Resolution Of The Notes

Renoise and trackers in general are very good, powerful and easy to use music creation tools… no doubt about that…

the only problem with renoise is resolution of the notes… That is especially imortant when i want to create drum tracks with “live” feel.
As i mostly compose breakbeat type of music the inability of creating vivid grooves is what bothers me the most…

I even started creating drum loops in other software and then importing them as a samples into renoise…

I’m just thinking is there something we can do about that?

I mean… with Sonar or Cubase you can do wonders with those groove quantizations… :)

4 example Arguru’s Aodix is a tracker but with free notes resolution.
This was discussed many times before…
Till now solution is node delay command. But it’s more like workaround.
Pattern zoom maybe?

A question of speed…

This thread deals with resolution and zooming.

This is also my nr 1 wish for next renoise version.

It may not look as a glamorous feature for many ppl using a tracker. But I cant see how the other big features as sequencer/pianoroll/synching to real BPM/Audio tracks etc can be that usefull without a better resolution first.
For anyone using a midi keyboard to insert notes, this is a ‘must have’.
Try for instance to play a simple 3 note chord in cubase. You will not be able to press those three notes exactly at the same time. That very tiny little delay between notes can in many cases be all the difference from an organic/live sound or a synthetic dead sound.

glad to see that developers discussed it a year ago ;) it gives hope :)

it will be definately number 1 feature i will vote for… :)

Why not try using the Fruity Loops VST plugin? You can load it as a VST into renoise, sync it up and any samples you have loaded into Fruity, can be manupulated via its own resolution independent of RN.

Just a thought…

Monotron

i dont quite understand what you mean… :unsure:

With rewire i could do that but using FL as vst client in renoise dont help much…

Hi Trackit.

Sorry - I probably didn’t explain myself very well!

Fruity loops now comes with an extra that means the whole program can be used as a VSTI. an example:

1. Load Renoise

2. Open the Fruity loops VSTI (NOT Fruity loops the program - maybe I shouldn’t have used teh word ‘sync’).

3. Click in to the Fruity loops VSTI and lay down a drumtrack using FL’s sequencer. Change your beats around as much as you like using FL’s resolution to get a realistic feel.

4. Click back into Renoise and when you press start, the drumtrack you made with fruity loops will start automatically in time with Renoise.

5. Add whatever else you need using Renoise.

I guess it IS syncing in one shape or form, but simplified…

I hope that explains it a bit better… Best bet is to get a demo of FL and try it out for yourself :)

Monotron

are you sure?

as far as i know you can trigger samples/instruments but not sequences…

:unsure:

have you tried it? or you just guess?

Doing it now :D

I would use it more often, but to be honest, I WANT my music to sound synthetic and robot-like, & have never really liked the piano-roll way of making music… <_<

Try it. FL Studio 5 (& I think the version before). Just make sure you install the FL VST into your Renoise VST folder.

Let me know how you get on…

Monotron

This is right from the FL website. Sorry everyone - I don’t want to turn this into a FL advert! :rolleyes:

FL Studio as a Plugin (VSTi/DXi2)

FL Studio can be loaded and used as a VSTi or DXi2 instrument in a compatible host application. In this mode the output is sent to the host; the play/stop events and tempo are synchronized as well. Controlling FL Studio channels and parameters using MIDI messages is supported. You can also send each mixer track to a separate output, if the host supports VSTi/DXi plugins with multiple outputs.

Monotron

oh yeah… i got it…

but somehow the sound starts later… how you put it in sync?

I just made a ‘intro’ block of 32 steps (in Renoise). FL seems to give some sort of a count-in before it plays it’s sequence, but this can probably be changed in FL settings (?).

For now, if you use a 32 step intro before you go to the song, they ‘should’ sync together OK from that point on.

I have really only used it to test it out, so I am no expert. :(

Maybe someone else here has more experience with the FL VSTI?..

Anyone?.. :unsure:

Hope you can get it working the way you want it! :)

Monotron

The best way to get a LIVE feel will always be to use LIVE drum samples.

Breaks has lost its way…

:drummer:

Why dont you double or quad up your Bpm/Speed for the patterns that need the higher res. That way youll have double or more the ammount of resolution. 16 beats becomes 4 etc.

yes, but its not enough :)

I think the resolutions is there, you just need to know how to access it.

Have you tried enabeling Record note delays and double the resolution to 12 or 16 and double the speed?
Together with the noteoff after x tick. The resolution in Renoise is quite high.

I have a hard time imagining that resolution would not be high enough?

Try setting the resolution to 12 or 16 and put a short tick sounding sample sample on 12-15 tracks on the same line next to eachother each with a note delay from 0-15.

Then you might get an idea of how high that resolution is. Should definatly be enough for making it humanized.

What you have to do to get is to use two or more tracks to fit the notes between eachother.

If you want to make a highhat tick, that sounds humanized at a high resolution of say 12-16 its not enough with one track.
You can try this:

Set the speed to around 16, and the BPM to 290.

01 C &nbsp;  
02 C d6  
03 C d1  
04 C &nbsp; &nbsp;   
05 C d1  
06 C d1  
07 C  
08 C d1  
09 C &nbsp; &nbsp;   
10 C d1  
11 C  
12 C d1  
13 C &nbsp; &nbsp;   

Now it doesn't sound that intresting.  
What you can do is to add 1 or more tracks to add more hits that will be played between these.  

01 C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; C d9 &nbsp; &nbsp; 02 C d6 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;C d2  
03 C d1 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- - -  
04 C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; C d6 &nbsp; &nbsp;C d9 &nbsp; &nbsp;  
05 C d1 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- - -  
06 C d1 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- - -  
07 C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - - -  
08 C d1 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;C d9  
09 C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; C d6  
10 C d1 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- - -  
11 C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - - -  
12 C d1 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- - -  
13 C &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; C &nbsp;d7  

Ofcourse you also need to humanize the volume.
Now this is not meant to sound good, its just an example of how to access the high resolution.

Now, just go ahead and experiment…

No need to complicate things with FL I think…

yeah, thanks, i tried now note delay effect by inserting them manually and it gives some improvment, but still, even if i delay only by one tick it still sounds rather little sluppy than humanized… This is OK when creating some medium/hard shuffle groove etc, but not OK if i want to just humanize a little…

EDIT: yeah i slowed down a speed and doubled a tempo and it makes more sense now!! thanks

@splain
Just the fact that you have to double the BPM one or two times is the strongest evidence that this program has way to little resolution. This is a hack, screwing up your BPM synched vst’s etc.
And with no zooming/pianoroll you always have to make compromises on note/note-off placement resolution vs fx resolution vs scrollspeed vs screwed up BPM :)

But if non of this matters to a persons way of tracking, then of course you can get more resolution as you described.
A question of speed covers all the arguments very well I think.

cheers

its just like it was 10 years ago isnt it?
this is where programs like acid! really show their worth among having these abilities.

fyi…i have to quadrupal my settings to be able to get the resolution i need.
speed 3, bpm 364 = good resolution @ 182bpm

the bad part tho is only being able to use up to 128 length patterns, but thats something else entirely…

I think this is related to what I’m asking for here.