Send Song Positon Pointer To Plugins - Syncing Plug/Host Timelines

this long threads began with a simple, short 4 textlines bugreport and sending examples a really long time ago :huh:

sorry if you don´t read it because my long posts:

I solved that problem - I found a workaround (no fix) - posted it!

not to forget: AND I posted a videoexample too.

This thread maybe can been closed since a long time. But it is´nt and so now we are in a phase like a cycle / repeating same things.
Ok, if it will closed maybe I´ll missing then this nice aides advisers or funny jokes :blink:

I think it’s all getting way too personal here.

JdS, you think renoise’s behaviour is wrong. Fine. So, please get the specs for host-plugin-communication and cite the points where you think renoise is wrong. This is what specs are made for.

Then how do other sequencers handle this situation as they seem to somehow be capable of keep the sync tightened a lot better.

I think it’s all getting way too personal here.
_* +1

JdS, you think renoise’s behaviour is wrong. Fine. So, please get the specs for host-plugin-communication
_* Shure? Show me in which post I said exactly that ReNoise does something wrong “based on specs for host-plugin-communication”.

Some softwarecompanies rate a “behaviour” in a class like that I´m talking about (in their own software too) as “bug” and others as “inconsistent” – because a usable workaround (see my post about that) - I think inconsistent is actually the best description – .

and -cite- the points where you think renoise is wrong
_* for the behaviour we are talking about we must not attempt the spects …
… see before and please read what problem I´m talking about …

This is what specs are made for.
_* thx. You´re right. Since a long time I´ve to work “based on that spects” again and again …

Do you reply to post of dblue or is it a additionla question to my post´s?
I´m asking because I never talk about “that Renoise” is´nt tight.

If you talking about what I mean then:

other sequencers does the following:

(s. my post about:)

sending a position-message while:

starting
explained itselve.

Renoise is doing that <<

restarting
talking about restarting after change position while playing = landing at a new position -
in this case maybe best: in the moment scrolling stops / or as workaround: you reach new position and hit a key that in result sends the new position – see workaround

• in some rare cases in sequencers you can check a box that while scrolling to new position there is something like a hardsync that sends each new position-step a message - (checkbox and this sometimes too for each plug seperatly - because it´s not allways usefull - example: if a multimode-slave will play each new actual event while changing position) - but this is´nt needed.

ReNoise is doing that if you scroll in patternview (left side) from pattern to pattern while playing and while stopped, – sometimes, hard to attach when and why, here is a crux if you scrolled before in tracklist <<
ReNoise is doing that while stopping before, and then restart “SHIFT” + “SPACE” <<
ReNoise does not while playing if / after you scroll(ed) in tracklist / trackeditor, but some (?) shortcuts for to change position between lines results in sending that information too. <<

click dbl.-click / change new position in timeline / change position in position-display
will sent it too - the message would be send after click (mouse up) at new position.

ok, there actually is no timeline in ReNoise you can select / change with mouse
BUT: you can select and scroll the scrollbar right from trackedit AND:

often but not at all scrolling with scrollbar will send positioninformations (realtime) too. But not at ALL - and there are often glitches.
Glitches are: ReNoise jumps while scrolling to a position that may be really not the right new play position. And as example: if you´ve 3 pattern (8 bars each pattern) in song and you scroll down then ReNoise often jumps after measure 16 back to measure one and after that to measure 24 and to 0. More then one time there happens really wild thing.
clicking at a positon in srollbar will sent information too. Check it yourselve: (Range = one pattern / jumps often too)
The position-message will only be sent if you have set “pattern-follow ON” and in both situations then: while playing and while stopped - while stopped the position range happens withing one pattern and while playing withing the whole songrange (it seems, because if mouse is at last position / bottom of scrollbar the next pattern will begin to play and changes the timerange of the scrollbar) <<

To avoid some sync-glitches: sends information while stop- / pause playing

ReNoise is doing too while stopping <<

Tricky too “WHILE HOST NOT PLAYING”:
while selecting explicit (ENTER or RETURN or mouseclick or doubl-click) a note-event in editor (Trackscreen / listeditor)
or will be sent while change position step by step / line by line (with each step send a position-information)

AND

some sequencers (like apple logic) stopps synced slave while slide in timeline or position-display to a new position and start it again after you left mouse (mousebutton up) at new position

and it´s funny:
ReNoise sends this songposition message too if you select / activate (or deactivate) the loop range (Blockloop). And it sends the exact actual lineposition-information while select / push the Looprangebutton with mouse or via shortcut “FN” & “RETURN”. (Thats what I use actually as workaround). Both ways: while playing or while stopped

----------------------------------------

Because ReNoise does it in many situations - the kind of message actually can be found in Renoise-Code.

And here we are at the beginning of the discussion (long ago :-)) again: because ReNoise in some situation sends that position-information and in some situations not (and there is a glitch sometimes) I thought there is something broken in ReNoise and reported it as BUG !
Now we see: a big discussion for a small thing because that I´m “thinking” it can be fixed.
If it will not be fixed – Either ways / anyways!!! I don´t wanna have a discussion about that all again.
And if anyone has an idea how to explain that in less words, tell me!!
If I´ll find the time I´ll or let make a screenvideo of that again … But sorry it´s simple to reproduce …

Have contacted Motu to get that sort out.

Yo JdS, maybe next time you can write your problem up in your native language and have someone that knows English translate it for you. It would save everyone valuable time.

He did say he initially emailed Taktik, who is the chief developer and also German, before coming to the Board with his problem, so he did kind of try that to be fair to him.