pros, I have to switch to a display preset that uses the Rec 709 color gamut rather than P3 for the UI to be performant. I hope this gets fixed asap as using a non-default mode now seems to break other display features like night shift and the ability to change brightness at all.

The master volume meter also goes ā€œbehindā€ the bezel in full screen mode, Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s a way to force the full screen view to not take up the full screen height.

1 Like

If you Get Info on an app, thereā€™s an option to ā€œScale to fit below built-in cameraā€ as a compatibility workaround. The whole screen will shrink just enough to fit below the notch.

Rejoice everybody, the new 3.4 update fixes this issue ā€“ itā€™s no longer necessary to change your Display settings on mac every time you want to use Renoise !! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

I recently re-installed renoise on a 2018 macbook pro running 10.15 catalina, and experienced a gui lag of >1 second. Literally unusable. Changing colour profiles didnā€™t help, but turning off metal rendering did. I donā€™t know if this works better in newer macos versions?