Sample Editor - Some Suggestions.

Some things I’ve come up with while making music and shaping sounds in Renoise:

• When Maximizing the volume of the sample - in the notification bar, show how many dB the sample was raised with, something like: “Done (gained 23.46 dB)”. This is useful if you want to normalize the sample, change bit depth from 32 to 16 bit and compensate with the amplifier in the Sample Properties.

• Make it possible to zoom vertically using the mouse scroll wheel, perhaps by holding the left CTRL-key while scrolling.

• Add a customizable fade-tool where you can define your own fading schemes, something like the customizable LFO in the LFO Device. So instead of “fade in” or “fade out”, you can have your own fade-envelopes. Sony Sound Forge’s “Fade Graphic” could also be used for inspiration.

i would love to see a simple 3 band eq in the sample editor too. sometimes i want to add samples to a certain track, but they just need a little bit of tweaking. this way i wouldn’t have to add a new track to the mixer for every new sample.

+1’s

I know what you’re saying, but when I for example want to remove low freqs in samples; I add an eq device to an empty channel, make sure my cursor in pattern editor is there, do some eq tweakage and press fx in the sample editor so the settings get rendered in. Not as fast as having your suggestion, but not that much work either.

Draw function:

• Not just freehand tool, but also line / curve tool.
  • Generate basic waveform.
  • Random waveform.

When i create a basic waveform, it would be nice to be able to some how unison/detune it by doubling the sample.
Atm. i do it with the chorus effect afterwards, it would be nice doing it while creating a sound.

Cheers.

Now that I’ve found out that you can copy and paste to Audition and back, I just do all this stuff in Audition.

hehe, yea but i don’t have audition. Doing it all in renoise would be great.

Selling point renoise:

Integrated Sampler

Edit and playback samples with the Sample Editor. Because really, why should you let yourself be distracted by switching back and forth to external editors?

Partly because Audition is a sample editor that has 15 years of development behind it so it has a much richer feature set, and partly because I’ve been using it almost that whole time so I’m very comfortable with it.

It’s a bit too pricy for me ( 415 euros ), but i do know it’s a very good editor. :)

Well, if you’re looking to go cheaper, there’s also Audacity, which doesn’t have everything Audition has but it does have some stuff.

fullofkittens tip also work on the cheap version of sound forge(sound forge audio studio)
just tested it

Yea, audacity is an option.

mm,. not that expensive…interesting :)

i used to use wavesaur,but sound forge audio studio 9 have more options and just suits me better,so i like it very much

I wanted a customizable Fade in and Fade out option for a long time,

even Fasttracker 2 had one where you could change the start and end percentage (between 0% and 200%)

+1

Please!

that i would also like to see in renoise

Wouldn’t a volume automation curve on the master track be enough to do fade ins/outs?

Seems like you look for the same in a sample editor as me. Tried all the freeware ones I could and would say Waveosaur is by far the best. Batch processing was a little clunky but the thing that made it unsuitable for me is the fact it can not handle large files (somewhere around hour and half/two hours IIRC.) So I also bought SoundForge Audio Studio. Quite a bargain for the price and SoundForge has always been my favourite editor.

When I’ve got a bit more time and energy I might make a suggestion for a standalone Renoise Wave Editor with slightly expanded features (including disk streaming for large files) as trying to move to Linux and I can’t find anything else I like working in so still have to come back to Windows occasionally just for SoundForge.

Biggest omission in the current sample editor imo is the inability to edit separate channels in stereo files.

Do a larger area fade-in in the left channel, smaller fade in the right to create a panning fade, reverse a portion in a beat only in one channel, apply fx only in one channel etc etc.

Yeeessss… Very much please.

Also something that was missing from many of the freeware sample editors I tried out and something I insist on having on my main sample editor.

Definite +1 for being able to in Renoise!

Great suggestion, I also miss being able to edit separate channels in stereo files. +1!