Renoise update?Whats going on?

Is there a list of requested features to be added, or what are people hoping will be added? I only got into Renoise less than a year ago, so lucky for me I haven’t been through the whole waiting for new updates experience yet, been busy learning what’s already there. Be great to get more stuff in the future though. Personally I’d like automatable loop points, and an option to follow the players position in the phrase editor cause that the one thing that really fucking annoys me.

Speaking of learning: When you know every nook and cranny of Renoise 3.1 (and Redux),don’t forget to spend some timelearningother cool things related to audio production as well. I’m currently having lots of fun with Bitwig 2.0 and I’m also getting more and more interested inDSP theory whilereading this fascinating book entitled “Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++ With Digital Audio Signal Processing Theory” ( https://www.routledge.com/Designing-Audio-Effect-Plug-Ins-in-C-With-Digital-Audio-Signal-Processing/Pirkle/p/book/9780240825151)

EDIT: Am I the only Renoise/Redux user getting excited in advance about taktik’s new secret project? Really looking forward to find out more about it!

:drummer:

Speaking of learning: When you know every nook and cranny of Renoise 3.1 (and Redux),don’t forget to spend some timelearningother cool things related to audio production as well. I’m currently having lots of fun with Bitwig 2.0 and I’m also getting more and more interested inDSP theory whilereading this fascinating book entitled “Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++ With Digital Audio Signal Processing Theory” ( https://www.routledge.com/Designing-Audio-Effect-Plug-Ins-in-C-With-Digital-Audio-Signal-Processing/Pirkle/p/book/9780240825151)

EDIT: Am I the only Renoise/Redux user getting excited in advance about taktik’s new secret project? Really looking forward to find out more about it!

:drummer:

I’m looking forward to finding out what the secret project is - hopefully something audio related. Also, don’t really care about the frequency of updates, people should just chill. I’d still use ft2 if it wasn’t such a bitch to set up on modern OS/hardware and it hasn’t had an update in 20 years. As long as Renoise isn’t dead and we get the odd cool toy to play with and maintenance update it’s fine.

It is audio related, that much has been confirmed. Now, speaking of frequency of updates:it’s true that Renoise as a functional productcould be saidto be “finished”, just like a working analoghardware synth is “finished” and just needs some maintainance (i.e.fixing/replacingbroken voice chips, etc).As long asRenoise is running compatiblewith modern computer setups it’s probably good for 10+ more years in the current version.And probably taktik will implementhigh-resolution vector based GUI for 4K and abovefor the next major Renoise release in the future (as he said himself, such work was already started).

EDIT: Comments about potential licenseoptions in regard to the source code deleted.

Disliked!

Disliked!

Haha! :lol:

The thing is that I don’t want to go too much off-topic here. Those important things I wrote and deleted deserve a thread of its own.

No! Not another thread. Maybe at least wait some weeks with that, as to spread the load more evenly.

I still like updates though…

You know, I’m getting really pissed waiting for that thread.

Makes "Where is renoise update complaint thread? thread

If you need extra features, use another package.

Out of interest…how long can you leave bread in the freezer before its inedible?

Makes "Where is renoise update complaint thread? thread

i think development of that thread is delayed because complaint devs is writting complaints in other forums, thats it, im selling my forum account license

The thing with the bread and the freezer depends on…that cable with the plug on it, you know the one usually hidden behind the freezer…is it plugged into a power outlet? And not cut somewhere between the freezer and the plug, some people do it because the cable is too short to reach the outlet, but I believe it is a mistake.

This power thing, it makes hell lot of difference if used correctly. Hiding yourself inside the freezer becomes difficult then, though. You will starve - the bread next to you will frozen hard, you cannot bite bits of it anymore…

How did you know bread was code for “people”?

back to jeskola buzz.

i give up renoise it is dead by devs, no important updates no nothing

one patch by year is terrible for a priced software

jekola updated Buzz is awesome, sounds so much better then renoise engine. absolutely powerfull

Do whatever works. If Renoise isn’t working for you anymore, it makes perfectly sensetogo forsomething else that does. Life is short.

But what was it about Renoise that worked in the first place? What has changed in that regard?

It’s a tool, not a lifestyle. Granted, Renoise is a much more polished tool today than it was10 years ago. But it’s still a tool.

As a Renoise user since 2002, what has really changed for me today is more thefeeling that there is a comingglorious future forRenoise – as a business project. Back in those days, I constantlysaw all these bright guys being attracted to the Renoise project – but mostly based on idealism.

Maybe that idealism explains whythe communityused to beso awesome. Another thing is thatmany of us were still comparably young adults with few obligations to anybody, maybe that explains whythere were so few pretenders and so many doers, and probably also explains why the Renoise team seemed more interested togo foran open vision and an opencommunication with the users.My overall gut feeling back in the days was that Renoise wouldexpand as a DAWwith tracker capabilities,rather thanexpand as a tracker with DAW capabilities. And in that process grab maybe 5% or even 10%of the 2017 world DAW market share following thehistoryof that decision.

Today it seemsmost ofthese guys are gone.Even the developers who used to be involved in the Renoise project seem to have little, if anything, to do with Renoise anymorethese days. I knowfor sure a bigpart of that storyis aboutall these guyshaving careers and jobs and families and limited time and limited energy and their own projects. But Iwas naive enough to think, back in those days, that a larger portion of those jobs and projects would be related to the Renoise project somehow.

However,since Renoise today in 2017 is mostly a one man hobby project, it’s simply unrealistic (and even foolish)to expect that one man to spend the rest of his life maintaininga beast ofC++ code for aniche product where the majority of users seem to come (and go) based on whims.Especially soif those users are outlooking for a tracker, because the tracker race is already over, it’s legacy and history by now.The tracker users are slowly dying out and in 10-20 years some of us who were influenced by trackers since 1989 will havegrandchildren.

As thewise men say: Use Renoise for what it is,not for what it could be.

But… So nothing more to say? Coding renoise should be fun, but does not seem to be like this. No more love.

Fsus4: I don’t think anybody expects Taktik to spend his whole lifetime on renoise - a bit of black/white - but yes, I would expect him to spend a little of his lifetime on his child. It needs attention. Or organize it in a way, so that other people can do.

Hotelsinus : is it a joke or is buzz development really continued? A pity it’s windows only.

As thewise men say: Use Renoise for what it is,not for what it could be.

Yes,Taktik is a genius, but that phrase is contradictory. You can not use something that does not exist, and if this means that your customers can not be excited about their software, well look that good…

And as a genius that is will come back to improve Renoise, and we will continue to use this software, improved! But some of you are bent on casting more dirt, as if you wanted to see him dead. We all know that Taktik is doing another project. When it finishes it will return, it will launch a version with correction of errors (many of them are already solved!) and soon it will take time for another version with more improvements of weight.But I do not like that defeatist attitude of Taktik, because it ends up disappointing his clients. Just read these forums from time to time. It is depressing!

Just be patient and trust the project. In a few months you will all be applauding with the news that will come.And I do not see any code problem. There may be problems of time, or money, lack of programmers or a larger team, but not of code.

I remind you all of you may Renoise be much more than it is now in version 3.1. Only lack that Taktik has the will to continue with its development.Do not give him any more turns!

If you need extra features, use another package.

You are a genius too!But perhaps people prefer to continue with Renoise, but with better characteristics. Simply that…

Renoise is great as is, and could be better as is not yet.

Waiting for v3.2!!

1 Like

But… So nothing more to say? Coding renoise should be fun, but does not seem to be like this. No more love.

Love comes and goes, it is the law of life! :slight_smile:

1 Like