Scream Filter!!!

Jonas, I’ve been playing with engineers filter from rsmet, and I do see some interesting shapes there, I’ll take a look at that further. Thanks for the help.

Was this the first filter that was lousy>got removed>back by dope demand?

rsmet engineers filter is a beast, what a shame it can’t be automated. : (

I know man. But it’s really really great for experiments and sound design. All of his plugins are very well made. Maybe we could give him a nudge and ask for EF2 :)

What happened to scream filter, it was a must have tool for some of my drum and noise synthesis inside renoise…

And renoise team why you always are disabling some good features? I still have installed early renoise versions for that reason.

If you don’t want to show them i the effect panel make a hide button for them but dont disable them as they still active when loading old tracks anyway…

Scream filter is old filter 2 and a rectifier ( absolute value ) behind it .

It takes about ten mouseclicks to recreate in reaktor .

Or take any other filter and ad a rectify module …oh yeah renoise doesn’t have math modules …

Scream filter is old filter 2 and a rectifier ( absolute value ) behind it .

It takes about ten mouseclicks to recreate in reaktor .

Or take any other filter and ad a rectify module …oh yeah renoise doesn’t have math modules …

You think buying expencive software to replicate simple filter is the answer… :)I will go with the utility tool, the main question is why hide filters when they are still active for the backwards compatibility…

rectifier? Try the distortion device in “shift” mode. dunno why they called it “shift” and not “rect” which would be more logical

Rectifier? Why would you need to rectify audio, wouldn’t it just turn into DC?

Honestly i never got anything useful out of the scream filter, i can’t remember using it at all actually.

Rectification is a cool distortion. It shifts a sine wave one octave up, and generates lots of even order harmonics. That’s why the rectifier in renoise’s distortion module is named “shift”. Of course rectification creates dc offset, so there needs to be compensation, like with a dc trap hipass filter and an adapting offset - the renoise rectifier does that automatically. I’m pretty sure you’ve already used it, without knowing its a rectifier because it has a different name. Put a reso filter before the shift distortion, and you have kind of a sound like the old scream filter.

Yes, the scream filter sound is kind of “special”. I don’t like it either, and imo unfiltered rectification is in the “thing is severely broken” kind of soundscapes realm. But I use the shift distortion, in combination with parallel processing and post filtering and so it can create cool timbres.

Ok, i was thinking of rectifying as in electronics where you rectify a signal by using diodes to force it in one direction, in other words into a DC signal. Seems quite different from the rectifying you are talking about. Seems a bit weird to call something like that a rectifier imo, i don’t understand how that can rectify, as in the meaning of the word, anything at all?

Yes i use the shift distortion quite often. I like for instance a sine wave with a shift distortion followed by a fold distortion and filter at the end. Modulate the filter for a wobbling bass.

Rectifier? Why would you need to rectify audio, wouldn’t it just turn into DC?

Honestly i never got anything useful out of the scream filter, i can’t remember using it at all actually.

Well like I said , the scream filter is a low pass filter+res and a rectifier after it …a bit of gentle highpass filtering to roll of the low end ( dc offset .) 2 hZ is enough

Why , because I recreated an exact copy in reaktor .

Sound example of reaktor primary /renoise scream filter

https://app.box.com/s/zvik8apxkacdj81a39yi6vtso1gf5itx

You think buying expencive software to replicate simple filter is the answer… :)I will go with the utility tool, the main question is why hide filters when they are still active for the backwards compatibility…

The utility tool won’t do it , because you’l need to process each sample iow … @ audio rate .

Yes , I have been asking for a formula device that processes at audio rate for ages .

And yes , I have bought reaktor .8 years ago for a verry nice price 150 euro , which is not much considering it costed around 450 .

You can get it now for 200 …GO for it

You can recreate scream

Low pass filter + distortion module set to shift ( no changes made )

Ok, i was thinking of rectifying as in electronics where you rectify a signal by using diodes to force it in one direction, in other words into a DC signal. Seems quite different from the rectifying you are talking about. Seems a bit weird to call something like that a rectifier imo, i don’t understand how that can rectify, as in the meaning of the word, anything at all?

Yes i use the shift distortion quite often. I like for instance a sine wave with a shift distortion followed by a fold distortion and filter at the end. Modulate the filter for a wobbling bass.

Exactly , rectifying is not just adding a constant offset , it is in fact mirroring the negative phase upwards–> positive .

If you’ll look at the screenshot you’ll see that the negative portion of the saw wave is flipped , it becomes a triangle with positive energy only , the ripples are because of the resonance .

Some verry mild hp filtering to get rid of dc offset, a log value of 2 is about 5 hz ( out of my head ) .

Do the following test , draw a saw wave and select the distortion module ( don’t change anything ) , set to shift and look at the osciloscope …what do you see/hear …?

A triangle wave ( witth a spike in the middle ) , the shift algoritm is also using a rectifier .

Now add a low pass filter before the distortion it …et voila

Scream filter = low pass filter + distortion in shift mode .

Problem solved …

Thread can be closed

:slight_smile:

@thebellows: It’s rectifying because a diode bridge rectifier without a smoothing capacitor would be usedfor thiseffect withelectronics, with a high pass pass filter after to get rid of the resulting DC offset.

Bridge-Rectifier-Input-Output-Waveforms.

Exactly , rectifying is not just adding a constant offset , it is in fact mirroring the negative phase upwards–> positive .

If you’ll look at the screenshot you’ll see that the negative portion of the saw wave is flipped , it becomes a triangle with positive energy only , the ripples are because of the resonance .

Some verry mild hp filtering to get rid of dc offset, a log value of 2 is about 5 hz ( out of my head ) .

Do the following test , draw a saw wave and select the distortion module ( don’t change anything ) , set to shift and look at the osciloscope …what do you see/hear …?

A triangle wave ( witth a spike in the middle ) , the shift algoritm is also using a rectifier .

Now add a low pass filter before the distortion it …et voila

Scream filter = low pass filter + distortion in shift mode .

Problem solved …

Thread can be closed

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the hint, will test if it works for my drum synthesis and some other instruments i made using sream filter…

don’t forget to put a filter in front of the dist ( shift mode) …drive set to zero …as seen in screenshot

I have build a doofer and mostly this setup works, LP+shift distortion almost sounds the same yet there is some audible compression, but i find very different results when you set HP and shift distortion, it sound different (i droped some break to test the results and filter+distortion setup sound more compressed while original scream filter sounds more gated)…

I made a test track… Any help to solve this?

Download link
https://we.tl/75fE7crwHk

The original scream filter has an older filter algoritm .

It’s basicaly as I have described , no intricate algoritms …just plain rectifier after filter .,

Could also use (filter ) pow¨^² , or filter multiplied by itself …almost the same result …but atm renoise doesn’t give us the option to do math stuff at audio rate .

The original scream filter has an older filter algoritm .

It’s basicaly as I have described , no intricate algoritms …just plain rectifier after filter .,

Could also use (filter ) pow¨^² , or filter multiplied by itself …almost the same result …but atm renoise doesn’t give us the option to do math stuff at audio rate .

Pity, this proofs that some times it’s useless to hide some effects… Afcourse i’m ok with making some doofers but you know i don’t want to wait for that day when developers will decide to hide reverb and offer to make doofer out of delays to make a reverb… :smiley: