Send Song Positon Pointer To Plugins - Syncing Plug/Host Timelines

i work with small patterns like 64 or 128 and start from the beginning of a pattern to play, so no issue for me, but i can see what you mean.
autoscroll is always off here ;)

ok, do you need a new video to see that nearly same things happens with ReNoises shortcuts ?? Test it yourselve :-).
BUT not allways the same: Only jump more then one line (FN and arrow up/down) will have “nearly” allways effect, that new song-position will be send. No effect while using only arrows or other jumping. Ok, that will reduce the problem for No-Mouse-scrollers. Not like it has to have but …

The Reason why mousescrolling:

my son used a script that records the mouse too (and a protocoll) because after that we could reproduce exact same situation in other trackers and sequencers to see what happens there and which one is using “hardsync” or only sync etc. while stopped scrolling at new position btw. click in new timeline …
If he would have used your shortcuts, this shortcuts will not have effect by some other programms, you know, each appl. has his own shortcut but mouserecords can be edited like that, that they will be working in other appl. too. AND (reason 2) with shortcuts you can´t select a timeline of other programms (most shortcut there only via EXAMPLEWORD: marker … but this is not same effect because position is often memorized …)

Reason C: I use mouse too because I don´t wanna learn each shortcut from each program I´ve to use. I´m not “Einstein” :slight_smile: (Yes I know, your "position-"shortcuts a nearly standard, but I ám like I ám … :slight_smile:

Reaason D: If you´ve a mac mouse it´s faster and simpler to work with that scrollfeature then with shortcuts.

AND let me say:

ALL OTHER appl. does the right thing. Only … not … ok, you heard it now often enough and you don´t like me now anymore … and I stop to say … But I know that long time before because I tested it x-hundred times under same and other conditions.

Yes, sorry, for peoples eyes this mousescrolling is heavy. You´re right, but that does not change anything about the facts.

:slight_smile: So you know now too about that ReNoise sends “song-position” and that there is a BIG!! different between synced plugs, timeline synced plugs and SP-synced plugs.

Maybe, now it´s enough about that problem or (if you name it like that) feature. If you will change / fix it, fine, if not … no problem for me. :slight_smile:

well he never said that it`s working when using the shortcuts. simply turn off the pattern follow and the problem is gone. ofcause, this will not fix the problem your talking about but it´s the only way to avoid that sync problem at the moment :)

Bug: When I turn the steering wheel in my car, it doesn’t go left!
Reality: Car was parked. In order to go left, the car must be moving.

Scroll wheel, with patten-follow on = needs more driving lessons…

Yes, your tipp is a workaround for ears and really more because: Touching the RETURN button at new position will send a “songposition-information” too. :slight_smile: Hahaha :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and they don´t know ggggg. Now the problem is smaller again :slight_smile: great, I´m down … funny … jokly … Thx.

If this RETURN-Button will be allways sends a songposition (scrolling while playing and then push RETURN = ReNoise sends new songposition) this will be a fine workaround-fix too.

Because:

only one new problem, in this case you switch song-follow off, we cannot scroll in patternview with mouse (important with long songs) or is there now another workaround?? shortcuts doesnt help here (MAC) <<<<<<

You´re right, vV / Vv does not say that this will fix the problem because he don´t know much about ReNoise (???) ggg, that while he does not know that using “some” shortcuts results in that ReNoise sends really a new songposition too (not all working and not at all but …). That will make the problem smaller, your tip makes the problem smaller again …

Ok, no fix, but if we read in the manual next: Please no scroll with mouse while autoscroll is on: Then this problem is … no, then it does not happens at all and its like … like fixed gg :slight_smile: Thread closed ??

I know: You´re the god of ReNoise, you knowing and understand ALL and you´re master of wise words. Without you´re words and knowledge this world will be really poor. To much blank space then here and no chance for you to be a “GuruGuruReNoise-tellsomethingmore without sense 5945654 member” Thanks I missed your comment, your poetry today.

:drummer: OK here NOW is ONE Working workaround for this problem: :drummer:

scroll to new position (while ReNoise playing with pattern-follow ON) and then push on MAC (on PC I´ll look later) Computerboard “FN”+“RETURN”-Keys. The new song position will be send from ReNoise to slave-plug. In same moment a range in track (actuall playing beat or what you defined) will be selected / highlited (yes thats what the shortcut is defined for). So push “FN” and “RETURN” again, the beat will be deselected and the result is:

All is in sync, slaves (plugs like BPM and other slaves like it) are at right position AND the problem with lost line is fixed and scrolling in pattern-screen left will work fine too …

NOW: it´s not a FIX but a definitly working workaround that fixed other problems too !!!
Thx, I was really shure, that if the song-position will be send / memorized the right way, that the other problems are fixed too … and voilá

End of learning-lesson !!! greetz to ReNoisers Devs. !!!

i can always scroll in patternview, maybe you´re talking about scroll between patterns ?

Yes I mean “between pattern” (scrolling from one pattern to another in pattern view so that the new pattern is active).

But because there is now a “working workaround” (No fix!) it´s no more a problem at all. Can let “Song-follow” switched on now. See my post before.

Thx, your first post helped to gave me one more idea where to search for a workaround and stop some other problems … And I found it.

{offtopic}

What does ggg mean?

I’ve been translating it as a nervous type giggle but pretty sure that isn’t correct.

[/offtopic]

Glad you’ve at least found a workaround for now.

Sounds like Renoise sends some forms of Song Position data to VSTs but not the same as all plugins us all the time (while playing.) I would guess what needs to be done is a check what BPM using to lock synchronisation and check that Renoise is sending this to plugins that might require it (whether this is MIDI SPP or something completely different I couldn’t personally say, the fact it works at starting, or hitting Enter to play line implies it is in Renoise somewhere, just not sent to Plugs as standard.)

as far as i understand it´s only when you use the mouseweel (means using the mouseweel does not send any songpossition data)

g = grin ggg = grin broadly

Yes, this message (Song Position Data) by default will not be send at all while playing, because the own timeline of those kind of plugs it is not needed and not helpfull too. Today they don´t need anymore any “hardsync” (= for each new position while playing a new exact position-information from host)

The different between diff. plugs to work is: what kind of those informations/DATA a host sends, a slave/plug-ins will / can use or will be ignored by plug. The host has to send allways “all needed”.

Often in sequencers / hosts this exact position-information-message (DATA) will be sent while:

starting / restarting (after change position).
To avoid some sync-glitches: while stopping / pause

Tricky too “WHILE HOST NOT PLAYING”: while selecting (ENTER/RETURN/mouseclick) a note-event in editor (Trackscreen / key- / listeditor and more)
or will be sent while change position step by step / line by line (with each step send a position-information)

The devs from ReNoise will find the message in their code/listing. I don´t wanna speculate about that conditions anymore.

Renoise is sending correct/accurate timing information to plugins.

If you use a plugin which accurately monitors this timing information such as Kondor by Tobybear (Windows only), then you can see that the plugin is receiving the correct timing information no matter what you do in Renoise. It does not matter if you scroll with the mouse, keyboard or scrollbar, or whether pattern wrap is enabled or disabled.

Just watch this demo video I’ve recorded:
renoise-song-position-sync.avi

The value ppqPos is the current song position measured in quarter notes (beats). You can clearly see that this value is constantly updated and accurate no matter where you are in the song or how you move around. The value samplePos is the current song position measured in samples, and this is also always accurate. Renoise does not really have any explicit settings for time signature, so the barStartPos value is simply counted as being 4/4 timing, but nevertheless it is always accurate and in sync.

If the plugin loses sync for any reason, then as far as I’m concerned it’s the fault of the plugin, not Renoise!

using mousewheel or scrolling with scrollbar (right) has NOT to send songpositiondate. No, that not I´m talking about.
Global: the problem is that ReNoise in some situations does not send the actuall new songposition. Mostly not after you scrolled in Trackwindow while playing. It seems (based on that problem) in some other cases too.
And it does not a big diff. on what kind/way you scroll (shortcut or mouse or ext).

shortly first: YOU ARE NOT RIGHT! Read what you see in your tools AND read what we are talking about.

And think about sense / ways how to get song-position in what case and with what kind of plugs (features of plug)!!! Please let me not write a long statement how and why plugs uses in many cases NOT some kind of sync/positioninformations.

I´ve this tools (and some more) which you are using in your video too. We are talking about different things. Read and analyse clearly what you see in your tools. And explain it right. AND sorry:

Why does this problem we are talking about ONLY happens in ReNoise?! (See my list) I can demonstrate some protocolls / some videos from tools too what happens in ReNoise and what not. Does that make sense?

Test my workaround, look what ReNoise sends on start, stop, while scrolling in Patternview and on “explicit” manually restart.

Then tell me why ReNoise does this in some cases like that what this kind of plugs need if (like you sugessting) all plugs may be synced like you want to show, want to shout out (without notice what we are talking about). Then tell me too why then my workaround (and some more) does what needed??

PROBLEM: we are talking a problem about: ReNoise sends what needed “NOT AT ALL!” - sometimes this position-message will be missed or is broken or lost or forgotten from ReNoise. Name it like you want … …

I like that you too are a great FAN (a patriot -superuser) from renoise. But I remember same worry statements about that too by renoisedevs. Often I read: Its the plug!! Not only because that problem, not only because BPM. It seems it´s a standard-statement that does not allways make sense. And sorry: People (me too) can show them, thats not right what the statements tell. But anyways …

Clearly:

The problem not only happens with BPM (I used BPM as example because ReNoisers has exact same plug so that there is same base now to look for that problem). We can change the plug, we can do a list here from other plugs where the problem happens too (MAC & PC & Linux) or we can simple let it like it is (using the workaround) or devs. can change / fix it. It´s simple as that.

But: do not tell something wrong about another software (here BPM but we can change) because wrong analysed tooldata and not exact knowing about what happens :)

And again: There is no other “established” (and from small companies too) host / sequencer I / we´ve found where this song-position problem happens with BPM (btw. the other plugs same kind)!!! Check it you´re own.

Pay my time and I´ll do some examplevideos with many, many (really many) other hosts to show that it is working perfect there. (See my list some threads before) I´ll synchronize each video, if needed, with all the comments here in forum.

I´m a fan of ReNoise too but this does not mean for me to close my eyes and not to see a problem that can (maybe?? / has to???) be fixed.

Fact:
the workaround works and so it´s working now for me and each other user (hopwfully he´ll find this or another workaround) which maybe have same problem. A fix will be fine but it has no prio A. Maybe in a later version!

PS. if you use the tools, you can see some other nice thing like: sometimes while stopping ReNoise (going back to first eventposition) it sends because negative-values (- xx) some quirx-positiondata (like measure 99455) as first position and some nice things like that more :-). It´s not a big thing - but funny :)

:rolleyes:

only the first textline :slight_smile:

fine to read you again! And wow !!! again and again you present real fundamental statements. Maybe, I think in 1.000.000.000.000.000 years I´ll be fan from you!! Please remember me some hours before this moment :panic:

i’m beginning to grow tired of your condescending behavior. i can imagine i am not the only one. stop acting like you are some kind of victim here.

Just post a screen capture video displaying your problem. (Free desktop capture software: http://camstudio.org/)

Your texts are long as hell and very hard to understand, this isn’t helping to solve any issues at all.

i’m beginning to grow tired of your condescending behavior. i can imagine i am not the only one.

may be no problem for me. my intension is not to get applause here and not to get reputations. I’m shure my answere was in that case ok. Also too my answere to your friend member “dblue” (s.above). (reputations does´nt change facts!)
But I respect your post because I so often feel same about other members while reading their post´s / answeres here. And I know I´m not alone like that too.
But I never will post then something like you´d done now because I don´t know nothing about YOU and why a kind of post was placed.

But nice to hear what to do:

stop acting like you are some kind of victim here

when have I to begin so that I have to stop it? if it seems like that, sorry. don´t worry about that. This forum has a strange dynamic to eisegesis. Never seen that before …