Renoise vs Redux

no, In the rewire version inrenoise you have 64 stereo channels to send to.

0_0

Ok I just went and tested it out, not sure why I didn’t realize this before but omg whole new world opened up now.

I hope we also get to extract xrni instruments directly from an xrns without having to open it first, it’s a bit silly that it’s only possible to extract samples this way at the moment. :slight_smile:

Will Redux be able to play renoise/tracker files i.e. songs inside of the DAW?

Will Redux be able to play renoise/tracker files i.e. songs inside of the DAW?

why on earth would you do that? i think redux is made to able edit and play xrni instruments in other daws. it is not meant to be renoise as a vst, but renoise instruments player.

i reaaly hope redux will not support vst into it, or tools or other external stuff, but will be solid sampler whitch with time will show a big middle finger to kontakt :smiley:

why on earth would you do that? i think redux is made to able edit and play xrni instruments in other daws. it is not meant to be renoise as a vst, but renoise instruments player.

i reaaly hope redux will not support vst into it, or tools or other external stuff, but will be solid sampler whitch with time will show a big middle finger to kontakt :smiley:

Obviously you only want the sampler and not the phrase editor? How could it hurt you if Redux supports VST/AU - import for instance? I just got curious, since you expressed it like it was almost personal (“i really hope not”) etc.

That said, Redux being able to play whole .xrns songs may be a bit overblown as you have Renoise for that. I think I’m not alone though when I believe the ability to track in other DAWs with phrase editor, and not necessarily the sampler, being what people are waiting for in general. Sure, the combination is great but there are already samplers out there.

Obviously you only want the sampler and not the phrase editor? How could it hurt you if Redux supports VST/AU - import for instance? I just got curious, since you expressed it like it was almost personal (“i really hope not”) etc.

Well, phrases is a part of .xrni instrument, and for me is ultra useful for drumbreaks and some cool note effects.

i dont want any external vst support because i like solid clean approach,

if you made instrument once, it will allways work on any computer, no matter what age or OS it is, without - “shits not working because something vst is missing”

and why do even people want external vst/au support? for example you will use redux to load massive vst? isnt there more simple way to load your vst without loading it in another vst? :smiley:

keep it simple, keep it clean. thats the way to perfectionism IMO :drummer:

Well, phrases is a part of .xrni instrument, and for me is ultra useful for drumbreaks and some cool note effects.

if you made instrument once, it will allways work on any computer, no matter what age or OS it is, without - “shits not working because something vst is missing”

and why do even people want external vst/au support? for example you will use redux to load massive vst? isnt there more simple way to load your vst without loading it in another vst? :smiley:

Considering it’s not 1996 anymore and we have VM’s, backups, etc, I’m not worried. Redux will feature a lot that can’t be (as easily) done in many if not most DAW’s. Interface, modulation, DSP, routing, etc. It’s not just about loading plug-ins and I think on some level you’re aware of that.

Considering it’s not 1996 anymore and we have VM’s, backups, etc, I’m not worried. Redux will feature a lot that can’t be (as easily) done in many if not most DAW’s. Interface, modulation, DSP, routing, etc. It’s not just about loading plug-ins and I think on some level you’re aware of that.

No it certainly is not but loading vsts would just make it that much more special and differ even more from the crowd.

Let’s be real here - Are you just going to load instances upon instances of redux just to get a recursive loop? :stuck_out_tongue:

No it certainly is not but loading vsts would just make it that much more special and differ even more from the crowd.

Yeah. To clarify I meant it wouldn’t be nearly the same to drop (effect) plug-ins on either side of Redux as inserts in a DAW, as having embedded plug-in support. Also, since Redux doesn’t seem to have MIDI out for now, how would you interface it with plug-in instruments (wait for someone to ask why you’d want to!).There are useful alternatives… like passing Redux audio out into some other plug-in like Melodyne, Pitchmap, etc. Or if the phrase editor has MIDI drag & drop support… it’s not like plug-in support wouldn’t be VERY useful. But understandable if it wasn’t (or isn’t or won’t be) a focal point.

@Rashinamu that would be very interesting actually. Phraseption. It would tax the system, but most DAW’s have decent freezing/bouncing/rendering options by now.

if its no 1996 anymore, than i guess all daws should have 1 common thing - getting shit together. most daws projects have samples all across hdd, some factory content somwhere else, vst folder, x32 x64 bit incompabillity. thats all results in crashes and a lot of precious time lost. i mean half of the problems starts with vst caused crash. no wonder more and more people moving into hardware and saying computers are unreliable, its not computers fault that it has impossible to manage all files and configs at once.

so…

Redux is available for Windows, OSX and Linux, in VST and AudioUnit formats. Your license does not restrict you to any particular platform, and is fully portable.

