Renoise Vs Buzz

It was one of the few things i liked about Buzz, also the strange way of arranging your songs, took a while to get the hang, but the instability deprived my complete motivation, specially since the user-boards that went about Buzz were full of bug-complaints. You read that right: not reports but complaints because various bugs seem to remain in buzz for ages and if it were not for Buzz, the plugin developer got ranted for his mistake or not fixing an incompatability problem due to a Buzz update.
That kind of attitude is not what i wished for in a community and i’m not really interested in trying Buzz again simply because i don’t want to have loads of captain obvious answers in return (not all unfriendly but being called a noob in a beginners forum is not really something that sounds inviting).

Thanks everyone for your kind answers.

You don’ t have to
http://batman.no/buze/
stable enough

Buzztard for linux …fancy looking interface :dribble:
http://www.buzztard.org/index.php/Main_Page

This topic is ridiculous. I’m using Renoise since 2005, same with Buzz. I haven’t wrote a single complete track with Buzz. Why? I got pissed off by sequencer & pattern editor. But it was in the past, now the new Buzz is being developed and it is … very promising. There are differencies between these two programs, of course but please notice that Buzz were abandonn for at least 10 years.
New Buzz 2008 has:

• New, flexible pattern editor (it’s based on peer technology which means it can be connected with ANY machine and can control ANY parameter of it, more over, it is great for programming multiple machines at one time in one pattern view. And after that, patterns prepared in that way can be set in sequencer)
  • Audiotracks (machine developed by BTD, it has ability to load, edit and sequence waves in pattern view then pattern can be set in sequencer where the waveshape is displayed)
  • Freeze (a freezer can be inserted into the dsp chain and it renders signal into wave which is kept in memory so cpu power is saved.)
  • Great VST/i support. Renoise is ok in this field but Polac’s loader is jsut awesome.

So why I’m still using renoise? Honestly I still can’t get used to the sequencer and pattern editor - Pattern XP is great but it lacks “play note” option which i’m strongly used to. But I think I’ll take a closer look to Buzz when I’ll have a preamp for my guitar.
Also the CPU load differ in Buzz and Renoise. RNS is way more heavier. I think it’s due to graphics but also the routing system I found inefficient. However, Renoise is still a way to go.

edit: I forgot to add that stability problems got solved - now if machine crashes it doesn’t hang Buzz. It is signed as “crashed” so you can fix it or delete. Same is with missing machines - if you don’t have one of machines used in song you want to load it is signed as “missed”. In old Buzz you had to have every machine used in song and if one of machines crashed the whole program or even a system were unstable or got freezed.

This has been done 4 days ago. You can see how rapid the development is :) Visit Jeskola.net and Buzzchurch.com for more info :)

wow i didnt know they were developing buzz again
its by far the best music software
it was only the constant crashes that made me turn to renoise
yay! ill have to try it out

I love having a buzz…

wait…

what?

I don’t feel a need for modular routing as often today but.

Just to repeat: Renoise do have modular routing, its just not as obvious.

Sendtracks.

You can route a sendtrack to one or more sendtrack etc.

Also There are stuff you can do in Renoise that buzz can’t.

You can’t change the routing in Buzz, but in Renoise you can automate the routing to and from different sendtracks.

I also think Renoise have a much better patternview. In Buzz you only see one instrument at a time?

In Renoise you see them play side by side.

But there are Pros and Cons with both.

I prefere Renoise since I think it has a better workflow for me, and have enough power to do anything.

Oh yeah, Reason has modular routing too! … it’s called Aux! Oh wait… Ableton has it too… damn, there is no non-modular software anymore!

Max/Msp for the modular win!

beatslicer in buzz :)

i like the idea, is there some (free?) VST equivalent of this? would be a killer for guitar riffs i guess…

This is a strictly buzz plugin, called Sikaloops, and it’s in development.
There is no VST version (and i doubt there will ever be), and it uses dotNetFX for graphics.

as for

oh, again misinformation.
there is a thing in buzz called PatchBay, and the kind of routing changes it can do on the fly is completely out of this earth.

i’m not here to advertise buzz because i think it needs none.
it’s a program which is slowly but steadily moving in a completely different direction from other softwares, and that’s going to be it’s strong competitive point, when it’s done.

It will unfortunately never support ReWire… (unless it turns commercial)

Buzz works as rewire master already. Tested with renoise too ;)

THat’s called flexibility …
Modular routing gives you the oppurtunity to send any output to any input ; audio or midi …

So much for ReWire is for commercial apps only idea ;)
Why is this still called Renoise Vs Buzz and not Renoise + Buzz?

It’s for closed programs, not open source. That’s why madtracker also support Rewire.

And why LMMS never will. Ah well…

Buzz is too quirky for my taste, but I do like the way you connect instruments, effects, etc.

I disagree, Renoise should add that feature ;) Stellar