Sidechain Compression - Done!

smart.

Make sure to post the track to me also!

;)

Okay, I managed to implement your idea into a track. I have a bassline split in low/sub and mid/hi and I sidechained both with the kick, by sending the kick signal to both bass-layers’ send-tracks (so both layers have their own compression). Though I’m still trying to wrap my head around how to tweak the buscompressor… how should I set the buscompressor? And why like that? My guess is a big attack and small release… I have the current compression based on eeter’s example, but put the threshold to -45 and used smaller attack and bigger release…

Also, I noticed the GHOST instrument in the percussion, is there a reason it’s there? Should I put a GHOST on my kick’s channel to go along the compression?

Will put up the xrns-file once I’m satisfied with the result. But seriously, the brilliance of this sidechain method IS the simplicity :D Once you get how it works, it’s pretty simple and not that much of a hassle to set up. Yes, you get a lot of send-tracks, but hey… fukkit… It’s SIDECHAIN right? It’s what some Renoisers would sell their nutsack for! :D

Eeter, thanks a million for this great idea! It’s fun and exciting to experiment with this setup!

Cool… :D multiband sidechaining. I haven’t had the chance to test this by myself but I had the idea.
But I still think that using the same compression parameters as me as no point… There must be some more and scientific information about it. I am quite dumb about benefitial compressor usage. Sorry :(

The ghost instrument is not used for compression. It’s just for triggering the LFO to create the one-sample-percussion. Not actually neccessary for this example…

I based my compression on yours because I thought it was ‘part of the sidechaining
process’ so to speak, but after some experimenting I found out it isn’t. It’s interesting that the lower
the volume of the channel you send through the sidechaining, the more obvious the sidechain-effect is.

I love how you have complete control over the process of the sound this way! Muting the kicks after
the sidechain-sends and exagerating the effect on strings are awesome! These are my first experiments
with sidechaining, so excuse my enthousiasm :D

I’ll post the track once its done :)

File is done. Looking for a way to share it, so spam coming soon.

Ze track:
http://johann-lau.de/collab/vivace/vivace_…ains_aside.xrns

thanks Johann for hosting :)

Bloody hell this is an excellent idea! Massive props.

Here’s a very simple demo I made to test it out for myself:
http://datassette.net/temp/sidechaining.xrns

how bout a sidechaining compressor … and a key input gater as well

GUYS? HUH? Huh

so i don’t have to keep shuffling back and forth between pro tools for this effects …
help a brotha out!!! RENOISE ^_^

This is damn sweet, got it on my playlist atm :drummer:

For textual help:
http://www.renoise.com/wiki/Sidechaining

Too complicated, and doesn’t sound good. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. But love you for trying :)

You probably are doing something wrong. Post your xrns and when I have the time I can take a look if you want.

I actually don’t think it’s too complicated once you get your head around what all the send tracks are doing. It took a while to set it up myself the first time, but I can now set it up fairly quickly and I was amazed just how good it sounds.

holy horse! :yeah:
great tune and perfect example for how good the native sidechain can sound with a proper sound design involved.
too bad the sendchannel frenzy kills multithreading efficiency - but nevertheless… if this ain’t predestined as a demosong i don’t know.
it’s musically original, lush sounding (!) and perfectly showcases a feature which was said to be undoable natively.
it’s also a good shocker for noobs as it rather looks like rocket-science than anything else :D
thanks for sharing, vivace!
kudos also to eeter for fiddling about that mind-twisting stuff!

Holy shite sir…!! :D Massive thanks for the props!!

… Can’t say I’d mind if this track was added as a demo-song, but considering the ‘workaround’ is relatively complex and somewhat ‘unofficial’, not to mention (hopefully) obsolete in the (near?) future…

came up with a way to use the Gate dsp a while ago to do a similar thing. thought i’d share it (if you don’t know how to do this already):

http://www.zshare.net/download/682877127dc64bff/

okay I’ve just discovered Sidechain Compression and it’s unfuckinbelievable how it can turn a rather flat mix into something really badass. (yes I’m a complete noob I know :D )

Now I’ll have to try to understand how you guys did it with native DSP only - or cross many fingers to find it in renoise’s next version … :rolleyes:

EDIT : now I understand how the trick works, but I can’t reproduce the sound I have with an external DSP. I guess it comes from the subtle tweaks of the compressor …

I do double duty on Ableton and Renoise these days, and even in Ableton with sidechaining natively available, i still actually prefer the oneshot LFO+gainer/filter approach in Renoise because of the control it gives you. For most purposes, manually ducking the signal is the more flexible, stable and preferable solution.

Cool technique, but i would never bother with it for the sake of a single channel’s worth of sidechaining when a manually tweaked duck will do the same thing and for all intents and purposes, better.

can you elaborate on “oneshot FLO + gainer/filter” ? Is it a LFO triggered by the kick altering the filter/gainer on the other track ?