Faith in computers being restored.

@lolfail: I’m sorry to hear your experience with computers has been this bad. Though more and more people saying computers are unreliable? Surely they can get a good book on how to use one :stuck_out_tongue: ?

If redux would support vsts, it would instantly become relevant to so many that don’t givea damn about the tracker, even in it’s current state. It’s not just instruments your getting (though surely many will be most pleased to run looped phraseat999BPM 256 LPB (slightly exaggerating the numbers here)). You get vst effects that can be routed anyway you want and that can be controlled neatly by renoise meta devices. Renoise’s meta device system and routingin instrument tracks is really neat compared to other daws (albeit the low resolution at lower lpbs).

Realistically we must remember that the renoise team is very very small, and renoisewith it’sdesign will never really sell like FL and other daws, and some things would simply require too much work to remake in another form, it’s safe to say that plugins is one of those things.

if its no 1996 anymore, than i guess all daws should have 1 common thing - getting shit together. most daws projects have samples all across hdd, some factory content somwhere else, vst folder, x32 x64 bit incompabillity. thats all results in crashes and a lot of precious time lost. i mean half of the problems starts with vst caused crash. no wonder more and more people moving into hardware and saying computers are unreliable, its not computers fault that it has impossible to manage all files and configs at once.

so…

Redux is available for Windows, OSX and Linux, in VST and AudioUnit formats. Your license does not restrict you to any particular platform, and is fully portable.

Faith in computers being restored.

Depends on how you work I guess. Having remote and local backup of everything, I’m rarely worried about assets. The DAW’s I use (Renoise, Logic, Live)keep single project files that are easily consolidated. If I worried, or just wanted to share a project, I’d only have to bounce/render/freeze as needed.

I agree that the level of containment and portability of using a single app or plug-in can be really useful. Especially when collaborating. Who knows/cares if relying on fewer plug-ins or apps is easier, better, safer, etc, on average…

To your point about getting shit done, I’m sure constraints like that help some be more crea- and productive, but I’d like having more options (specialized tools) for getting X done quicker with less effort, rather than fewer for getting X done slower with more effort. Even with realizing slower often yields better, more unique results. Since many times it isn’t an option. It’s between quicker with less effort and not at all. At least here. For instance I can make a lot of effort to model some .xrni that uses plug-in effects and/or instruments in Renoise, until I don’t miss any nuance, control, etc, and it’s completely sample-based and useable in Redux. I’d rather not though.

For ppl moving into hard- saying software is unreliable, I say try (VM) backups.

I feel like this is obvious, but the point of loading a VSTi in Redux would be to use Plugin Grabber. And to a lesser extent phrases.

I feel like this is obvious, but the point of loading a VSTi in Redux would be to use Plugin Grabber. And to a lesser extent phrases.

that would be a good reason to have both products from renoise :huh:

Not sure if I understand what you’re trying to say.

I can only speak for myself, but I won’t probably have a very great need of AU instruments in Redux, but I will have a great need of the Plugin Grabber. I think that would be a great thing with Redux.Carbonthief mentioned it too.

For instance: It’s a bit tedious to load Renoise with ReWire each time I just want to access that little synthriff-track with s/u/dxx commands for my Logic Project. Or my toms-track. Or whatever there might be.

I would probably be fine without the Plugin Grabber though, as there would perhaps be a quick workaround for it. But it would be handy indeed.

Perhaps you have other needs which Redux will fulfil. But last time I checked users are different and have different needs, generally. And by excluding great features is not really the same as keeping it simple.

we need to stop with the requests, because it could take another 2years in waiting :smiley:

lets see what it got!

we need to stop with the requests, because it could take another 2years in waiting :smiley:

lets see what it got!

That, on the other hand, I would sign. I actually said exactly this in the other thread. :slight_smile:

The effect was totally opposite thoughlol, if you keep on reading through the page there…

bigup to alpha testers for no leaks :smiley:

Hm… i still can’t get my head around it. Do i need another DAW now to use Audiotracks, drag n drop midi files and (bad word incoming:) Piano Rolls of my choise together with Renoise? Smart idea… So it’s not Renoise with Audiotracks but Audiotracks with Renoise? But I can not use patterns to create a whole Song? I can only use phrases with Redux?

I might have a closer look to Sonar again…