ReWire: Max5 / Renoise Patch External

I’ve got an external build of the max5 patch i’ve been working on here, together with a template renoise file. Patch is unfinished but hopefully usable:

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/Live_patch_24.rar

What you will need to use it:
Max5 runtime (free from c74 site)
Renoise 2.1
Midi Yoke

It’s designed for the Korg NanoKontrol and Novation Nocturn though should be usable without.

The patch won’t tell you what controls are assigned to what cc values in renoise, so use the renoise template for that…

If anybody fancies trying it out let me know how you get on.

So what does it do?

It’s based around a patcher which plays a sound randomly from a bank of 10 or any one of those specifically. You can loop them or play them as one shots. You can trigger them randomly, with a repeater device, basic step sequencer, keystrokes or midi from renoise. It’s then got some speed adjustments and deformation, doppler, loop end point controls, finally its all run through renoise effects controlled by midi. Then there is also a granular synth configured to make drones, and some basic soundfile players. Oh and its got a basic sine wave generator for making some sub bass. Heres a screenshot:

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/maxmsp.JPG

and an example of what the ‘atomizer’ thing does, or can do:

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/JW_Live_Demo.mp3

shame I don’t have max 5 :(

The runtime is free, as mentioned:
http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/max5

But if you want to make your own patches, then yeah, it’s a shame. :]

i dont have max/msp will download the runtime,maybe i can get some ideas from some of the max stuff,i then can build for plogue bidule :D

EDIT:Genfu just have seen your renoise - max live patch looks really interesting,i will see if i can make something like that but with bidule,(if you have any pointers please share with me :D )

it’s mainly just getting the midi and rewire routings into a usable state. the key thing with this patch was using the max/msp bpatcher object which allows you to make the patches as modules which you then hook up as you want (and recall in other patches). it means i can reuse stuff like the midi-in and midi-out objects and the control surfaces quite easily if i design more instruments and whatnot, or just want a basic midi routing interface for renoise which labels what all the controls do on-screen. you’ll definitely be able to take a similar approach in bidule i would think.

one of the useful things about having it designed in this way is that its pretty easy to reassign an individual midi slider to multiple midi parameters in renoise, which you couldn’t (yet) do otherwise. you’ll want to keep a midi-out module seperate from your instrument for that, otherwise it’ll all be totally integrated and you’ll be starting from scratch at a later date. you can also do things like mute tracks in renoise via midi (where it just 0’s the amplitude but remembers what it was last was when you unmute it), its not in this patch but i made it and it works.

if we get pattern moving commands assignable to midi it’ll be possible to get an even nicer live interface going. as it stands i think you might be able to do this with the host transport rewire controls, but it’d probably be pretty tricky. i do also have a java based direct input keystrokes-out object someone made for max so you would be able to do anything you can with keyboard shortcuts via the patch (and thus via midi). this will work, unlike other macro mappings because its direct input, it works with games and stuff (i made a quake patch which you can control with max, quake would not respond to stuff like autohotkey or bome’s midi translator but it works with this). i don’t think you can control the new live-style pattern navigation with shortcuts yet, but when you can it’ll be sweet.

another idea which i just had is that you could read the renoise logfile in max and use it to trigger things that happen in the patch. for example, the logfile says:

Application: Successfully loaded ‘livetest1.xrns’.

so you get max to read the logfile and recognise what song you loaded. then it automatically loads settings in your max/msp patch for that song. could be pretty handy for a live scenario where you want to quickly load new settings. again i got the logfile reading thing to work in quake; its not too difficult. just an idea that one…

sounds cool,unfortunatly i dont have max,i only have bidule,i will try and see what i can come up with :D

i haven’t looked at bidule much, but you can probably do most of it. otherwise PD you definitely can.

i think i can get close to a basic version of this,if i use the audio matrix(because the step sequencer isent that good,need a overhaul IMHO Very Happy )

and build some loopers that uses audio buffers,and i need to look into building some sort of keystroke input device,where i can trigger different samples either using the keys on my laptops keyboard or a midi keyboard.

does this sound like the way to do it??

sure, you’ll probably find once you know what objects to use its not too difficult.

yeah i got some tips on the plogue bidule forum,so now i have the keystroke thing nearly done,have some of the other stuff done to,so it is atleast possible to make a simple version of your max/msp patch in bidule :D :yeah:

This thing sure looks sweet, and I didn’t know that the MAX runtime had Rewire support!
…but, I could’t make your patch work - even got a “midi feedback” error :(

Have you got some tips on a working Renoise/MAX configuration?

I’m just working on improving the layout and explanation of the patch right now, so it has some proper instructions about the MIDI routing. I’ll post it shortly when its done…

Okay here’s the updated collective (i’ll do a collective build which embeds the runtime when i figure out how :rolleyes: ):

Zip:

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/Live_patch_2.5.rar

Screenshot:

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/livepatch2.5.JPG

Video of the patch in action (61mb):

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/Dagon_2_Li…ideo_Shrunk.avi

This one has a significantly improved and clearer layout, and full instructions of how it all works. You can also use it more easily ‘stand-alone’ without Renoise as it outputs to 2 channels instead of 10 by default. If you click on the ‘patch info’ and scroll to the bottom i’ve got a description of how you should set it up to work with Renoise and MIDI Yoke step by step.

You also have buttons now that you can click which will then tell you what all the MIDI routings and actual cc# numbers are.

I think possibly the reason you got a MIDI feedback loop is because you need to assign letter abbreviations in the MIDI settings of Max, otherwise i think it’ll be sending and receiving from the same devices.

Awesome update :yeah:

The only thing that I had to figure out was to make the (Renoise) instrument “00” transmit it’s midi to MAX. Similarly, the patch mentions the abbreviated input “f”, but it’s not explained anywhere in the info?

Anyway, this is a lot of fun to play with. I’m especially impressed with the “atomizer” and “drone machine”, really good sounding! Shame that you (AFAIK) can’t save the setup with the free MAX 5 runtime - but then, it kinda lures you to doing something different each time :lol:

Yeah thanks, will try and make that abit clearer in the info.

No you can’t. I did try adding presets for the individual devices but they were doing weird things they weren’t supposed to, like adjusting controls they weren’t meant to on other devices… I might be able to add one general preset box for the whole thing.

What would be really useful is to be able to save the sound buffer settings and recall them, because it does have a habit of throwing up interesting results depending what sounds you load in, it’d be nice if you could store them. I’ll try and add that if I get time…

how have oyu wired up the sample buffers?audio file players or??

im trying to do something like that in bidule for my patch :D

so would be interested in knowing how you "wired "your patch up

in max you have a few different objects which playback samples. on the atomizer, i used the groove~ object which accesses buffer~ objects which you load the sounds into. groove~ allows looping and adjustments to the playback speed. when its in looping mode some routes and gates change which buffer~ the groove~ object accesses.

when its in one shot mode it actually switches to a different system where there are individual groove~ objects for the 10 buffers (hence you can have polyphony in one-shot mode).

hope that helps

Updated version:

http://www.loadsavedelete.com/g/Atomizer_Live_Patch_2.5.rar

the patch is the same, but i’ve made some changes to the instructions so its hopefully a little clearer how you set it up ReWired to Renoise. There’s also a pdf of the instructions and some added tables with the midi routings.